I.C. Reveries/27th Lancers

Joel was the first former Royal Coachmen to march 2-7 but the second was Colleen Grapes...maybe marched in the rifle line in 1978. She marched with Imperial Regiment (NY) after the Royal Coachmen disbanded in May 1977.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Joel was the first former Royal Coachmen to march 2-7 but the second was Colleen Grapes...maybe marched in the rifle line in 1978. She marched with Imperial Regiment (NY) after the Royal Coachmen disbanded in May 1977.

I remeber Collen, but I'm pretty sure she was a flag. She had an apartment right around the corner from me that she shared with another girl (Alan Cobb's girlfriend)

I remember that! Although I remember it being Ft. Collins. Denver is where we spelled out a message on the practice field in empty cans (not Coca-Cola) the night before finals. We might have finished 7th at finals, but we won "top funny" off the field.

There's an active thread about the 1978 video and how un-related most of the top 12 repetoires were (no themes to the shows, just a hodge-podge of different styles of music).

We DEFINITELY fit that description. Who picked that music??

I know George Z. picked the "Papaya" drum solo and the original concert (T.O.P.'s "Because I Think the World of You"). Who the #### came up with the idea of a medley of "Close Encounters of the Third Kind" and "I Got the Music in ME"????????

(Don't get me started on pom-poms and maces) :sshh:

Garfield got the "Z-pull"; we got Marc Sylvester disco-ing! b**bs b**bs b**bs

(Although it WAS a good product in the end - the video looks good, and you saw a definite evolution of style over 75-77) 1979 was a HUGE difference - Zingali was becoming "ZINGALI"!

My husband marched with you...who are you? :) He is Roger from California. :) He talks about that alot. He went to make BD in 79 but decided against it cause Lancers were his heart he just couldn't afford to fly back out to Revere from California.

There's an active thread about the 1978 video and how un-related most of the top 12 repetoires were (no themes to the shows, just a hodge-podge of different styles of music).

We DEFINITELY fit that description. Who picked that music??

I know George Z. picked the "Papaya" drum solo and the original concert (T.O.P.'s "Because I Think the World of You"). Who the #### came up with the idea of a medley of "Close Encounters of the Third Kind" and "I Got :

Garfield got the "Z-pull"; we got Marc Sylvester disco-ing! b**bs b**bs b**bs

(Although it WAS a good product in the end - the video looks good, and you saw a definite evolution of style over 75-77) 1979 was a HUGE difference - Zingali was becoming "ZINGALI"!

I was at individuals in Denver or wherever it was when they added Close Encounters, but I believe that may have been added prior to finals because our show was off by maybe 45 seconds, so they threw that in-we didn't need a 1 point penalty that year (if that's how much it would have been). When I got back they said, after OTL - a contra bass will play this many counts of Close Encounters....I said WHAT THE _ _ _ _????????? In my usual truck driver language....:sshh: :blink:

Zingali wanted us to dance so bad that he must have begged for those songs. The announcer loved the concert section-however she didn't like the 4 different uniforms. That's how many she counted...I think it was more.

Remember in 79 learning Donna Summer's song? Wait this is JH right, so you grad-iated in 78 right? I'm sure you heard about Let's Dance.....

When I got back they said, after OTL - a contra bass will play this many counts of Close Encounters....I said WHAT THE _ _ _ _????????? In my usual truck driver language....:sshh: :blink:

I would love to hear that, Nanc ...spoken with the BAHSton/Reveeeeah accent I understand you have.. (which apparently cannot be understood by anyone west of Hartford.)

You admitted to cheesing our Guardsmen guard girls in Olympic retreats ... telling them not to trip on anything 'cuz their heads were tilted too far up ...

but in reality, they probably heard you but just couldn't understand you... b**bs b**bs ^0^

Yes, Nancy, it's "JH". I actually learned the contrabass part to "Last Dance". I somehow ended up a contra after I graduated. The corps needed contrabasses at the time for the Olympics, and I filled in until someone of age was available. I can picture the guy who arranged it, but I can't remember his name. He once arranged for Beverly Cardinals, I believe, but it wasn't Rick Connor.

By the way, it was my idea to have the hornline point to the upper decks of the stadium while the contra part to "Close Encounters" was played. It was supposed to be a re-enactment of the movie when the mother ship became visible from the earthlings. (YIKES!) I've noticed that the five notes are actually played in two different keys (the bottom notes - DUM DAAAAH) being a different key than the first three. I'm not sure if that was intentional or not. :blink:

Stephanie, my name is Jim Hickey, I played mellophone. Was your husband once known as "Roger Dodger"? If so I remember him, although not too well after 28 years, I admit.

Edited by A27Lancer

my name is Jim Hickey, I played mellophone. Was your husband once known as "Roger Dodger"? If so I remember him, although not too well after 28 years, I admit.

James - I am surprised at you. Roger Doger was Margaret Mary's boyfriend from Framingham no less. One of Mary Dwyer's recruits. If you recall, Roger was a bit laid back, and MM lead him around as if he had a ring in his nose.

My husband told me this story and now every time I hear "Can Can" I Hear this song...y'all were awfull... :P

Actually - we first did this in 77 - compliments of Stewie's sabers and the rifle line. They must have also copied it again in 78.

No, Awful was in 1978 Denver when someone (who?) tied a certain member of the cymbal line (Ed Corwin) to a tree, pantsed him, and then went and got the colorguard to see the event. :P ^0^ ^0^

More history lessons - John Martin, I am dissappointed in you. Smiling Eddie was attached to a tree during a day at the beach, while on our southern tour in 77. Of course, he also wanted to take his clothes off after our last drumline run thru in Denver and when we got off the bus, somehow we disbursed to the awaiting corps at the hotel. And last but not least, I am reasonalby certain that Ed did not march in 78.

I would have thought that Joel would have been Govenor of the Commonwealth by now. I wonder what Hymie would say........

Sincerely, the other JH

James - I am surprised at you. Roger Doger was Margaret Mary's boyfriend from Framingham no less. One of Mary Dwyer's recruits. If you recall, Roger was a bit laid back, and MM lead him around as if he had a ring in his nose.

Actually - we first did this in 77 - compliments of Stewie's sabers and the rifle line. They must have also copied it again in 78.

More history lessons - John Martin, I am dissappointed in you. Smiling Eddie was attached to a tree during a day at the beach, while on our southern tour in 77. Of course, he also wanted to take his clothes off after our last drumline run thru in Denver and when we got off the bus, somehow we disbursed to the awaiting corps at the hotel. And last but not least, I am reasonalby certain that Ed did not march in 78.

I would have thought that Joel would have been Govenor of the Commonwealth by now. I wonder what Hymie would say........

Sincerely, the other JH

Actually, I should be known as the other JH! You've been around longer!

So, who was Roger from California? What did he play? Boy, my memory is worse than I thought, although John and I both remember the de-pantsing of Eddie as being Colorado. I think we were staying at a school that a certain Mid-Western corps had left a mess and George B. made us clean the place before we moved in.

(I still haven't figured out to make the "italics" work on this website, and I'm expected to remember something that happened almost 30 years (and 30,000 beers) ago. SHEEESH! :P

Edited by A27Lancer

Actually, I should be known as the other JH! You've been around longer!

So, who was Roger from California? What did he play? Boy, my memory is worse than I thought, although John and I both remember the de-pantsing of Eddie as being Colorado. I think we were staying at a school that a certain Mid-Western corps had left a mess and George B. made us clean the place before we moved in.

(I still haven't figured out to make the "italics" work on this website, and I'm expected to remember something that happened almost 30 years (and 30,000 beers) ago. SHEEESH! :P

Jim must be sliding some... :P (jk), my husband was also known as "Roger Dodger", he was the skinny Contra player on the end from California. He had marched with Knight Raiders the year before. Roger Louden is his name.

Hey Jim Hickey (I have to clarify that now), I was a mello player too so we have that in common. Oh if you haven't checked out the "official" website we have some goodies on there..my husband and I run it for George B. and family. Oh and keep in touch cause our 40th reunion is coming up next year. (Can you believe it?) Bobby has something already in the works so stay tuned to the website for updates and send us your email so we can keep it up when we send out notifications of reunions and such..... Click on the link in the bottom of my signature. Or here..

27thLancers.net

We watch that 78 DVD from time to time..I love the hodge podge of tunes...but I'm glad they decided to skip Donna Summer in 79... :worthy: I also get a kick out of watching Marc Sylvester doing disco in that solo in "Celebrate".. b**bs there's a picture of him on the website doing that. He begged me not to put up when I saw him at finals last year. He tried to pay me off... b**bs

Edited by Lancerlady

Sincerely, the other JH

Yep, that's what my hubby said that it was first done in 77 and it was copied in 78. Pom pom's must of added good GE to the ordeal.. b**bs

Wow and I thought the guys were hard on me when I marched and I have some stories to tell...but from what I understand the things they did to me they did cause they liked me :worthy: ...I'd hate to see what they did to folks they didn't like... :P