DCA WEST

With this being my first year involved in a DCA corps(after a couple with a Div 2 corps), I have a couple of questions

Honestly, what would it take to have a DCA sponsored event on the west coast?

Would it be worth the costs to fly out a panel that actually knows the criteria that is on the DCA sheets?

Would anyone not on the West Coast actually come out?

Just some questions

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Frontier would come out, you are just as close as MN and GA for us

With this being my first year involved in a DCA corps(after a couple with a Div 2 corps), I have a couple of questions

Would it be worth the costs to fly out a panel that actually knows the criteria that is on the DCA sheets?

Just some questions

Thom,

Great questions and wonderful foresight into the future.

If the current DCA West corps and any new entries, Seattle? Oregon?, step forward I think it would be a wonderful event. I can't stress enough how much any DCA W members would need to work together on such a project. Maybe you could invite some junior corps or even non-corps units to make it a big event.

A panel more familiar with DCA sheets?? Talk to Rich Templin, Tom Peashey, etc. I expect Peashey will pop in on this one. Consider this one carefully if it's going to add a lot to the expenses, but I sure feel your pain.

Those corps far from the West Coast would certainly have to consider the extensive travel expenses...Hmm, Empire? They certainly have taken some far-off trips.

Congratulations for putting on the thinking caps.

I think to have a circuit -- and therefore be able to have a DCA sanctioned event -- you need to have 3 corps (which we do)

I certainly think so...and we could schedule it later in the season so those div II/III DCI corps that don't go to finals can get additional performances...Jester, BDC, etc...BDC gets the last slot, of course...night show for the wee ones!

Hey....we could even *gasp* have a full retreat!!!!

Just some questions

Frontier already answered that one...plus there may be High Country Brass out of Denver in teh future, as well as some other Srs for whom most shows are about teh same drive...they may take the novelty of a Left Coast tour over the same old places.

Edited by 84BDsop

I think that there would have to be two things to make that happen:

1) River City Regiment would have to make the trek out to the DCA Championships. It seems that the creation of DCA South and DCA Central have both gone hand-in-hand with all of the corps involved making that commitment.

2) More corps! As it stands, DCA South has 5 corps in the line-up at Rockmart, and DCA Central has 7 coming for the St. Peter and South St. Paul shows. Both regions have corps forming and/or coming back in the next two years. DCA West, as it stands, would have 3... 4 if you count the fact that the Frontier guy posted the probability of his corps going in that earlier post. I've heard rumblings of a DCA corps from Oregon. That makes 4. I think that numbers would be needed.

Well Frontier is a charter member of DCA-C, and won't be joining DCA-S or DCA-W, but will be a founding member of whatever we call the Left out states region :)

And we'll still go to any show we wish that will have us... South, Central, West, or the moon (with corporate sponsorships or LOTS of Car Washes)

Thanks for some of this(read...Sam you are out here wasn't asking you :mellow: )

Cozy when you get a chance(not right away Like after RoCHACHA) lets talk about this)

There would need to be A LOT more promotion and fan support in the West. Senior corps is rather unknown and the stereotype is that of standstill alumni corps or super-mega-old-school.

I went to one of the recent So. CA shows that had the 3 senior corps and 10 junior corps, none of which were top-12 Div 1. Despite being in the 2nd largest city, my family and I literally bought tickets ($10) when we got to the show late, sat mid-way up the bleachers on the 50, and had 2 empty rows in front and behind us for the entire show. There was no one sitting outside the 35 yard lines at all. In contrast, the show with SCV, BD, and BK just a couple weeks before was in a much larger stadium and was packed, with tickets at $22-30.

So what I'm saying is the scene needs to improve, at least in LA, to host a DCA show and be able to pay for travel, judges, etc.

Just some questions

Hey Thom - talk to me about this next time you run into me. I have been working on this for a few years now.

The input you are getting here is accurate.

Hey Thom - talk to me about this next time you run into me. I have been working on this for a few years now.

The input you are getting here is accurate.

Thanks Chris...

Oohh by the way here's the first reminder.

Can I get a copy of the kiss

Lol