Its A great pleasure to have you all here today

i agree. i dont mind innovation in drill. i dont mind the dance. i dont mind the pit, and Bb, while i miss that G sound, is ok in the right hands.

but to add a mic to an activity that stayed accoustic THRU EVERY OTHER CHANGE, to me, is not only not traditional, but becoming something that already exists.

even with the similarities between band and corps, corps always had that difference, that edge. now it's just woodwinds shy of being band. to me, that has no appeal. i like the distinct differences between the two.

you dont see thousands of fans going to band shows like you do corps. take out the moms, dads, brothers, sisters, grandpaents and aunts in the crowd, and band show attendance is miniscule.

take em out of drum corps, and the effect on the total attendance isn't 1/20th it would be at a band show.

there's a reason people pay good bucks to see corps...sometimes 10 times a year.....that they dont do for band shows.

HEAR HEAR!!!

If it becomes too much like a broadway show, then it looses it's appeal. But if you don't like it, you don't have to watch it. I was in Denver, and when Crown came on, I went to get a Coke. I haven't seen the Cadet's show, but it Broadway interferes with potential execution and the corps being heard, (drum solo) then it's a bad, bad thing, (IMO). I remember when Vanguard would do theme shows, the total picture was awesome, and nothing was left out. Perfect balance. Sounds like the Cadets show may be out of balance.

• Replies 341
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's unfortunate for the Cadets that the controversy has centred on them because of the increased use of amps in this year's show. It's also unfortunate that we can't all automatically love everything that happens on the field. The idea that we are whining can be equally applied to supporters whining that nobody likes the changes. Posts on both sides of the debate seem to be doing no good at all in terms of gaining converts, as both sides are pretty well entrenched and not likely to budge. The rest is all debate and discussion. Nothing wrong with that. Nobody is silly here except perhaps those that try to stifle the discussion.

Cheers

Jim

you are 100% correct.

HOWEVER; dont you think its silly to have threads everyday about the same thing? its not about converts. I dont think we are trying to change how people feel. really it just comes down to realizing whats important. DCI is growing. if you dont like it no one makes you watch cadets. if they like to make jokes about sending the audience to get a hot dog. then go get one. dont sit through a show you "hate" and then come home and cry about it online.

BTW im not really saying this to you im saying it to the general bashing public.

I <3 everyone and wish this forum could be used for fans helping fans and making friends. if you guys want to fight we should like meet in the parking lot before the show. go watch some hornlines and drum lines yell at each other in front of the members and then skip the show and have a beer right? :D

you are 100% correct.

HOWEVER; dont you think its silly to have threads everyday about the same thing? its not about converts. I dont think we are trying to change how people feel. really it just comes down to realizing whats important. DCI is growing. if you dont like it no one makes you watch cadets. if they like to make jokes about sending the audience to get a hot dog. then go get one. dont sit through a show you "hate" and then come home and cry about it online.

BTW im not really saying this to you im saying it to the general bashing public.

I <3 everyone and wish this forum could be used for fans helping fans and making friends. if you guys want to fight we should like meet in the parking lot before the show. go watch some hornlines and drum lines yell at each other in front of the members and then skip the show and have a beer right? :D

I do think this discussion has been done - and done - and re-done. I'm all with you there.

The problem is that this is very much a hot-button item for so many on both sides. People will talk about it. Think about all the social and moral debates that have lasted for decades and centuries. People want and even need to vent on the things they are passionate about. The problem will be when we lose so much of that passion that we don't care enough to debate.

I also have said several times that it's important to distinguish between Cadet-bashing and amp-bashing. Cadet bashing is unacceptable IMO - period. They have earned our respect 100 times over. Bashing the idea of amplifying on the field - as a concept I think it's fair game.

This forum will never be a Polyanna outfit of friends helping friends, as idyllic as that may sound. It's the nature of thise forums to bring out debate and that inevitably means disagreement. In itself that's not at all unhealthy as long as it's not carried to the extremes of personal attack.

Cheers

Jim

I do think this discussion has been done - and done - and re-done. I'm all with you there.

The problem is that this is very much a hot-button item for so many on both sides. People will talk about it. Think about all the social and moral debates that have lasted for decades and centuries. People want and even need to vent on the things they are passionate about. The problem will be when we lose so much of that passion that we don't care enough to debate.

I also have said several times that it's important to distinguish between Cadet-bashing and amp-bashing. Cadet bashing is unacceptable IMO - period. They have earned our respect 100 times over. Bashing the idea of amplifying on the field - as a concept I think it's fair game.

This forum will never be a Polyanna outfit of friends helping friends, as idyllic as that may sound. It's the nature of thise forums to bring out debate and that inevitably means disagreement. In itself that's not at all unhealthy as long as it's not carried to the extremes of personal attack.

Cheers

Jim

again I agree 110%

HOWEVER :D

there is cadet bashing. and there is also amp bashing. and then there is bashing stating that cadets make others use amps to stay competitive....

its just silly. how many div 1 corps use amps to mic the pit.. almost all of them... is anyone making them? no

I dont feel the need to defend The Cadets. I do feel the need to defend the way things are going. the point has been made. if corps dont change we would still be playing on no valved bugles and doing symetrical drill with marching timpani's. people will always fear change.

in 2009 I will be a rep for yamaha selling amps to bands corps and whoever else. there will be jet packs with 3d drill and marching string sections. :wink: :lolhit: :wink:

again I agree 110%

HOWEVER :D

there is cadet bashing. and there is also amp bashing. and then there is bashing stating that cadets make others use amps to stay competitive....

its just silly. how many div 1 corps use amps to mic the pit.. almost all of them... is anyone making them? no

I dont feel the need to defend The Cadets. I do feel the need to defend the way things are going. the point has been made. if corps dont change we would still be playing on no valved bugles and doing symetrical drill with marching timpani's. people will always fear change.

in 2009 I will be a rep for yamaha selling amps to bands corps and whoever else. there will be jet packs with 3d drill and marching string sections. :wink: :lolhit: :wink:

You are right - there has been Cadet bashing and many of us unhappy with this direction are trying to make the distinction between Cadets and amps as the object of the Bash. Personally I hate to see anyone bad-mouth the Cadets. Disagreeing with the rule changes and the choices made by the creative staff are a different issue from the corps as a whole.

And I have no problem that you disagree with my views. That's what discussion is for. Cheers

EDIT - the amping of the pit, while unpopular, isn't nearly the cause celeb that amping the voice is. While there would have been a lot of griping, I don't think amps would have met with such stiff resistance if the voice had been excluded.

Edited by kusankusho

Regarding "marching string sections" I have one word

MUMMERS ^0^ :P :wink::worthy:

this thread really got big over the night.

~>conner

MUMMERS ^0^ :P :wink::wink:

"Daddy - I want to go to Div 1 and play banjo...." :P

Regarding "marching string sections" I have one word

MUMMERS ^0^ :P :wink::wink:

what is.. "mummers" excatly

what is.. "mummers" excatly

Oh, oh keep forgettin' dis is a Philly thing. Yeah, I wan' my cheeze steak wid (onions).

www.mummers.com/stringbands is the web page of what I was referring to. To put it in a sound bite: Saxes, banjos, accordians, string basses, (missing something) all putting on a show out of parade formation every New Years in Philly. The costumes.... well the more hideous and gaudy the better. Just stare at a over decorated Christmas tree whille coming off some bad acid. :wink:

And Jim, banjo and accordian not too bad. But I always pitied the poor bastich marching with the string bass. :wink: Especially in cold parades and no (or fingerless) gloves.

Edited by JimF-xWSMBari