Three things we SHOULD be talking about...

Matt,

I will never question your loyalty to your team for any reason.. even if one day YOUR team is behaving in a way I perceive as disrespectful to it's fans..

This isn't a political debate. I am a fan. I like my team. I don't care that they suck (well, okay I CARE but I don't, see?). I don't have to sit back year after year and re-evaluate where I place my loyalties.. I am just loyal. I don't necessarily need a reason.

Call it blind. Call it whatever you like.. but the same way I'm fed up with the bashing of Cadets or Blue Stars or Blue Devils or Cavaliers or Regiment for WHAT EVER REASON OR JUSTIFICATION somebody manages to come up with, I'm fed up with the constant attempts to prove the LOGIC (or lack thereof) of my loyalty to my team.

I'm just tired of it. It's ridiculous.

I'm just a fan. I don't have to or want to justify it. I can still sit back and enjoy. It's not all about winning.

Stef

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1. First off...Stef....How in the #### did you miss that contra/sop duet??? You are the most thorough person (IMO) on DCP!!! Btw, I love your reviews! I've seen the show twice, and it's a SUPER fun duet. I don't think the contra was heard very well in Indy, but it was clear as day in Lexington, KY! WOW! BLUECOATS! And the whole opening drill/guard sequence is stellar. I think they look like a championship corps in many ways. They might not win it this year...but they look GREAT!

2. Crown has this GREAT move where the horn is in an arc/straight line (I forget which) and they are playing this really rad chord...and they ripple turning around with keeping the same intensity and volume of the chord. In the dome, this was especially effective. Backfield playing is also wonderful in Madison. There's also a segment where the hornline is staggering moving forward in a wedge playing exposed parts. It was exciting! I love Crown!

3. Bluestars... I LOVED the show in Lexington, even though I really didn't understand all the silks and the guardwork. When they added the narration, I GOT IT! I really did. This is the first show where I truly believe narration is a key to it's success. When the individual freedoms are announced in between movements, it really makes sense. I heart the Blue Stars! I never ever thought I would say that. They are just a great corps, and I wish them continued success.

4. YEA! has finally won the crowd over with the Crossmen this year. I don't know about anyone else, but that radio channel-changing section had me laughing and laughing and laughing. That is PURE entertainment. And yeah, it includes "My Humps", but ####, it was my ringtone on my phone for at least two months. I DIG IT! The crowd in Indy was digging it, too. I especially like the part where the radio "turns" to a Spanish-speaking channel complete with Spanish dialogue. It's hilarious! Then the corps starts playing some latin-esque music. LOVE IT!

5. Glassmen have a beautifully arranged show. It's wonderful...and I'm not a Beethoven fan. It's fun to watch, and the familiar themes aren't as unfamiliar as last year's themes....if that makes any sense. It's almost like a modern version of their 1995 show, which I didn't like as much. Go Glassmen! (A friend I was sitting with in Indy actually stayed for the Glassmen's show...because I made him....and he enjoyed it! You made a new fan, Glassmen!)

6. Capital Regiment....huge surprise. It's not the most easily accessible show--complete with strange singing--which is tastefully done...but it's done very well. The guard is much-improved over last year, and the hornline really pumps out some volume sometimes.

7. Magic has a pretty happy show that is coming along nicely and has been improving and changing for the better all season. I actually like this show a lot, and I think it has so much room to grow. The writing and arranging is pretty fun, and the young corps members have really started to perform. The percussion carries this show a lot, too... I can't wait to see how it turns up on dvd.

I just think the shows this year are overall so much more entertaining than in recent years past. I had so much fun in Indy, and as the night progressed...the shows STILL kept my attention....darn near all of 'em. GREAT YEAR 2006!

I'll add one more to my original list, if only because I can't stop listening to it this morning:

4) Best use of a major scale in 2006 goes to... Phantom Regiment. I'm not sure if it's in the original Ave Maria (by Biebl, right?), but near the end of the ballad, that beautiful, chocolate bathing ballad, the hornline re-enters with a major scale, followed by another. Never in my life have I been more entranced by whole steps.

Glad to see the old stereotypes are still in play. Guess I'll have to break the news to the 3 guys I usually go to Sox games with that our advanced degrees from Columbia, Yale, and U of C (x2) don't matter; we're just a bunch of bohunks in mullets. Same thing next time I talk to Daley or any of the CEOs in the city who support the charity I work for: I'm sure they'll all be relieved to find out that they must all be drunken morons too. :P

Well let me ask you this, is it fair for your side to say that all Cubs fans are fratboy douches in popped-collar pink dress shirts who just talk on cellphones during games and get drunk? There are undesirable stereotypes you can use for both sides here, but they're not 100% representative of a large (White Sox) and gigantic (Cubs) fanbase. For every Schlitz-drinking blowhard in Calumet City there's probably three Lincoln Park Trixies, but there are also plenty of respectable fans who honestly love their team. I'm sure you guys get just as sick of the stereotypes as we do. I've had Sox fans tell me that I don't really like baseball because of the blue hat on my head. Pretty sure I did, but thanks for the heads-up!

Edited by Studio Tan

4. YEA! has finally won the crowd over with the Crossmen this year. I don't know about anyone else, but that radio channel-changing section had me laughing and laughing and laughing. That is PURE entertainment. And yeah, it includes "My Humps", but ####, it was my ringtone on my phone for at least two months. I DIG IT! The crowd in Indy was digging it, too. I especially like the part where the radio "turns" to a Spanish-speaking channel complete with Spanish dialogue. It's hilarious! Then the corps starts playing some latin-esque music. LOVE IT!

People have questioned what the Crossmen's DJ say in Spanish. I checked, and was told that La Meda is a Spanish language redio station in NYC on 97.9 FM. Crossmen's announcer says, in Spanish:

"LA MEDA, 97.9. PLAYING HITS FROM THE 80S, 90S, AND TODAY. IT'S SUMMER(TIME) ... LET'S DANCE!!!

This intro leads directly into their "Caribe" percussion feature. Most people respond quite favorably to it.