What made you want to march the corps you march or intend to march?

Performing in Amsterdam to a packed house, having them demand an immediate encore, and then finishing it off at a "cafe" with my best friends......man those were some amazing times.

Yea i bet, i cant wait to make my own amazing times next summer.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yea i bet, i cant wait to make my own amazing times next summer.

enjoy every minute of it.

I am curious what made some of you go out for a certain corps. Was it the uni or was it what they stand for or another reason? :worthy:

Initially it was what the drum line was playing and what it sounded like that made me say: " I wanna do THAT!" I didn't care what the uni's looked like or any of

the other possible reasons to pick a corps. I just wanted to play THOSE drums and learn THOSE beats.

Then as it went on I made friends in other corps who were influential in my decision to move on to their corps. I wanted to hang out with them, and I liked what

they were doing, so I switched corps. I was glad I did, because seeing a larger corps from the inside was an eye opening experience. From the way rehearsals went

to the what was expected of you without it needing to be told to you over and over again, it was a great growing up experience that made me a stronger, better person

and player.

Finally, it was nearing the time to age out, and I had to make a choice of a handful of my favorites, because I had left the second corps I was in burned out and tired of

the activity itself. Besides that my parents were talking to me and saying I would really regret missing my last eligable year to march in the long run. I chose a corps within

a reasonable distance from where I lived, and I chose it because I LIKED them as a corps and what they did year after year. Some friends who had marched with them said

it was the best thing they ever did and that was enough for me.

It wound up being the best thing I ever did when it came to marching anywhere, and while I have absolutely NO regrets regarding any of the three corps I marched with,

and the experiences I had with each of the three were all amazing and fantastic and unforgettable, it was my age out year that was the best of all of them.

Initially it was what the drum line was playing and what it sounded like that made me say: " I wanna do THAT!" I didn't care what the uni's looked like or any of

the other possible reasons to pick a corps. I just wanted to play THOSE drums and learn THOSE beats.

Then as it went on I made friends in other corps who were influential in my decision to move on to their corps. I wanted to hang out with them, and I liked what

they were doing, so I switched corps. I was glad I did, because seeing a larger corps from the inside was an eye opening experience. From the way rehearsals went

to the what was expected of you without it needing to be told to you over and over again, it was a great growing up experience that made me a stronger, better person

and player.

Finally, it was nearing the time to age out, and I had to make a choice of a handful of my favorites, because I had left the second corps I was in burned out and tired of

the activity itself. Besides that my parents were talking to me and saying I would really regret missing my last eligable year to march in the long run. I chose a corps within

a reasonable distance from where I lived, and I chose it because I LIKED them as a corps and what they did year after year. Some friends who had marched with them said

it was the best thing they ever did and that was enough for me.

It wound up being the best thing I ever did when it came to marching anywhere, and while I have absolutely NO regrets regarding any of the three corps I marched with,

and the experiences I had with each of the three were all amazing and fantastic and unforgettable, it was my age out year that was the best of all of them.

Wow that is amazing to hear. yea i would like to age out Div I but im starting to really love the spartans members and most definitly stay right there.

I am curious what made some of you go out for a certain corps. Was it the uni or was it what they stand for or another reason? :worthy:

YOU HAVE GOT TO BE KIDDING ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! AGdrummer, I think we are really the same person. This is the second thread topic *today* that you got up before I could... :worthy: Are you sure we aren't twins seperated at birth? :P

To answer your (our :P ) original question, it's a little tough to put the finger on the ONE reason I am working towards marching the Phantom Regiment. First, I love classical shows. That's where it is for me and I love the music Phantom chooses to perform. Also, I love their sound. I've got at least seven full shows on my iPod, and over an hour of other clips, including the ballads CD by the corps, entitled "Hymns, Heroics and Great Resolutions." Wow. That gets me every time. Through that CD and others, I've fallen in love with the classics: Amazing Grace, Fire of Eternal Glory, the Winter Palace, Shostakovich's Fifth, Elsa's Procession, Nessun Dorma (J.D. Shaw solo... :worthy: ), the Wheat Dance, Dvorak's Ninth (The New World), The Lord's Prayer, Wild Nights, Canon, the list goes on and on. I could talk for days about all the things I love about the Regiment.

Just seeing the classic white uniforms on the field, with the helmets and huge plumes gets me excited! I can't tell you how many Chevrons I ended up doodling in my planner at school last year. And anytime I see anything related to the corps, it's "Thats MY Corps right there!!" That's how I feel now. I drive through town blasting Phantom shows in my car, and sometimes I learn the chords on the piano so I can play along. So pretty much, I'm a Phantom Addict at heart, and I'm super proud of it. But there's no way I can pin down ONE reason that started all this...so you're just gonna have to deal with it!!

EDIT: Plus I wanna learn what SUTA stands for, and then be able to yell it at finals after I age out... :P

Edited by Wild Nights

Always liked Phantom's musical selection as well as SCV's. I've yet to march either (I figure I'll march whichever takes me first). I auditioned for Phantom this year, first step towards that "dream" :P.

Obviously I didn't make it...but I have a couple more years...they can't keep me out forever. ^0^

YOU HAVE GOT TO BE KIDDING ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! AGdrummer, I think we are really the same person. This is the second thread topic *today* that you got up before I could... :worthy: Are you sure we aren't twins seperated at birth? :P

To answer your (our :P ) original question, it's a little tough to put the finger on the ONE reason I am working towards marching the Phantom Regiment. First, I love classical shows. That's where it is for me and I love the music Phantom chooses to perform. Also, I love their sound. I've got at least seven full shows on my iPod, and over an hour of other clips, including the ballads CD by the corps, entitled "Hymns, Heroics and Great Resolutions." Wow. That gets me every time. Through that CD and others, I've fallen in love with the classics: Amazing Grace, Fire of Eternal Glory, the Winter Palace, Shostakovich's Fifth, Elsa's Procession, Nessun Dorma (J.D. Shaw solo... :worthy: ), the Wheat Dance, Dvorak's Ninth (The New World), The Lord's Prayer, Wild Nights, Canon, the list goes on and on. I could talk for days about all the things I love about the Regiment.

Just seeing the classic white uniforms on the field, with the helmets and huge plumes gets me excited! I can't tell you how many Chevrons I ended up doodling in my planner at school last year. And anytime I see anything related to the corps, it's "Thats MY Corps right there!!" That's how I feel now. I drive through town blasting Phantom shows in my car, and sometimes I learn the chords on the piano so I can play along. So pretty much, I'm a Phantom Addict at heart, and I'm super proud of it. But there's no way I can pin down ONE reason that started all this...so you're just gonna have to deal with it!!

EDIT: Plus I wanna learn what SUTA stands for, and then be able to yell it at finals after I age out... :P

We are twins!!! i do the same and no one understands me. I blast all the shows i have out my car windows. There are many reasons why i want to march where i intend to, but to many to list.

Edited by AGdrummer

Short answer:

2000 and Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy

Definitly love the Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy. I have that on the Mp3 player.

Always liked Phantom's musical selection as well as SCV's. I've yet to march either (I figure I'll march whichever takes me first). I auditioned for Phantom this year, first step towards that "dream" :P.

Obviously I didn't make it...but I have a couple more years...they can't keep me out forever. ^0^

Yea one of my friends tried out for phantom and missed it. Are you marching anywhere this season?