Bluecoats using steel drums?

It sounds like '95 VK had some steel drums too. Of course with the recordings from that year, they sounded amped. :worthy:

Here's the story and a pic on the Bluecoats page.

Edited by KungFuCharlie

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Whatever they're using - it's working! They're starting to win big - maybe even a dark horse?! Perhaps not this year - but I think they've got a very good chance of at least going home with Bronze medals this time out.

I have a personal reason that I love the Bluecoats - back in the early 90's (can't remember which year) my truck broke down going to a show; a Bluecoats bus was a couple of vehicles back. Within seconds of realizing what was happening, they not only stopped and helped me push my car to a fast food joint parking lot, they directed traffic while we got it done (I broke down at an intersection).

Would LOVE to see this corps take it all someday soon . . . .

Bloooooo!

'Coats using steel drums from none other then Panyard, Inc. An Ohio based company!! Can't get much better -- an Ohio world-class drum corps using products made right in their own backyard!!!

:)

Panyard is kind of the standard as far as steel drums are concerned....I wouldn't expect them to use anything else.

Yes, Beowulf, or Hamlet or whoever... It is necessary to amp steel drums. That's why you almost never saw them before this stuff came around. THAT and the fact they are sort of difficult to maintain, especially with the rigors of a drum corps season.

what a crock. SCV's front used pans in 83 and 84, Pioneer used them in 91 and 92, VK used them in the 80's and in 95...with no amplification and they projected well.

Edited by walder

Now this is something I know a little about. That fact is, unamplified steelpans don't project well unless they're used in sufficient numbers.

I've been to the annual steelband competition in Trinidad many times. Panorama involves steel orchestras the size of a drum and bugle corps (their max may be right around 130-135).

Those steelbands have a number of different voicings that drum corps couldn't possibly replicate unless the entire corps put down all other equipment and became a steel orchestra.

If the names Desperados, Renegades, All Stars, and Phase Two Pan Groove (current champs) mean anything to you, you know what I'm talking about.

Haven't seen Bluecoats yet, but unless they have a MASSIVE number of pans, I'd expect them to be amplified.

BTW- In Trinidad, the pans are tuned by the appllication of heat to the underside of the drums.

It can take the better part of a week to tune all of them for competition.

Mark Riley

Listening to Bluecoats' APD from 6/24, and I can distinctly hear the sweet sound of steel drums for a few seconds in their opener (something that I hadn't heard in Indy). Anybody know if that's still in the show? If so, hats off to their pit arranger for working steel drums into the show. :)

You didn't notice that? They're set up right on the 50!

Stef

I'm a part of my university's major steel drum ensemble and could not believe my eyes when I saw the 'Coats in Toledo. I was so excited. I was disappointed in two things however. First, I wish they could have used the pans more. Personally, I would not be taking a second of double seconds (that's what it appeared to be at least from where I was, someone can correct me if I'm mistaken) for only about 20 seconds of work. Second, and hopefully by now it's not a problem, but at that first show of the year the player was REALLY barking on the pan. For those of you not familiar with it, barking is the term when someone is overplaying the instrument and you start to lose the pitch and just get a nasty metal sound. It's a great idea, and I'm sure by now 'Coats have fixed the barking issue. I can't wait to hear a final's recording of this show!!!!! Oh, and Panyard stuff is okay, but I play a ping pong lead, not a 4ths and 5ths so I'll take my Ellie Monet lead pan any day. :P

Edited by Iplaytimpani

I'm a part of my university's major steel drum ensemble and could not believe my eyes when I saw the 'Coats in Toledo. I was so excited. I was disappointed in two things however. First, I wish they could have used the pans more. Personally, I would not be taking a second of double seconds (that's what it appeared to be at least from where I was, someone can correct me if I'm mistaken) for only about 20 seconds of work.

Based on my impressions of Toledo and Dublin, it seems that they have added more steel drum stuff into the piece

Based on my impressions of Toledo and Dublin, it seems that they have added more steel drum stuff into the piece

I noticed that in Indy, as well. On the APD it's just a few bars, but they seem to have added more. I like the additions, make it seem like more a part of the show.