Audience etiquette

The most annoying is when there is someone having a full conversation, and then gets louder to talk over the brass cresendo. It happened in Battle Creek and I think by the time I turned around I didn't need to say anything to the lady, that she got the point from my face, but of course I went ahead anyway. Needless to say I got to enjoy the rest of the performance.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Since there are no longer retreats, I have noticed that corps members who perform early on will change out of their uniforms and then move into the stands. At one show I was at, members of a corps and staff from that corps were sitting in front of me talking on their cell phones and sending text messages during performances. I have no idea what corps they were from.

I was at Madison's show a couple weeks ago and the ushers stopped everyone coming in during a performance and wait until the corps preforming was finished. Shouldn't that be standard procedere at all shows. I've certainly been to a lot of shows where it wasn't.

On a side note the usher in front of me was former Scout director and DCI hall of fame member Bill Howard.

Well, no, not really. The standing ovation is supposed to be the ultimate in crowd response, something above and beyond the normal applause that everyone deserves. If you give a standing ovation to every single corps, it kind of devalues the action. If you're doing something at the maximum all the time, how do you go past that? It's hard to play a crescendo when you're always at fortissimo.

If a show blows you away, yeah, stand up, by all means. But if a show just totally leaves you cold, you have no obligation to stand. You should clap, at least, but nobody has to give a standing ovation for a show that doesn't deserve one. That just makes it mean less for the times when you really SHOULD break it out.

I agree with this. However, I must admit to feeling rude if I do not stand. Haven't reconciled this yet. Maybe stand out of respect to the performers and for their efforts, but stand and go wild for the exceptional performance? Maybe it also depends on the venue. It seems more rude in smaller venues... Don't know. Guess I'll come to terms with it as I see more shows.

I don't give every corps a standing O after their performance, but I do give every corps a standing O when they troupe the stands. IMO, the first is a reward for the product, the latter is the reward for the hard work.

what is troupe the stands - going up into the stands when playing an encore?

That works. Besides, The Corps That Cannot Be Named doesn't troupe anyway, so no guilt.

'The Corps That Cannot Be Named'... LOL - that's exactly what I was thinking to myself for a while there...

what is troupe the stands - going up into the stands when playing an encore?

"Trooping the stands" is when (if) the corps marches past the stands on the track as they leave the field.

"Trooping the stands" is when (if) the corps marches past the stands on the track as they leave the field.

One thing I really like about Pioneer is that they do this. Many other corps do not.

I was at a show a few weeks back and event staff volunteers where selling 50/50 tickets during the first 1-2 minutes of each corps performance. It took some glares from people in the audience as well as someone to ask them to sit down. I'm all for raising money for the corps and selling 50-50 but as soon the the DM salutes, that should be the volunteers signal to take a seat.

I wish people would cheer more -- the shows I go to people act like they are at a symphony concert --- golf claps at the end of each number and at the end of the show.

Meanwhile I'm cheering at good tosses, good lickes, ect and people are glaring at me.

It's a drum corps show -- the more you cheer the more the performers are going to put out.

People would cheer more IF there was a product on the field worth cheering for.

when i see people being idiots at shows, i wait til between corps and tell em about it. and i do it in a way that makes them look like jerks in front of everyone.

usually shuts em up

Tell us how you do that.

All the talking during performances really drives me crazy. From what I see, it's mostly coming from all these high school band members that sit together as a group. They cut up, laugh, giggle and run their mouths all night. Most of them don't appear to be the least bit interested in the show. Blame their band directors for the bad behavior. They are usually sitting right there with them and don't do anything about the juvenile behavior. If I were a high school band director, I'd lay down the law beforehand about talking during a performance.

Another thing that I hate is when SOME OF THE CORPS sell snare sticks at their booth. Then said high school drummer procede to bring said sticks up into the stands and procede to start banging on the bleachers. Solution: Don't sell sticks until after the show is over.