Boston Crusaders: The Thread

I haven't heard much about Boston this year, they've kinda been under the radar because That Other Corps From The East Coast has been the hot topic. For no reason other than the cool name and dragon logo, I'm always pulling for them to break the glass ceiling and win a championship. Unfortunately, the first time I saw them in 2004, I was less than impressed. I'll be seeing them in Naperville in a couple of weeks. What are they up to this year? I'm guessing from the "Cathedrals of the Mind" name, there's going to be some contemporary wind ensemble stuff with a decidedly ecclesiastical flavor. Is the music good? Interesting drill? Too many props?

Personally don't care for their show. The props get in the way and the drill isn't very exciting IMHO.

it's pretty cool... I like the route they are taking with the corps. I kind of don't like the props, but overall, I really enjoy the show.

~>conner

I find Boston's show to be the exact opposite dicguy01. The cathedral window frames are used effectively and really bring the program together at the end of the show. I found their colour guard to be doing some great work throughout the show including a high rifle toss which makes way for a company front in the opener. The ending of their show is quiet and subtle. We don't see this alot each summer and for it to be effective it has to be done right. I think that Boston's ending is going to work well for them. I can't wait to see them next weekend in Atlanta.

Personally don't care for their show. The props get in the way and the drill isn't very exciting IMHO.

Actually, with their new drill designers this year, they've been getting some prettty good numbers in GE Visual and Ensemble Visual. I personally think the props work, because they are actually used as part of the design throughout most of the show. Many reviewers who identify themselves as "not usually a Boston fan" have said here on DCP that the corps is quite good this year. I would agree. The show is sophisticated and contemporary while still quite engaging to the "popcorn eaters".

And no, there is no narration from BAC this year (or last). They are in a tight, fiercely competitive group of about 6 corps, and they are more than holding their own. Tonight should be interesting.

BTW, the logo is not a dragon.....it is a "Rampant Lion", the standard of King Richard, the Lion-Hearted during the CRUSADES......now you know the rest of the story! :)

BTW, the logo is not a dragon.....it is a "Rampant Lion", the standard of King Richard, the Lion-Hearted during the CRUSADES......now you know the rest of the story! :)

Oh man, everybody's stealing my lines today. I can't get a word in edgewise. :)

I haven't heard much about Boston this year, they've kinda been under the radar because That Other Corps From The East Coast has been the hot topic. For no reason other than the cool name and dragon logo, I'm always pulling for them to break the glass ceiling and win a championship. Unfortunately, the first time I saw them in 2004, I was less than impressed. I'll be seeing them in Naperville in a couple of weeks. What are they up to this year? I'm guessing from the "Cathedrals of the Mind" name, there's going to be some contemporary wind ensemble stuff with a decidedly ecclesiastical flavor. Is the music good? Interesting drill? Too many props?

Not much recognizable music this year from Boston. That said, the show flows very well from start to finish in my opinion. Classy look and feel to the Corps. Solid in most captions, with no achilles heel. Props are big, but the Corps might get some points in some quarters where they chucked the vocals, amps and what not for this year. They do some subtle and quick body movements that are precisely done and effective, and there are some slight musical echoes interspersed in their show that is signature Boston Crusaders. Corps is best viewed from up in the top of the stands if possible, rather than down lower. Soft ending in show is either a letdown or effectively completes their show theme, depending upon one's perspective. Overall, Boston's just a solid corps that executes their creative show rather well this year. I liked them. Boston's not breaking into the hunt for the title this year, but they are in the competitive mix this year with some other good Corps that have long and distinquished traditions.

Edited by X DM