Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

maybe its just me..

but everytime i see a cadets video..

or see them in person..

all i can think is..

BAND GEEKS.

(talented band geeks.. yes.. but still band geeks. maybe thats why the cadets tuba guy left bd this year in the middle of the night to go back to the cadets because he didnt fit in with all the non-bandos. lol)

FYI, cire, you are using the term "geek" a bit out of context, I think:

"Geek

It is commonly touted that geek originally meant a sideshow performer who bites the heads off chickens or snakes. While this is a sense of the word, it is not the original one.

Geek is actually a very old word. It is a variant of geck, a term of Low German/Dutch origin that dates in English to 1511. It means a fool, simpleton, or dupe. Geck is even used by Shakespeare in Twelfth Night, V.i.:

Why haue you suffer'd me to be imprison'd. And made the most notorious gecke and gull That ere inuention plaid on?

The geek spelling is an American variation, even though Shakespeare uses the spelling geeke in Cymbeline V.iv., but this is probably just a misspelling. Geek first appears (outside the single Shakespearean usage) in 1876 America. American usage adds the connotation of offensive or undesirable to the original foolish and stupid sense. The Carnival sideshow sense appears in 1928."

(Quote taken from www.wordorigins.org/wordorg.htm)

However, given the sense of the word as you use it, cire, I would still be open to debate the usage of the following slurs:

Band Beatniks

Band Coots

Band Creeps

Band Freaks

Band Fruitcakes

Band Goofballs

Band Hippies

Band Kooks

Band Mavericks

Band Nonconformists

Band Nuts*

Band Nutcakes

Band Oddballs

Band Oddities

Band Queer Ducks*

Band Rare Birds*

Band Screwballs

Band Three Dollar Bills*

Band Weirdos

Band Whackos

Band Wombats

Band Zombies

* = informal or slang

(I hope everyone smells the sarcasm at this point...)

BTW, please be nice, people. Those kids are having more fun right now than any of us. I assure you all that much. We like the groups we like, applaud the ones we don't and let everyone else know where we stand. Even though the common ground in this forum is oftentimes only the ground on which we all stand to berate those with contrary opinions, let's remain civil.

Without civility, about all we have to brag about is the opposable thumb... B)

maybe its just me..

but everytime i see a cadets video..

or see them in person..

all i can think is..

BAND GEEKS.

(talented band geeks.. yes.. but still band geeks. maybe thats why the cadets tuba guy left bd this year in the middle of the night to go back to the cadets because he didnt fit in with all the non-bandos. lol)

umm... how do you think the rest of the world views anyone that marches, whether it be DC or MB?

you're all band geeks!

I wish more corps would do these...

...if the whole "All Access" thing catches on around the top 12, and people are willing to pony up for it...you may get your wish.

I think it may be a little overkill, excepting parents and the most hard core of boosters for certain corps, especially with "Season Pass" available for a more comprehensive look at the activity.

i was talking specifically about the "tech cam" closeups - its so cool how the video followed specific individual members through portions of their performance

Phantom Regiments 2003 tour DVD had the same thing, more or less, if you're looking for more stuff like that.