The Mile-High Lounge

This might be true. However, when the Crossmen DID come out this season for their first week or two of competition, they were much less prepared to execute their show than several Corps that started their competitive summer season much earlier. The Crossmen looked to me like they fell behind not in June and July. It looks to me like the Crossmen shot themselves in the foot back in March and April. That's the real critical time when Corps determine for themselves how ready they are going to be come the summer competition season which is now in full swing.

This reminds me of a quote

"Championships are won in the winter, not the summer"

I don't 100% agree with it, but a lot of successes and failures ARE decided by winter preperation. Don't know if that's the case with the Crossmen this year or not. I hope not, because they have one of my favorite shows of the season, and it would be a shame if they don't make finals.

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes there were very noticable mics problems thru out the night. Cadets singer you either heard the first or last half of her parts. The dry heat was brutal yesterday. Kind of like a light bulb in your face. Temperature today is supposed to be 105 and SCV has a rehearsel planned in Denver all day before heading out tonight. Blus Stars taking the day off on the 16th street mall and BK getting the day off for laundry and errands before leaving for Great Bend tonight. A couple of BK percussionists told me they may have had their worst show in a couple of weeks. Crossmen's 2nd half of the show seemed to finally get the crowd into it. For the first time in years, I noticed a big difference between Crossmen's and BK's hornlines. BK's low brass is a treat to listen to. On a lighter side after the show, Brooklyn's looked like a who's who of drum corps downing a few. Hopkins, Sylvester, April Gilligan, former VK boss Jack Bevins to name a few. The kids I'm housing from BK are dead tired still asleep 10 hours later. Quite a few horns came down with bronchitis on the left coast and they are just starting to feel better. I appreciate with the Cadets are doing, but isn't it a bit much? I'm waiting for a couple of 50 foot beams to cover the front sideline next year and curtains. And spotlights to boot. I also agree Denver along with other cities have been declassified as major events or regionals. I have no problem with San Antonio, been there many times, but the days of DCI was in the west (Boise), midwest (Whitewater), north (Ypsilanti) and Canada (Hamilton), there was something special about those shows. And I miss the US Open in Marion as well. Next year's DATR scheduled for July 28th.

I too miss dci having Regionals like they use to be, DCW ( Denver) Dci Mid Ameica (Bloomington) and so forth. Weren't all corps back then required to Perform in the daytime show? and none of this " top 8" get a pass to the night show without performing during they day, which i really think SUCKS. Everyone in Drum Corps is working as hard as the other .Preview of Champions i think was awesome and kind of special what a bummer they felt not to do it anymore.

Next year's DATR scheduled for July 28th.

My first impulse was to say "Yow!" to this

But then I remembered which direction finals are headed for next year

Just bumping this to let people know that the recaps are up

Parkinson's law is that "WORK EXPANDS SO AS TO FILL THE TIME AVAILABLE FOR ITS COMPLETION".

The inverse is equally true. In short, if you have 16 weeks to teach a show, you'll do it in 16 weeks. If you have 26, you'll probably take all 26. If they wanted to be ready in mid-June, there's no reason to believe that they couldn't.

Edited by mobrien

Hey, did anyone notice the lone Cadets drummer who stepped off the field for most of the show. Any insights on why that was?

A good friend of mine marches trumpet for the cadets this season. He told me that the snare on the end that was supposed to catch the stick had lost feeling in his arm before the show had even started. He told me it was due to either his harness or his jacket, probably a combination of both. The snare player made it as far into the show as he could before he couldn't play anymore and had to leave the line. No worries though, the guy is fine and will be performing again in the next show. Go Cadets!! :blink: