What made you want to march the corps you march or intend to march?

For me, it was a few things:

I was offered spots at a few Top 12 corps (including a Top 3 corps), but I didn't "believe" in the corps philosphies, vets, or staff/directors. I didn't get good 'vibes' going to camps, and I figured that if I marched I would make Finals for sure, and make a run at a Championship. But I wasn't sure if I'd really enjoy myself.

My objections for marching corps were to get a good experience from a talented staff, learn playing skills that would help my teaching, make new friends, perform a good show I would enjoy performing every night, and I wanted to go to a place where I knew I would be treated well.

My wife (then girlfriend) turned me on to Kiwanis Kavaliers. In 1996 I was teaching a small Div. 3 corps (I was only 19 at that time), and during the course of the summer I got to meet and hang out with a lot of cool staff members from other corps. One night I was hanging out with Kiwanis, as one of their staff members, Stephanie Furnis, marched with my wife at Limited Edition and they were good friends. I had known Kiwanis from their Div. 2 days (they competed against my wife's corps, which was from my hometown so when I was in high school I followed the corps), but I hadn't paid a ton of attention to their jump to Open Class. I had heard they were doing WSS, and like most drum corps fans I did not care to see another rendition of that. However, I found myself captivated by their interp. of the show. They did the Buddy Rich and Stan Kenton arrangements, had a slamming drumline, and I _LOVED_ their visual program. I was really impressed. The few staff members I talked to were really cool, and I was impressed with everything I saw.

Flash forward to that fall/winter. I had turned 20 and with two years left I knew I had to march somewhere. I know it was destiny to march drum corps. Stephanie convinced me to check out Kiwanis, and when she told me show concepts for that year I was interested. I went to camp (I had the flue, AND it was Star Wars Special Edition opening weekend: so that's how dedicated I was :), and from the second I walked into the door I knew I had found home. The corps director came up to intruce himself to me immediately, and several vets came up to welcome me in. I loved the atmosphere of the organization, and when I went into the first rehearsal block and started drumming with the line, I knew I was hooked. The snare tech that year was Jason Parent, alumni of Kiwanis and Phantom Regiment and DCI snare solo champion in 1993 (I knew him from the video clip on the 1992 DCI videos). I learned a ton from him that first night, and I knew I loved at least the drum staff and members.

Over the weekend I go to know a lot of the vets and rookies, and quickly became friends with many of them. The staff was very cool, and I knew I would learn a lot. The corps was looking to build on their 14th place finish from 1996, and I knew it would be more special to try to help a corps make Finals for the first time in their history than it would be to make Finals (again) with another corps, or even win (another) ring with a championship corps. None of that was really as important as the journey.

Things only got better from there, and even though we didn't make finals, it was a great summer and I'm very proud of that show. I knew I couldn't not go back to age-out with my Kiwanis Kavalier family (even though I was never a huge fan of that 1998 show), and regardless of our lower placement I had a great (though challenging) summer. I've never had any regrets about not making finals (other than I'm bummed we didn't make Finals in 97), or not marching somewhere else. I loved those two years of corps, and the friends I made those summers.

Edited by perc2100

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For me, it was a few things:

I was offered spots at a few Top 12 corps (including a Top 3 corps), but I didn't "believe" in the corps philosphies, vets, or staff/directors. I didn't get good 'vibes' going to camps, and I figured that if I marched I would make Finals for sure, and make a run at a Championship. But I wasn't sure if I'd really enjoy myself.

My objections for marching corps were to get a good experience from a talented staff, learn playing skills that would help my teaching, make new friends, perform a good show I would enjoy performing every night, and I wanted to go to a place where I knew I would be treated well.

My wife (then girlfriend) turned me on to Kiwanis Kavaliers. In 1996 I was teaching a small Div. 3 corps (I was only 19 at that time), and during the course of the summer I got to meet and hang out with a lot of cool staff members from other corps. One night I was hanging out with Kiwanis, as one of their staff members, Stephanie Furnis, marched with my wife at Limited Edition and they were good friends. I had known Kiwanis from their Div. 2 days (they competed against my wife's corps, which was from my hometown so when I was in high school I followed the corps), but I hadn't paid a ton of attention to their jump to Open Class. I had heard they were doing WSS, and like most drum corps fans I did not care to see another rendition of that. However, I found myself captivated by their interp. of the show. They did the Buddy Rich and Stan Kenton arrangements, had a slamming drumline, and I _LOVED_ their visual program. I was really impressed. The few staff members I talked to were really cool, and I was impressed with everything I saw.

Flash forward to that fall/winter. I had turned 20 and with two years left I knew I had to march somewhere. I know it was destiny to march drum corps. Stephanie convinced me to check out Kiwanis, and when she told me show concepts for that year I was interested. I went to camp (I had the flue, AND it was Star Wars Special Edition opening weekend: so that's how dedicated I was :), and from the second I walked into the door I knew I had found home. The corps director came up to intruce himself to me immediately, and several vets came up to welcome me in. I loved the atmosphere of the organization, and when I went into the first rehearsal block and started drumming with the line, I knew I was hooked. The snare tech that year was Jason Parent, alumni of Kiwanis and Phantom Regiment and DCI snare solo champion in 1993 (I knew him from the video clip on the 1992 DCI videos). I learned a ton from him that first night, and I knew I loved at least the drum staff and members.

Over the weekend I go to know a lot of the vets and rookies, and quickly became friends with many of them. The staff was very cool, and I knew I would learn a lot. The corps was looking to build on their 14th place finish from 1996, and I knew it would be more special to try to help a corps make Finals for the first time in their history than it would be to make Finals (again) with another corps, or even win (another) ring with a championship corps. None of that was really as important as the journey.

Things only got better from there, and even though we didn't make finals, it was a great summer and I'm very proud of that show. I knew I couldn't not go back to age-out with my Kiwanis Kavalier family (even though I was never a huge fan of that 1998 show), and regardless of our lower placement I had a great (though challenging) summer. I've never had any regrets about not making finals (other than I'm bummed we didn't make Finals in 97), or not marching somewhere else. I loved those two years of corps, and the friends I made those summers.

That must of been amazing.

Velvet Knights - close to home and met a few guys from San Diego State's marching band who marched in it.

Santa Clara Vanguard - the first time I saw them was from the sidelines in '86 and I thought :beer::beer: The music they played, the uniforms they wore, the style they marched with and their friggin' INTENSITY were just insane! I dreamed of becoming a part of that for the next 4 years! I finally had the nerve to audition for them my age-out year...and made it!

VANGAURD--I'm with you all the way PeeWee....There's also something about wearing the Star...What it stands for and how you feel when you wear it..I'm too young to have known Gail, but the alumni made it known to us what he meant to the corps and to them..Hearing those stories really made it special...Just like hearing the Clowns story...To this day, when people ask me about my shield pin and what it means, I always tell them it's my family crest...

Edited by ScvSpirit

4 words: "Georgia On My Mind."

I couldn't march anywhere else after hearing that song.

Great song!

VANGAURD--I'm with you all the way PeeWee....There's also something about wearing the Star...What it stands for and how you feel when you wear it..I'm too young to have known Gail, but the alumni made it known to us what he meant to the corps and to them..Hearing those stories really made it special...Just like hearing the Clowns story...To this day, when people ask me about my shield pin and what it means, I always tell them it's my family crest...

Your corps family will always be just that family.

F-Tuning. It's my standard answer to why I marched drum corps and The Blue Devils in particular. I was equidistant from SCV and BD, but Sant Clara didn't play F-Tuning. That was it for me and it still is...

I was thumbing through a DCI Today and saw the name Limited Edition. Cool name for a corps. Checked out how far away Columbus was---6 hours, I can make that drive. Went to first camp and I was hooked. Everybody was so friendly and I met a guy fro the same town as me, we were actually i the pep band in college together but had never met, so I had a road trip buddy.

I really fell in love with Kingsmen in 1974 what a show. In 1975 2 of my friends went to California to join the Kingsmen for finally finishing with Blue Star. when I went to Philadelphia in 1975 for DCI and see my 2 friends with Blue Star "BANG" Blue Devils with Tower of Power and Chuck Mangione music, spring 1976 I was member of the Blue Devils.

I really fell in love with Kingsmen in 1974 what a show. In 1975 2 of my friends went to California to join the Kingsmen for finally finishing with Blue Star. when I went to Philadelphia in 1975 for DCI and see my 2 friends with Blue Star "BANG" Blue Devils with Tower of Power and Chuck Mangione music, spring 1976 I was member of the Blue Devils.

I love the Blue Devils. They are pretty amazing.