Phantom Regiment: The Thread

It was enough material for a 3 hour movie. :blink:

There really isn't that much music, though. There's the waltz, the love theme, and that other song that plays after Michael assassinates Sollozzo and McCluskey. I think when we heard "hey, Blue Devils are doing Godfather music" we all went "WHOA!!! THAT KICKS ###!" but it's turning out that there's really not enough going on for a drum corps show.

Doesn't stop the judges from handing out three-point spreads like candy, though!

Edited by Studio Tan

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think when we heard "hey, Blue Devils are doing Godfather music" we all went "WHOA!!! THAT KICKS ###!" but it's turning out that there's really not enough going on for a drum corps show.

....and yet, somehow, someway, the Blue Devils have managed to create a drum corps show out of it. And it just so happens to be one of the best and highest scoring shows of the summer. Then again, I see that the scores are the result of the judges unknowingly handing out undeserved points.

I think when we heard "hey, Blue Devils are doing Godfather music" we all went "WHOA!!! THAT KICKS ###!" but it's turning out that there's really not enough going on for a drum corps show

I'd agree. There are many things about the Godfather that inspire awe; Gordon Willis' photography, the casting, the breadth of the story line, the questions it raises about the roots of power in American society, and how the pursuit of power can corrupt even those who resist...

But the music, while emotionally effective, is not a major element of the films in I and II.

Perhaps the most obvious musical scene in the series is the party in Tahoe in GF II, with the tarantella that turns into "Pop Goes the Weasel". Guess they decided to pass on that one... :P

Edited by mobrien

There really isn't that much music, though. There's the waltz, the love theme, and that other song that plays after Michael assassinates Sollozzo and McCluskey. I think when we heard "hey, Blue Devils are doing Godfather music" we all went "WHOA!!! THAT KICKS ###!" but it's turning out that there's really not enough going on for a drum corps show.

Doesn't stop the judges from handing out three-point spreads like candy, though!

There's not enough for a drum corps show? I think their show is the required length, and it managed to keep me interested for it's entire length. Great stuff, but maybe I just like hearing the same thing over and over again. :P

Anyway, to get back on topic, Phantom did the opposite, drawing from a massive Mahler Symphony among other pieces, and made an equally pleasing musical program for me. I'm easy to please as long as it's good.

As of Decatur, the entire closer was brand new drill, yet to be cleaned at all. So of course its dirty now. Give the visual some time. Trust me.

Yes, I was in Decatur which was my 3rd viewing of PR at a show. There are several visual upgrades especially in the closer which will be spectacular when cleaned. There are also some notable music changes and a new ending which add greatly to their GE potential. With time and cleaning, their performance scores should keep rising which will help keep them from stalling out.

I agree with the guard contribution to the show...the male guard members have not seemed to "nail" important impact points...particularly in the opener. However, beyond the guard's general improvements in performance quality, there are some additions to costuming, etc. which will hopefully help out the overall package.

PR just seems to always be a "work in progress" whereas other corps...especially the Bluecoats...came out strong and clean from the beginning. I am simplay looking forward to the days when PR has THE show to beat ALL season long which I sense is in the near future...just takes time. I also have a sense that the standard set by the Cavaliers for putting together mainly visually oriented winning shows is cycling out...my hope is PR's perenial musicality...especially percussion excellence...combined with an increasingly higher standard for a visual package will pay dividends with a championship before we leave this decade.

Btw, bump. :)

Just saw the Regiment live the first time this year- wow. There's no words for it. By the end of the Mahler, my mouth was hanging open, and I was speechless. A great feeling isn't it? :laugh::mellow::worthy:

I am a big fan of the bluedevils but this show will not win finals! Squeaking by on horns and drums will not win a championship!

Will Phantom make a run? Who knows, BD is cleaner, But IMO they can't clean much more!

Especially from a Brass and percussion perspective.

I will say that if Phantom doesn't win I would prefer the Bluedevils!

Just saw the Regiment live the first time this year- wow. There's no words for it. By the end of the Mahler, my mouth was hanging open, and I was speechless. A great feeling isn't it?

This guy (or girl?) knows where it's at.

Edited by Studio Tan

Btw, bump. :)

Just saw the Regiment live the first time this year- wow. There's no words for it. By the end of the Mahler, my mouth was hanging open, and I was speechless. A great feeling isn't it? :wink::wink::wink:

Same here. I couldn't believe what I was seeing and hearing...it was completely unreal. I even started to cry a little bit. That's when you know a show is good. Not when you can tell some overly complex, convoluted story and basically carry out the design teams vision of a drum corps show they thought would be cool. It's when you can move the audience to tears.