Largest and Loudest this summer

Since the invention of Mylar and going to Bb...

Drums have become louder and Hornlines softer.

No wonder there needs to be 70+ horns on the field. :-)

The largest loudest on the filed this year?

Kingsmen Alumni, Walnut CA on June 28.

90 frustrated old brass players and all in the key of G and a lot of Chrome (except for Phil Norris)

Ron Z

PS: 150 G brass in Pasadena for 07. Don't miss it. Kingsmen Alumni!

The largest loudest on the filed this year?

Kingsmen Alumni, Walnut CA on June 28.

I'm wrong...Madison Scouts Alumni are the biggest "this" summer. :-)

Spirit of JSU is really really loud this year. While watching the show, they were so much louder than everyone else I wondered for a moment if they weren't in G. B)

Santa Clara Vanguard Battery.

Saw them early in the season (Moonlight Classic) and they

were in an "out for blood" mode that I haven't seen since

1999. Very raw - bombastic - without losing musicality.

Definitley bring ear plugs for parking lot sessions...and a

"must watch" during regular shows.

MAV

PS I agree about the alumni corps though...can't wait to see hear!

Since the invention of Mylar and going to Bb...

Drums have become louder and Hornlines softer.

PS: 150 G brass in Pasadena for 07. Don't miss it. Kingsmen Alumni!

Ron,

I think you may be slightly misinformed. "Mylar" was invented in the 1960s, and was used by drumlines up through the mid-'80's, when Kevlar, and then later other forms of woven fiber drumheads took over for the snare drums, such as the material used in the remo White Max head (Mylar is still used for many bass and tenor heads). While these newer types of heads allow for tighter tuning and higher pitches, the actual volume, or Sound Pressure level is lower, due to the lack of head compression that these materials allow (especially, Kevlar). In effect, less air is being compressed inside the snare drum, and therefore much less movement of the bottom head and activation of the snare guts. So, we can state that snare lines, in general, are not nearly as loud as they were in the late '70's and early '80's.

Bass lines these days, are MUCH quieter, since the drum sizes have become smaller and the mallets have gone from heavy aluminum shafted mallets, to lightweight, more articulate wood-shafted mallets. Lighter weight + smaller beater head on a smaller drum = lower sound pressure level. They simply aren't moving as much air through the drum. Tenor lines have become quieter as the tuning moves higher and lines move from mallets to lighter weight tenor "sticks". While this facilitates greater speed and articulation for more complex rudimental passages at greater tempos, again, less air is being moved through the drums, and therefore the SPL suffers. Another problem with modern tenor drums is that the chamfered cut on all modern top of the line tenor drums is too shallow, and does not direct nearly as much fundamental tone forward as did earlier designs such as Slingerland's Cut-A-Ways. While these newer tenor drums may have a so-called desirable deeper tone, that tone does not project forward as well as the older designs. One of the comments we have heard regarding our two outdoor KAC performances is that our hornline is much louder than our drumline. This can be attributed, in part, to 1) the G-bugles the hornline is using, and 2) the use of modern heads and mallets in our snare and bass lines.

You are quite correct about the Bb horns though. They are indeed quieter than their G Counterparts. Even my wife, who knows little about drum corps, can tell the difference.

Santa Clara Vanguard Battery.

Saw them early in the season (Moonlight Classic) and they

were in an "out for blood" mode that I haven't seen since

1999. Very raw - bombastic - without losing musicality.

Definitley bring ear plugs for parking lot sessions...and a

"must watch" during regular shows.

MAV

PS I agree about the alumni corps though...can't wait to see hear!

Tina, How's it going?!

Scott! Going great! And you?

For folks who don't know Scott was a Freelancer

& USC tenor. His brother did Blue Knights snare.

(I LOVED Freelancers 82!!!!!)

Both are great players with a great background

in corps.

L8R!

Edited by MAV

Madisn Scouts Alumni is the largest and the LOUDEST hornline ever. It will never be topped. Say what you will wish what you want. Never ever will you feel a hornline with this power. This not against any one, I'm not saying, I'm just saying that this power needs to be felt as well as heard. I love all horn lines big, small it makes no difference as long as there is a horn line.

RF