What to expect when on tour

:spit:

:P :P :P :P b**bs b**bs b**bs b**bs

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We just kept "the library" in the magazine rack that was behind the bus driver. :devin:
In 2001 we posted our "fine art" collection all over the bus. Back of the seats, the windows (facing inside, of course), and anywhere else they would fit. We had a free day at Gettysburg and we were told to clean up the bus because the tour guide was going to come on our bus. We removed all of the pictures and the tour guide got on the bus. He started his spiel and abruptly stopped and looked up. After a few awkward seconds he continued. We had forgotten to clear off the ceiling. b**bs

In 2001 we posted our "fine art" collection all over the bus. Back of the seats, the windows (facing inside, of course), and anywhere else they would fit. We had a free day at Gettysburg and we were told to clean up the bus because the tour guide was going to come on our bus. We removed all of the pictures and the tour guide got on the bus. He started his spiel and abruptly stopped and looked up. After a few awkward seconds he continued. We had forgotten to clear off the ceiling. b**bs

ah "fine art"

Dont some corps have bathrooms on the coaches now?

Yeah, but who wants to use them? You pay the price later if you did (add a few more smells to the smell chart). We had a "No Defecation Proclamation" on the door to the john on our bus the one year we had working bathrooms.

dude, i think we were there with you! you talking about 2002? if you are, then yeah, that shower was ridiculously cold! fun times.

I know Teal stayed with Revo in a hockey rink in 02'. We watched you guys do a run-through, and thought "holy crap that's #### good." One of our baris slept in amongst you guys, and woke up far after we did. The staff was wondering where the heck Gene was. Being section leader that year, alot of the grief from that fell on my shoulders. After ice cold showers we got out our tiny little folding bike, and rode in circles around the two corps' buses. I got plenty of 'wtf?' looks from you guys. Pedal that thing furiously, and you'd still only go at a brisk walking pace. :) I'm not sure if you're talking about the same place, but I know the one time we stayed at an ice rink, it was with Revo. Fun times.

I apologize ahead of time for 1) not reading all 17 pages of this thread and 2) this being kind of long.

I realize that tour is supposed to be a magical time in the life of drum corps, the culmination of all of the work done in your years prior, the long cold winter - and this might depend on how many tours or years you marched and back then we practiced year round. But I wanted to say, don't expect that you won't feel on somedays that you'll either never get through another day, or another year!

As happy and fulfilled as I remember many of my experiences on tour(s), I found it sometimes almost too frustrating for words. It seemed that so much determination and hard work was sometimes so draining, I cannot believe people didn't end up with Chronic Fatique Syndrome or worse.

But it seems that many people, incuding myself find that we remember maybe 80 or 90% of it being good, some people tend to remember only the good parts which might be a coping mechanism or nostalgia.

The breakdowns, the lack of food or hydration, the missing of home, the sleeping on floors, the long bus rides, the hurry up and wait, spending every waking and sleeping moment with the same people for long periods of time can sometimes get to you. The seasons were longer when I marched, and corps' now seem to get that the body needs to be taken care of much better than it was for some corps back then. We basically did what we had to do, and sometimes I don't know many got thru it. The staff was in the same boat as well back then, it was no different for them really, some aged out and began to teach right away-everyone seemed to be a lot closer in age.

I'm not saying it's a piece of cake now, and I'm not even really comparing, but I'm very glad that times have changed in the respect I'm talking about. They deserve nothing less!!!! :worthy:

I guess rather than this lenghy post I could have just said: it's no cake walk in any era.

Ok, now I am offically depressed.