DCA WEST

This has gone far away from my original intent..

Not interested in making a new circuit, just a DCA sanctioned show on the west coast, with DCA Judges, DCA sheets.

Thanks

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think these two are trying to get back to the original question posted.

Tom, not Thom, Thanks for all the great insight on this. Patience and careful planning for expansion is the key to success.

Thom, not Tom, I know this thread kind of got turned into creating a DCA West circut rather than your original of just a DCA sanctioned event. So...Tom, to kind of follow the original question.....would it be possible to have a DCA sanctioned event "out west" even if there is no DCA West circut?

If so, perhaps special invitations to the corps closest to us in So Cal, but not limiting entry to them, and giving them enough lead time to plan it into their budget, we could make this a big success.

This has gone far away from my original intent..

Not interested in making a new circuit, just a DCA sanctioned show on the west coast, with DCA Judges, DCA sheets.

Thanks

To me it appears that they ARE NOT asking about forming a west coast circut for DCA but just want to hold a DCA sanctioned show that the west coast DCA corps and other DCA corps could attend and have it count like any other official DCA show. So the question in the simplest form seems to be:

"Could one of the west coast DCA corps hold a DCA sanctioned contest?"

Seems like it could be Dream that is interested in doing this since it was one of their people asking. Dont address a west coast cirtcut idea, address the question.

smiling politely, this is Tom, not Thom

Lee of course, is right... 3 corps is "light" quantity wise... the object should be to be large enough to support several area shows... and the 3 corps alone are not enough.

So, where does that leave us?

1. Still participating in DCI West shows - using DCA sheets (thank you Tom Hope and all)

2. Trying to foster the growth of other all aged competing corps in the West

3. Trying - as they are already doing successfully - to create drum corps life (competitive shows) after the first tour on the west coast comprised of the all aged corps and any Juniors not touring and/or alumni corps - this of course will go a long way toward making the talented west coast corps far more competitive come Labor Day weekend. The marketing success of Renegades proves this can be done.

4. To finally answer the original question, could there be a DCA sanctioned show on the west coast? The answer of course is YES... DCA would have to be in charge of the competition with a show coordinator on site running the show, a trained tabulator, assign the judges (some of course could be local) and appropriate sponsor fees paid. The only question I have is: Financially, would it be worth it? Further, somewhere there is a "definition" of a sanctioned show the rule book mentions a minimum of 3 member, associate member or affiliate corps. Until River City is able to come east and attain that status, I don't know if this rule can be waived... both the South and Midwest have been in compliance with this...

As I mentioned before, when Mickey Petrone gave his blessing to DCA South, I was one who volunteered as show coordinator/tabulator/chief judge for the first few shows. With only a few local judges and some good work obtaining reasonable air fares, we kept the cost reasonable... Yes, it can be done... but we are probably premature...

Thanks Tom. Those were the answers I was waiting for.

Eventually I really do hope that we can have enough involvement to justify having DCA West.

Thanks Tom. Those were the answers I was waiting for.

Eventually I really do hope that we can have enough involvement to justify having DCA West.

Thom, what did you do with the capital "T" in your last name? :)

exactly Jeff... patience is word one...

there is nothing written that describes the necessary qualities to gain a positive vote creating DCA West... It is an overall evaluation process..

DCA has seen Renegades (YIKES! smiling profusely) and Dream... yes, attendance at prelims by a third corps would help, but a TOTAL evaluation of what is happening in that region and their plans for the future would be a larger factor than how many can afford to come east for DCA Championships.

As for the attendance at DCA Championship being a part of the equation for DCA Central, as I remember it, that was written into the proposal by the Central corps - Not by the voting members of DCA. It was something they chose to do themselves.

ah, i did not know the midwest corps did that themselves.....very cool.

i understand the financial nightmare of coming in, but it'd be nice some day to see every senior competitive corps at DCA just once for prelims

Thom, what did you do with the capital "T" in your last name? :)

Lee,

You mean the lower case one at the end?

I just put it back where it belonged.. :drool:

Quote: [As for the attendance at DCA Championship being a part of the equation for DCA Central, as I remember it, that was written into the proposal by the Central corps - Not by the voting members of DCA. It was something they chose to do themselves

Actually, when the "blessing" was given originally to the South region, part of the guidelines of the trial run, that was approved by DCA Exec board and voting membership, was that in order to maintain regional stature, the region corps' needed to compete "out of region" at least one time during the competitive season to show suppport of the circuit and also, so that we did not become our own "circuit".

When DCA South was officially approved by the membership a few years later, we set about to set up Region guidelines , and we reworded it to state that in order to maintain Region Membership status, a region corps must compete in a specified number (2 for 06) of shows, one of which must be an "out of region" contest , which can be that years DCA Championships.

When the DCA Central Region was formed and approved , Flash got the DCA-S guidelines and presented them to DCA-C to use as their guidelines, with some rewrites , and that included the out of region contest .