Drum corps fads that need to stop

Many drum corps shows of today are starting to have more and more characteristics in common. Some of this is good, as there is always a standard structural "mold" shows should follow music-wise, and it's good to see some abiding by standards. But there are some that are just plain annoying and, in my opinion, need to go. Which of these have you personally found? I'll start.

1. Ballads that have the climax (full ensemble fermata) at the beginning of the ballad instead of the end. Structurally nonsensical. The entire ballad is supposed to lead up to this point, the audience is supposed to wait for it. Just giving it to them at the beginning is stupid. Classic ballads like Cadets' Make our Garden Grow, On My Own, Letter from Home, On a Hymnsong of Philip Bliss, Born on the Fourth of July, the Promise of Living, Year of the Dragon, Canterbury Chorale, City of Angels, Vide Cor Meum, and other's like SCV's Barber Symphony, Phantom's Lord's Prayer, Cavies' Harmony, etc. all do this correctly. Either have it at the end, or don't have it at all (Star's ballads).

Why should they have to adhere to a standard "mold?" I personally don't want to endure year after year of formulaic, paint-by-numbers shows-- sounds pretty boring. Granted, my personal tastes don't usually lean towards the "extreme" experimental side (which is relative, I know...) but I'd still rather have a little variety in my drum corps diet.

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:worthy:

agreed

what can be a cliche answer right now but it is a fad that needs to go away and we need to say it again...and again...and again...and again until DCI recognizes the fans DON'T want it.

I see we're beating a dead horse. Give me the bat, it's my turn.

DCI did not decide to allow amps, nor does DCI tell the corps to use them in their shows. The corps directors voted them in and the design teams decide weather or not to use them.

Yup. But they had a sure-as-FFFF climax about a minute before that, right where it should be. Perfect ballad.

Hmmm...examples? Can't think of any off of the top of my head (it's more of the lower-place corps that do this), but I've been hearing plenty of this.

Well to be technical, their ballad(Angus Dei) had the Big Ending, and then a wind down which went right in to their closer, David Gillinghams's "Stained Glass". SCV's quiet ending is part of Stained Glass.

I find nothing wrong with a corps changing up the format of their show. I am pretty tired of the standard "drum corps show template". Shows that end quietly, or don't even really have a ballad(X03) get cool-points from me because they are willing to break the mold and not just cram more of the same down our throats.

Fads that I would like to see ended

-Hornlines doing ballet/body moves for more than 15 cumulative seconds in the show. Once or twice is alright, but when a hornline does it constantly like some Glassmen shows, or PR 03, it gets tired fast.

-Narration, singing. Let's end that one before it even really get's off the ground. It was all the rage in WGI for a few years (01-03 mostly) and then people realized that drumming and marching are way sweeter. Let's hope drum corps' come to the same conclusion.

What drum corps fads need to stop? I'd start by eliminating brass sections. Saxophones and clarinets have sooo much more resonance from a football field. And I'd turn up the amps. I'd plug in more drum machines and add a holographic laser show as well, because THAT would rock!

LOL

I see we're beating a dead horse. Give me the bat, it's my turn.

DCI did not decide to allow amps, nor does DCI tell the corps to use them in their shows. The corps directors voted them in and the design teams decide weather or not to use them.

:worthy::wall: back atcha

Let me correct my statement then.....

"what can be a cliche answer right now but it is a fad that needs to go away and we need to say it again...and again...and again...and again until the CORPS DIRECTORS recognize the fans DON'T want it."

I can't imagine that I'm the only person that has stopped purchasing cds and dvds from DCI....I chose to narrow my support to corps who's program does not include amplified voices. At first I thought it was a fad but now realize it in fact may last. But I will not support corps who choose to utilize it and will continue to voice my opinion in the hopes that others will do the same. Maybe after this year Blue Devils can compare their sales from 2004, 2005, and this year and see what an enormous hit they took the year they used narration.

beating a dead horse? I don't think so. That horse is still very much alive and needs several more whacks.

Speaking of "structurally nonsensical," SCV once ended their show with their ballad at about a ppppp volume. It was tight, though. Very tight...

I'm thinking it was 2000(?)

History check--- '83, '84 SCV as well

:worthy::wall: back atcha

Let me correct my statement then.....

"what can be a cliche answer right now but it is a fad that needs to go away and we need to say it again...and again...and again...and again until the CORPS DIRECTORS recognize the fans DON'T want it."

I can't imagine that I'm the only person that has stopped purchasing cds and dvds from DCI....I chose to narrow my support to corps who's program does not include amplified voices. At first I thought it was a fad but now realize it in fact may last. But I will not support corps who choose to utilize it and will continue to voice my opinion in the hopes that others will do the same. Maybe after this year Blue Devils can compare their sales from 2004, 2005, and this year and see what an enormous hit they took the year they used narration.

beating a dead horse? I don't think so. That horse is still very much alive and needs several more whacks.

Hey, you have every right to your opinion. Just make sure you're blaming the right people! B)

And about the dead horse thing. If it were up to me, corps would still be using 3 valve G bugles. Corps directors would never go back because of the financial aspect and most current marching members laugh in my face if I mention it. Any-key brass and amplification are both here to stay and you'll be a happier drum corps fan if you don't let it bother you too much. Once I realized I still enjoyed shows I stopped complaining.

Why should they have to adhere to a standard "mold?" I personally don't want to endure year after year of formulaic, paint-by-numbers shows-- sounds pretty boring. Granted, my personal tastes don't usually lean towards the "extreme" experimental side (which is relative, I know...) but I'd still rather have a little variety in my drum corps diet.

Corey-- just a quick note that I like your screen name and avatar; I race a Buick (the 4 wheeled kind) in my spare time.

And now, back to our regularly scheduled programming...

Edited by SCVAlumTofRGuy

Well yeah, you're right, I think corps should do shows in a variety of formats, but I'm just saying they should usually contai elements like a ballad or slow section, percussion feature...stuff like that. Without them, there's not enough variety to the show in my opinion.