All the singing /Narration folks

Let’s all be honest here – the folks that like amps etc will think the narration is great even if Porky Pig does it. The anti-ampers will hate even if James Earl Jones (Mufasa!) is talking into the mic. This isn’t about technical proficiency - it’s a purely emotional issue.

And so black and white??? I disagree. There have been some amped vocals usage that I didn't care for at all and some that I actually thought worked pretty well. To me, it's like any other design tool. To be evaluated on how that specific corps utilzies it and how well it is incorporated into the final product.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Not at all. I'm a supporter of amps, as I'm sure you know, but that doesn't mean I enjoy every use. Take 2004. I loved Crown's singing, I thought it was a great goodbump moment. However, in the same show, I hated the "poetry". It makes me cringe still. As for Boston, I found their narration pretentious and distracting. However, in the same show, I loved the chant.

As I said above, narration is a tool like any other. Just as I enjoy some selections of music, or some passages by a hornline, doesn't mean that i'm going to enjoy every piece put on the field, or every note that's played by a corps. The difference is, while there are moments of narration I don't like, I'm not willing to abandon the tool just because it's missed the mark a few times. No one would suggest that we get rid of a hornline, simply because we don't like the piece that they're playing.

Hornline is an integral part of drum corps - amped voice is not.

DCI and certain corps don't seem to really give a hoot what us fans REALLY like and dislike. They are going to do what they please....

Are you really prepared and qualified to speak for all drum corps fans? The thing that many people don't understand in this argument is that, even if they're really, really vocal on the issue, they're not right or wrong, and they don't speak for everyone.

Just like any show design choice, there are going to be elements that people will like and other's will dislike. To me saying that "Corps X use of narration didn't please me, so no one should get the opportunity to use them," is akin to saying "Those guard uniforms are ugly and I don't like red, so no one should get to use red guard uniforms again."

It's not in any corps' interest to not entertain at least a segment of the crowd. I suspect for every "Drum corps is dead because of amps" person, there's an "I enjoyed that show more because of the narration" person. It's not my place, or your's, to tell them that they voice isn't a valid part of drum corps fandom

Correct me if I'm wrong, but when you say something to the effect of "My opinion is REALLY what drum corps fans want," despite people on these very boards expressing different opinions, it's a little holier than thou.

And so black and white??? I disagree. There have been some amped vocals usage that I didn't care for at all and some that I actually thought worked pretty well. To me, it's like any other design tool. To be evaluated on how that specific corps utilzies it and how well it is incorporated into the final product.

Nothing is black and white - I'm not that naive. But if you read these posts folks go to the same show and depending on their bias the crowd loved/hated the show. They gave a standing ovation/sat on their hands. On and On. No real point debating the technique. I used James Earl Jones because I love the sound of that man's voice, but if I hear it on a drum corps field - hotdog.....

Edited by kusankusho

I think that's on the money. I neither love nor hate amps, although I might love or hate how they are used in a particular show by a particular design team.

Sorry, but if I heard James Earl Jones reciting the narrative in the Blue Stars show for example (the freedoms), I would be glued to my seat and would probably have goosebumps a mile high! The guy could read the phone book and I would get goosebumps. :)

DCI and certain corps don't seem to really give a hoot what us fans REALLY like and dislike. They are going to do what they please....as we drum corps nuts become more divided. Give me a corps who blasts me 5 rows back and I'm thrilled. I know, I know.....not gonna happen.

pssst... Bridgemen Alumni . August 5th . Allentown

carry on.

All the pro narration/singing folks still have not answered the question.

The answer can't be" because they can"

Sure we have. The problem is, it's not the answer you're looking for. SCV '89 was a great show without amps. Bluecoats '06 is also a great show without amps. Adding amps won't automatcially make a show better, but no one ever said they would.

The more I read, the worse it gets. I'm not so sure what us drum corps purists are supposed to do. This same controversy has been going on and on and on. Are we stuck with all these new ummmm, ummmm "elements"? We not only have amps and narration, but now we even have picnic tables. Too bad Hop won't let us use them during intermissions. Will the day come when a hornline is going to let loose for a change and blast me 5 rows back? Will we ever see marching again as opposed to what is referred to as dancing??? I already know the answers....maybe I was just setting myself up for the inevitable.