Three things we SHOULD be talking about...

4. Cavaliers' real ending, whenever it arrives. The last minute needs a major revamp to make the show a contender, and I expect a surprise near the end of the summer.

You know, maybe what they have is their real ending. From what I saw on the Season Pass from Indy (which might be coolest thing EVER) the ending didn't complete the idea of the show and seemed a little tacked on. It wouldn't be the first time that The Cavaliers have had a lackluster closer.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Things we SHOULD be talking about.....

1. The quality of shows from top to bottom is outstanding.....

2. These are KIDS doing this stuff, performing at this level, working this hard, and grasping these concepts, also some great educators out there!

3. The celebration of the ACTIVITY....whether you like a particular show or not....what an wonderful thing for kids to do!

Thanks to anybody who reads these forums and has marched, voluteered, staffed, housed, whatever for drum corps. You are truly outstanding people.

(LoveFest officially over)

I am RElearning that in our society, we mock what we don't understand. If you don't like it, fine. But to trash any corps or show with words like hate,

disgusted, or worst is really sad. This is not the CSO, these kids are not getting paid, and if you feel so strongly about it, start a corps, design a show, arrange

some brass and drum parts, buy some busses, hire some staff, and do it your way. You don't HAVE to watch. Nothing much changes from complaining....

Karel Capek

R.U.R. (Rossum's Universal Robots)

Tres bon.

No, he means magnetic, what with the whole metal/machine thing.

Hey. Metal Machine Music. Anyone actually listened to that album start to finish? If so, how?

During the section I assume he is talking about the corps is in a block and guard members run into the block and it stretches with them and eventually throws them back out. It doesn't look anything at all like a magnet. Magnets are hard and pull things to them, which then stay there.

2. The brief duet with the soprano and the contra (er, trumpet and tuba) about 4.5 minutes into the Bluecoats show. Darn cool. I enjoyed it on the APD, but then seeing it in Normal made it cooler. The entire corps quickly "genuflects" to them during this part, making it appear like, well, like there's a spotlight on them (I'm not kidding - I glanced up above the press box afterwards to see if they had snuck in a spotlight). Well done, Bluecoats.

You know, this is one the things I have really admired about shows over the past decade or so. It used to be that soloists would simply walk away from the set, do their solo, and then walk/run back to their spot. Then corps started designing shows where the specific soloist would appear from a moving set and then be "picked up" again, if you get my meaning. Most corps do this now, but the Bluecoats have been particularly appealing to me in this regard. I'm getting my years confused, but I think in 2004 they had a feature where there were a series of rotating/collapsing/expanding boxes that would "drop off" and then "pick up" a series of soloists that I just thought was the coolest thing ever. (Was this the "One" show??). Anyway, it's good to see that they are continuing to feature soloists in this way. I have really been impressed with the increasingly mature design of the Bluecoats show over the past few years.

Good stuff ^OO^

I was floored when I first saw the Cavaliers show and that elastic/magnetic/whatever effect (almost a month ago). Simply amazing. I thought then that the machine was running on all cylanders.

What is it that they're calling that section, anyway? Magnetic? Elastic? What do the Cavaliers themselves call it?

During the section I assume he is talking about the corps is in a block and guard members run into the block and it stretches with them and eventually throws them back out. It doesn't look anything at all like a magnet. Magnets are hard and pull things to them, which then stay there.

Thanks for the lesson, Professor McNerdypants. :P

Yes, elastic is probably the correct description, but I'm gonna stick with magnetic for two reasons:

1) Magnetic fits with the show

2) Elastic makes me think of underwear.