Last time Bluecoats Marched 10 Snares

In watching Blue's fantastic drums this year (including 10 Snares), I thought is was interesting to see what they accomplished the last time they march 10 Snares. In 1981 (drums by Carl Gannon) they marched 10 Snares and they won the U.S. Open Class A National Championship, later that summer they were also the first Ohio corps to be a finalist in a DCI Regional, at DCI North in Yipsalanti, MI. In twenty-five years they have climbed beyond all of the expectations of the Alumni back then but, we expect them to climb higher! Go Blue!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Maybe we can get lucky and have Carl post so highlights of '81 as we watch '06 keep climbing!!!

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

25 years ago:

Friday August 14, 1981

Ypsilanti MI DCI North Prelims DCI

1 Santa Clara Vanguard 89.050

2 Phantom Regiment 87.700

3 Madison Scouts 87.250

4 Freelancers 80.000

5 Guardsmen 74.600

6 Defenders 73.950

7 Geneseo Knights 68.050

8 Valley Fever 67.250

9 Bluecoats 61.100

10 Colts 60.100

I was going to say that it was in 1988. I keep thinking they used ten in those amazing snare features they used to do, but I guess it was 1981.

Neat stuff.

Go Blue!!

I was going to say that it was in 1988. I keep thinking they used ten in those amazing snare features they used to do, but I guess it was 1981.

Neat stuff.

Go Blue!!

There were 20 or so snares in the '88 Autumn Leave percussion break, but it was just for that part of the show though. I wish I could find some pre-86 recordings. :rolleyes:

I remember riding to Canton with Carl Gannon for fall practices in 1982...was some interesting times...

Edited by skewerz

And the final Jeopardy question is.....

What was the last year Bluecoats marched 10 snares??

And those fabulous snare-folks were:

Mike Newsom, Mark Gray, Scott Gressel, Tim Stauffer, Rob Bowman, John Kowal, Norm Wise, Betsy Mueller, Rick Eleck, Scott Swaldo.

These folks never got the credit they deserved for the book that they played!!!