What happened at DCI Finals in 1996

Being a member of the Golden Lancers, I had the pleasure of seeing that '96 show probably 15 times that summer throughout the DCM tour and some DCI shows. It is defintiely one of my favorites. I'm glad I was there to see it in finals.

Yeah, I'm a Golden Lancer and marched that season also.

We first saw Regiment at the preview show in Toledo. When the Cavaliers beat them we thought that they had been robbed.

When Regiment won the Baldwin show later that summer though (in Pittsburgh)...we knew they were in for a ride.

That finals performance was incredible. Listening to the CD...which is great by the way...doesnt do it justice. The only Regiment performance that summer that was more emotional was the victory performance..which...except for a contra playing blasting the #### out of that disonent entrance in the closer...was a show for the ages.

I think that the Blue Devils should have won that night...but that Regiment performance....I'll probably remember it on my deathbed...I'll tell my kids about it...I'll name my first ulcer after it....it was that incredible and I only wish that the entire WORLD could have been there to experience it.

The stars have to align for a performance like that. My best friend HATES drum corps...but when I've put that CD on...he's actually CRIED before.

Imagine the joy I get from making a Republican cry?! :P

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, it was something to see and hear. End of the opener (4th Ballet Suite) I finally remembered to breathe. Absoulutly incredible performance. IMHO they won it clean over BD.

I was also there and, not to take anything away from BD, if I recall, it came down to a battle of PR's horns versus BD's percussion and guard. I enjoyed Regiment's performance more but remember that my friend and I couldn't say with certainty who we thought had the "cleaner" performance.

I would not have been surprised with either corps' victory but, since it was the first tie, I WAS surprised by that!

even though it is 10 years ago, i recall watching that show grow and build each night (quarters, semis and finals) in a way i'd never seen another corps do in 3 straight performances. it was incredible to watch and will forever be burned into my memory. i loved that show then and still love it today. :beer: :beer: :worthy:

When we saw them at the first show of the season I remember saying that they were going to win the whole thing by the end of the summer.

When Regiment walked out of the tunnel for Semi's you could feel the energy and intesity coming from them before they even played a note. They were definately hungry to move up the ranks.

No doubt about it, both BD and PR deserved to win that night, and miracles of miracles they both did. It was a great night for drum corps. I had sense before they announced scores that we had witnessed history, a tie! Phantom gave it their all and the Devils show is still my favorite of all time. Truly a magic night in Orlando.

Not to put a damper on the subject, but, BD's best show was quarters. Had they duplicated that effort, they would have been alone at the top Saturday.

RM - call it the way I saw it

ampssuck

Considering the score that night, I should think so

Wow.. Thanks for that Mark... Super cool insight into that week for you guys.

I as there in the stands all week.. It was a really amazing ride to see you guys crank it up and up after Friday. Truly unforgettable drum corps if you saw it live... IMO.

It is hard to believe that it was 10 years ago now.

I had the luckly opportunity to sit right behind Phantom's DM for the week.

Me being a huge PR phan for over 10 years at that point and then being able to share a special moment with parents of a person in the corps.

Definitely a night to remember.