Madison: Great places to eat, fun things to do

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks to everyone for their replies. I'm actually not going to Finals this year, but am trying to collect information to post on our yahoo group for those who are. We've got a database up to see who is going, where they're sitting, when they're arriving and leaving, into and out of what city, etc., and I thought another database showing all the different things they could do might be helpful and fun. Some are going to have time ONLY for drum corps, while others will be there a little longer, and want a few other things to do. A lot of you put in a lot of time posting those links - I appreciate it. As for whoever said something about a PINNED article, I have no idea how to do that. Although I'm an avid reader of these forums, I don't often post anything, or "know my way around" very well! Thanks again.. keep the suggestions coming.

Well after going to UW for 4 years (and being at every finals at Camp Randall) there are TONS of places in Madison to go and things to do.

1. State Street.. Pedestrian walkway from the eastern edge of the UW campus to the State Capitol full of Madison shops, places to eat, and of course places to drink.

2. Memorial Union. On the waters of Lake Mendota, it is a German style Brew Haus which is known as a huge study area and huge hang out for locals/students. Beer garden inside and beautiful seats along the lake. Just one block north of State Street right on the eastern edge of campus.

3. Farmer's Market. On the Capitol Square every Saturday morning during the summer from 6am - noon There will be thousands of people there on any given Saturday, let alone the morning of Finals. Find the finest Wisconsin produce as well as taste tons of baked goods and local cheeses. A definate MUST GO!!!

4. Vilas Zoo. It is Madison's FREE public zoo, just about 4 blocks from Camp Randall. Camp Randall is on Regent/Monroe Street. Take Regent Street one block east to Randall (Where the Open Pantry is), then take Randall about 4 blocks South right to Vilas. Great way to spend 3 or 4 hours right before Quarters or Semis (only because we all know you will be going to Farmer's Market and the Union on Saturday).

5. Babcock Dairy. An actual dairy right on campus where they make their own Ice cream. The Ice cream can also be found inside the Memorial Union. Look for very Wisconsin flavors (Berry Alvarez.... a berry blend named after famous UW football coach and now athletic director Barry Alvarez for example).

6. The UW Campus... One of the most beautiful campus' in the nation (and trust me, even though I am a UW alum there is no bias there). Take a walk up Bascom Hill and sit on the lap of Abraham Lincoln and look down onto State Street and the Capitol. Trust me, it will be worth the hike!!!

... If you want specific places to eat or places to grab a drink let me know...I didn't want my list to be too long :)

Well after going to UW for 4 years (and being at every finals at Camp Randall) there are TONS of places in Madison to go and things to do.

... If you want specific places to eat or places to grab a drink let me know...I didn't want my list to be too long :)

How about a REALLY good steak place? Hot rolls, thick, juicy steaks, nice tables but I don't have to dress up. I'm going to be on my own for FIVE WHOLE DAYS, and being that I'm a stay at home mom to a 6 yr old, this is like a vacation to me, so I'm gonna eat well, drink often and sleep LOTS!

How about a REALLY good steak place? Hot rolls, thick, juicy steaks, nice tables but I don't have to dress up. I'm going to be on my own for FIVE WHOLE DAYS, and being that I'm a stay at home mom to a 6 yr old, this is like a vacation to me, so I'm gonna eat well, drink often and sleep LOTS!

Johnny Delmonico's (Couple blocks off the Capital Square towards the Monona Terrace!)

130 S. Pinckney St

Prime Quarter (Cook your own Steak!)

East Washington Ave.

Tornado Steak House (Also a few blocks off the Square)

116 S. Hamilton St

would anyone know if its really going to be as hot and humid as it is said to be? because as someone who is going to be doing a near noontime show for the div II competition i was curious :( . but anyways, i wonder how many of these places i would be able to check out. :) .

Edited by calz

I second Prime Quarter Steakhouse!!! Great place where you actually get to grill your own steaks and don't have to dress up! Just about 15 minutes east of campus on East Washington Ave. Near East Towne Mall. Good call mdsnsctfan!!!

Essen Haus

'nuff said.

:mmm:

Edited by ScribeToo