Will a judge put Bluecoats first if they deserve it?

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not sure if it will happen, but if it does happen my money would be on brass with Steve Calhoun judging, He's the same guy a few years back who had Patriots over Crossmen in brass at San Ant. during the afternoon show...... and having some experience with his numbers i think he is one of the only judges who will call it the way he sees it no matter what the outcome may be. Meaning if he thinks you are better, he will reward you no matter what corps you are.

Sorry - the answer is no.

There was a meeting of the powers that be a few days ago. It was determined that it is not to be. Not yet. They will reconsider their position after a few years of Blu being in the top 5.

I've said too much...

:worthy:

What is this all about? "The powers that be?" IF this were the case, I'd just stop sticking around for retreat.

One thing that I would like to see though is a candid post from a recently retired judge that was actually willing to disclose how the whole process actually goes down.

Edited by midwesternlull

actually Phantom just beath them in guard last night. so 2nd in only 3 captions.

Just going by DCP's own Caption Ranking System, which I believe takes into consideration every corps' last four scores ... so while Phantom beating Bluecoats in CG makes "#2" a little less "real," adding in each corps' previous three scores before that must still have Bluecoats on top.

But what a battle between those two, eh? Even a week or so ago, when Bluecoats beat them twice in a row, Phantom was still ranked ahead overall in DCP's system b/c of a really high score before for Phantom.

It's all just numbers!! And like I said, it's nice to be in this conversation rather than the "13-12-11 ..." conversation the Bluecoats were in not too long ago.

Any judge will put a corps in first if they deserve it

Oh and they could win percussion from all the reviews I've heard

I agree, A judge can put them in first in a caption if they deserve it. Could the Bluecoats win a caption ? In my view it's possible, but doubtful. Will the Bluecoats beat the Blue Devils this year ? Not a chance. Zip. But they have a chance to beat the 2nd tier Corps and even take as high as 3rd this year, in my opinion. My guess, when it's all is said and done, the Bluecoats beat Phantom by a few tenths at Finals to take 4th.

Edited by X DM

I'm not big into conspiracy theories.

However, I believe that some DCI judges are hesitant to put corps like Blue and Phantom ahead of corps like Cavaliers sometimes. Obviously, not all judges are like this, but like we've been told all these years- if you want to hang with the big boys, you have to stomp them, not just play at their level.

It's taken Bluecoats 7 years of rebuilding to get an ounce of respect out of the DCI general public (obvious exceptions here too). How many times did DCP predictions have us in 11th or 12th after finishing 7th the year before? It's easy to count out the kids without any rings in their history.

The judging community is really interesting to watch this year, especially seeing how corps like Phantom, Blue, and Cadets flip-flop in captions so much. To me, it's a very good sign that some people in green polos are getting the b*lls to give the numbers to the underdogs when they deserve it.

Personally? I want to see the Blue and White teams in 2nd and 3rd this year and in 1st and 2nd in 2007. It's kind of like wanting the Patriots to not make the Superbowl. I love Cinderella seasons. B)

I usually found that corps are placed appropriately at shows. Those that don't think so either weren't at the competition to observe all of the corps, or they have a bias so extreme that it prevents them from seeing things as a normal fan or judge would.

That being said, if Bluecoats or any other corps deserves 1st place they will receive it.

seems like this is the year Blue has the tools to screw up the annual pecking order at DCI. I think, from the looks of it, they'll get the numbers if they deserve it

yeah Jeff - the pecking order has DEFINITELY changed this year.

ANY judge SHOULD be willing to give the PLACEMENT and then the NUMBER that is deserved - regardless of prior placements, reputation.

It's time for some DESERVED changes at the top.

Will they win? probably not this year.

Could they? absolutely.

Could they win a caption or two? Medal? probably.

bloooooo!

Edited by KFanti

I saw them and Phantom in West Monroe. Bluecoats were far more engaging and CLEAN! Love the entire package and I felt "connected" the entire show. The ballad is gorgeous and sensitive like I've never seen them.

They could EASILY win color guard, drums or brass.