Top ten Blue Devils shows of "all time"

Well..I liked 76, 79, 80, 81, 82, 84, 86, 88 and 94..and G you forgot to mention the 1/10th factor on top drums in 84 as well..they beat us by only 1/10th of a point..both were smoking drum lines. :beer:

I really like that 94 show. It was hot. :beer:

But really I've always been a Santa Clara girl...isn't it odd, you either love SCV or BD? :)

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I did this about four years ago but since reposting the Cadets topic, I have been re-tooling this and updating it. I think its pretty accurate (for today) . Here goes:

My top three never change, they are numbered 1. 2. and 3. but they are virtually tied.

1. 1988 - Undefeated, until finals week. Stripped of their blue attire and remade with a neutral color, free to explore and exploit the color pallette, their verion of the Blue Devils exceeds the supply of color in their musical ability and delivery alone. Probably one of the most musical books ever, 88 BD is phenomenal at present true, authentic, melodic, jazz-infused music.

This show has it all. Elegance, power, emotion, subtelty, class. A top notch, award winning brass program, sold "Float" percussion, and one of the most elegeant guards they have ever had. The opener with their headresses ? Elegance to the max. I think it is the most underrated drill performance BD ever had, written so perfect to be seamless, ever evolving and staging perfectly what needs to be highlighted. Truly one of thegreatest shows of all time.

2. 1982 - Undefeated. Building on the success and somewhat disappointment of 1981, Concord took the elements of that year(81) to the max, and over extended them in 1982. Completely on fire, completely intenst, flawless, and in your face. Again a solid Brass performance that could teach a class in dynamics and power, Percussion that was truly inovative and formidable, and an award winning guard utilizing a multitude of equipment. The birth of the purple wings, the birth of the guard multi tasking, and truly setting the standard for the future. "One more time..." Cant get any better than this. My, oh my, what intensity, and when they come together at the end and bring us that "wall of sound" (Thanks Rondo) It was an unforgetable moment up in Canada.

3. 1994 - Undefeated. The remade, remodeled, on a mission Blue Devils. An axe to grind, something to prove. Wow. The first time I saw them on July 1, 1994. I was shocked, I knew I just saw that years champion. New uniforms ?? coulda been risky busines, however, they were an instant classic. Where does one start with this show. Revisiting what made them champions before with a slight update, BD gave us the usualy award winning brass and percussion and the colorguard sizzled with senuality and sexuality. Hot !! Sabre work that actually fit in a corps show, Ensemble flag work, A rifle line that was as unison as it gets....Hot

This show was the first of the new BD and set the standard for performance from 1994 on. I was lucky to see this show in almost every contest they were at, A dream come true and a show that stands the test of time.

4. 1989 - Get it out of the way right now. The finals night solo was just a case of hman error. To hear it on any other night ?? Truly a case of euphoria. Almost dream like. That is what this show is like, a dream. A seamless, ever flowing, ever evolving ride of music, motion, and intensity from beginning to end. The colors used in this show set such a mood. Again, a classy, elegant guard accenting the music perfect. Those shawls in "If we were in love" set such a mood. There were gasps in the audience finals week when they corps charged forward in the chorus. It was that good.

OTL of "You gotta try" was as fresh as ever, rockin' as ever, and executed so well. Their brass never fails to deliver. The ensemble quality of this particular line was amazing. FIna moments of the show were signature Blue Devils with the guard full field and brass wailing. Truly an amzing show.

5. 1984 - one tenth. Performance and determination are the signatures of this show. Solid all around. "Any other year" could also be the label of this show because truly if it wasnt for the groundbreaking effort of Garfield, this show would have been crowned champion. OTL of Bachnallia, was so technically proficient and the brass performance as outstanding. Percussion ?? World champion and deservedly so. On another level ..Wide open, evolving drill paterns, solid marching, Solid GE and oh, did I mention Colroguard ?? Expanding on the ideas that the 82'wings brought us, The field was a wash in color as they filled it during the drum soslo, a breath taking moment. Argualbly the best performance numbr of all time ws "Las fiesta" It was so hot ! So intense ! I mean really intense, they were smoking down there and the crowd was on fire, standing, screaming, shouting, we were out of breath just listening..it was shocking. And the guards use of little fans, subtle, simple but most effective LOL !

6. 1995 - Undefeated, until finals week. Dark, formidable, "creepy". The Blue Devils delved into their darker side in '95 as they brought us the legend of "Alcobal" The coronation of the dead queen. The field lining opening set, the eerie sounds in the pit, the guard very evil, complete with skulls, this was a different style of the Blue Devils, but with the same trademark touches of excellence.

Considered one of the most difficult shows put ont he field, BD delivered with typical fashion, Solid marching, Solid GE, stunning effects in the ballad, Technically demanding brass and a perfect percussion line. This show had something for everyone. They were miles ahead of everyone all year, but it just wasnt meant to be, there were planets in their way.

7. 1997 - a lesson in execution. Another themed show, another title, another unforgettable performance by the Blue Devils. Attaining perfect marks in performance in Prelims, the subtle perfection was weaved throughout this show and the attention to detail shows. Visually, they were in a class by themselves, guard wise ?? Untouchable. Typical sold brass and percussion. A true BD experience.

8. 2003 - Victory revisited. "The phenomenon of cool" and oh so cool they were. This show had the vibe not often felt in shows, youust knew it was going to take it all the first time you saw it. So cool were the guard they didnt even need equipment half the time..so cool. The design of this show was groundbreaking, taking all the elements of each section and melding them into one "super unit" of performance and GE. Staging and transitions were designed and executed perfect so you never took your eyes off the action. You were drawn in..that's cool !

9. 1991 - A study in brass. This show is often on peoples lists for the sheer power of the brass alone, but what is often overlooked is the design of the show, the execution of the show, the visuall performance, and the intensity of the entire production. "Adventures in time" ie: "Commencement" is one of th ebest OTL songs to be used of all time. SOlid, fast, demanding, full of contrast and impact. The brassline had ever sinlge element one looks for in perfection. You name it, it was there, Dynamically proficient, stylisticaly diverse, layered, ensemble clarity..etc...etc...all the while marching a drill executed perfect and designed perfect to highlight exactly ehat needed to be as it was played. Percussion took a lot of hits that year, but it was a young, new line and they held their own. Guard work was really effective but didnt truly stand out and enhyance the show as it could have. The last year before Scott Chandler took over. A great show.

10. 1999 - "Rythyms at the edge of time" Performancve, yes, that word again, Intensity, that word again, and solid across the board GE. This show hd it all. Music, movement, performance, and perfection. Solid intense drumming, an unbelievable guard delivering a peformance that set the standard, so professional so in your face, so perfect. The varying emotions on this show are so extreme, so diverse, but truly what earned this show a title and the respect its deserves is the level of perfrormance and intensity.

Honorable mention: 1990 - "Tommy" A stylistic departure full of vintage BD signatures. A newly overhauled guard, a return to Blue and tradition in the uniform, an inovative field cover. And a typical, solid BD performance. Brass was on fire as usual and the "Float" drum line was full of power especially during the drum solo. But what makes this show stand apart ?? The awesome, award winning colorguard. Dressed in quasi-futuristis "ann margaret on crack" tight, form fitting outfits. They were a presence utilizing many pieces of equipment to great effect. THe ensemble flag work was flawless and the flag work in "Pinball wizard" is probably what secured the guard title that year. Just excellent.

I'm not going to take the time to try to come up with my own list, so for right now I'll react to yours

1988: Fantastic hornline, fantastic horn book, satisfactory percussion, well executed...but boring...visual program

1982: God that hornline was sick as was 1988's...great percussion...

1994: Return of the percussion...a new spin on old favorites musically

1989: Sorry...not crazy about that year

1984: Love Bacchanalia and Latin Implosion....the rest isn't bad at all, but when I think of this show I think of the first two tunes

1995: My favorite of that year...the snare and tenor books sounded killer...I would've liked to have been in the snareline...way to age out that would've been :) And that ending :beer:

1997: Cleanest show I've seen and heard...god those kids were sick at finals...deserving of more than a 98.4...Visual Effect prevented that

2003: Not a bad show...deserved to win..can't really think of much else to say

1991: Hated this show the first time I saw it...seriously. But now? STILL HATE IT!!! OK, seriously I think the show is fantastic, especially musically

1999: Awesome show...but somehow..unusual...different....I really can't find the words to say why right now...oh well who cares? It still awesome

Others: C'mon you gotta put '76 in there...

'86 was very clean of course but it really doesn't grab me as some of these shows...

'92, well only '91 is better in terms of my favorite non-championship winning show from them...

'96 isn't too bad musically except I hate the "ballad" portion....

'00 very unusual show, but it's great...."ballad" still eh for me

'01 the Don Grantham was pretty good but really the show didn't really seem to go anywhere...shame too because they were so clean

'02 I like the Mid-Season CD performance better than the final

'04 Many people thought it was lame musically, but I really like it...close to another title..oh so close

'05 well...we won't go there

'06 The hornline (as in the full ensemble) takes too long to come in...I've listened to the Stockton APD several times, and the show is just not grabbing me

I would like to add 1992 to the mix if you don't mind :)

Am I the only one who enjoyed 1996?

No. I am in awe of this show and consistently surprised that it is always overlooked. Perhaps it's because Phantom gets a lot of attention for its show in '96, which was also great. I am totally with you... 1996 BD rocks.

With this said, 1994 BD remains one of my all time favorite drum corps shows. WOW! :beer::beer::huh:

2. 1982 - Undefeated. Building on the success and somewhat disappointment of 1981, Concord took the elements of that year(81) to the max, and over extended them in 1982. Completely on fire, completely intenst, flawless, and in your face. Again a solid Brass performance that could teach a class in dynamics and power, Percussion that was truly inovative and formidable, and an award winning guard utilizing a multitude of equipment. The birth of the purple wings, the birth of the guard multi tasking, and truly setting the standard for the future. "One more time..." Cant get any better than this. My, oh my, what intensity, and when they come together at the end and bring us that "wall of sound" (Thanks Rondo) It was an unforgetable moment up in Canada.

Glad to see this show still gets the love. Having had the opportunity to see this show many times that year, it was fantastic to the extreme. People, if you can overlook all of the talking that was going on during the broadcast (over the music mind you, remember "Singers Unlimiter...", no bash on Rondo for sure), you can see, hear, and feel what was so special about this production for that time period. Pure AWESOMENESS!!!!!! Still a fave of mine to this day! How do I make this red devil "smilie" turn blue?!?!? ^0^ ^0^ ^0^

1. 1976 (you had to be there to see the show in context to really appreciate it now)

2. 1982

3. 1993

4. 1980

5. 1988

6. 1991

7. 1984

8. 1990

9. 2002

10. 1994

Aside from the '02 show, I haven't been big on Devs the last ten years or so. Either my taste changed or their aim changed. :beer: