Top ten Blue Devils shows of "all time"

This is just to hard for me. I know 99 is my favorite and 2000 and 2003 are close. But I just cant put them in order. Since 1988 they have had some of the most musically entertaning shows. And after going to Battle Creek last night. I dont know where to factor in 06.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know for me, it would take a while to pick ten. I know 98, 99, 00, and 03 would be in there with 86 and 84. I'd have to add some more and put them in some kind of order - too much work - I'm bad at picking favorites.

9. 1991 - A study in brass. This show is often on peoples lists for the sheer power of the brass alone, but what is often overlooked is the design of the show, the execution of the show, the visuall performance, and the intensity of the entire production. "Adventures in time" ie: "Commencement" is one of th ebest OTL songs to be used of all time. SOlid, fast, demanding, full of contrast and impact. The brassline had ever sinlge element one looks for in perfection. You name it, it was there, Dynamically proficient, stylisticaly diverse, layered, ensemble clarity..etc...etc...all the while marching a drill executed perfect and designed perfect to highlight exactly ehat needed to be as it was played. Percussion took a lot of hits that year, but it was a young, new line and they held their own. Guard work was really effective but didnt truly stand out and enhyance the show as it could have. The last year before Scott Chandler took over. A great show.

~G~

The 91 hornline is the best they've ever had in my opinion...Just unreal

what a great topic

my input is :-

1. 1986 (Cadets had dominted DCI for 3 years and this was the show that changed it all)

2. 1976 (the show that changed DCI and drumcorps so many corps followed in suite)

3. 1985 (OK OK BD never won and came 3rd, but the did win high Brass)

4. 1992 (what a show with so many sounds and rythm and the year the colour guard had male members)

5. 1999 (wow what can I say)

6. 2001 ( the show that no one mentions, but that had a serious cool factor)

7. 2003 ( another cool show started with little eric and finished with little eric)

8. 1983 ( the show had passion, BD new they wernt gonna win but to me thay played with passion)

9. 2004 ( How many of us all wished we could play the soprano in the opening number)

10. 2005 (yes yes yes thats right 2005 and the reason "is the audiance ready?" how many all said "Yes?" )

its a strange top 10 but each man to their own i say

10. 2005 (yes yes yes thats right 2005 and the reason "is the audiance ready?" how many all said "Yes?" )

I say this not as a slam to BD (because I really like 2005 too, and think the announcer's voice sells the subpar script he has, and the ensemble sound carries the whole show)...there is a huge crowd response there, but it sounds more like everyone's yelling "yeaooooo!" I think a significant percentage of individuals disillusioned with BD's show design responded in their own, unscripted manner.

Yep I would agree

I say this not as a slam to BD (because I really like 2005 too, and think the announcer's voice sells the subpar script he has, and the ensemble sound carries the whole show)...there is a huge crowd response there, but it sounds more like everyone's yelling "yeaooooo!" I think a significant percentage of individuals disillusioned with BD's show design responded in their own, unscripted manner.

I think what was unique about 2005 show was that to me the staff of BD were testing the water in the Use of mics and unfortunteley it didnt pay off also with BD being in Europe it did effect their season

1. 1996

2. 1995

3. 2000

4. 1999

5. 1998

6. 1987

7. 2004

8. 2003

9. 1988

10. 2002

Although, I've been listening to the APD of BD's show this year. And after I see them in Allentown, I can almost be safe to say that this show will move into the number 1 spot.

1. 1986

2. 1982

3. 1988

4. 1990 (I'm biased)

5. 1994

6. 1984

7. 1996

8. 1985

9. 1991

10. 1992

what a great topic

my input is :-

6. 2001 ( the show that no one mentions, but that had a serious cool factor)

this is definitely one of my favorites, i listen to it constantly :)