Design vs. Execution, Novel Approach

You all have points. Critique is often where vague points make it to judge's consciousness, not looping in "the fan". However the bell effect -- bad example. That wasn't terribly hard to accept as a "mirror" from the start to the finish. I didn't get that it was a washing machine "ding", but it was still an effect that made sense to me as a fan.

I think, once again, staff-to-judge explanation is a shortcut. If someone can't understand the GE from the show, well, that's that. It doesn't always have to be complex, and maybe it has a "deeper meaning". But it's tough to think that it's a good thing to allow credit for something that's like an inside joke...

Favoring either aspect over the other gives the staffs incentive to NOT put as much time in the one that is less valuable. This applies to music/visual, demand/execution, design/execution, you name it.

Once you say "this one is more important" you are also saying "this other one is NOT as important". And that just makes that whole area of the show weaker in the long run.

Separating the different aspect as close to 50/50 as you can is the only way you can let the staffs choose how to design their shows and what to put the emphasis on. That gives us fans a wider variety of shows. A corps that marches great but doesn't play so well can be just as successful as a corps who does the opposite. And if a corps wants to max out everything, they will need to spend design time and cleaning time on everything.

Make everything equal and let each corps decide how it wants to proceed. Writing artificial handicaps into the judging system is the easiest way to make things stagnant and monotonous.

Really? No one? I got it first time I saw it. It wasn't rocket science. It was actually pretty clever. I guess I am no one. Phantom & Phitch has spoken :P

I had no clue.

Mind you, if they mentioned it on the DVD commentary, I haven't listened to it yet.

if performance gets averaged, GE should too