towards a formal method in drum corps aesthetics

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Your premises are inconsistent. You fail to address whether or not all male corps had exploited the formal elements of drum corps at the time; if not, then by your own explicitly stated schema, females being allowed to march was unnecessary. Instead, you changed your premise for whether or not they should be allowed to march from "change is unnecessary unless the formal elements of drum corps have been exploited" to "change is sometimes necessary if it increases a corps' talent pool." I don't blame you for that, but it's all that's going to happen in this thread. Over and over. Also, I think you'll find that a lot of people would disagree with your choice of shows that "benchmark" the full exploitation of drum corps formal elements status quo. But thanks for the explanation. :)

My only mistake was answering your question in the first place. My concern in this discussion is design and the formal elements of design. Because the gender of a member is usually not apparent from the box (the vantagepoint from which all shows are currently designed to be viewed) that aspect does not factor into design. Good performers exist on both sides of the gender binary, so it is probably bad policy for a corps to exclude on its basis alone. I'll bet there was one at least one girl in 2002 who was better than at least one guy in the Cavaliers. If she had marched they would've been better. But yes, an all-male (or all-female) corps can theoretically exploit all formal elements in show design to the same extent as a mixed-gender corps.

I recognize that some will disagree with my choice of example shows but I am willing to discuss those shows in great detail if anyone wants to challenge their status.

So if I go ice-skating alone while playing a clarinet is that drum corps?

I'm leaving the venue open to the possibility of indoor competitions as there were years ago, usually in a gym.

Feel free to explore the outer fringe if you'd like.

People on this forum are all about taking things out of context. Any one statement I make during the course of a discussion is probably qualified by several other statements, either in the same post or in different posts. For the sake of reasoned discourse I'd appreciate it if those who disagree would please consider my entire argument before isolating one phrase or sentence in an attempt to "catch" me at something.

This thread has pretty good discussion going on, but I think gender of performers should be left out. There are lots of reasons that a corps is either co-ed or single gender that have NOTHING to do with artistry, design, or aesthetics.

Agreed. I brought up 2 other points that had nothing to do with gender in which the same questions can be considered. Funny that the person who created this thread in the first place admonishes others for isolating a single statement. :worthy: I'm used to it. It's the way of things when people want desperately to be right. Signing off, and sorry if I caused problems by asking such questions.