Any results from Arnold, MD?

Just got home from the Arnold show....... and finally, I'm dry again!!!!

Mon Valley Express appeared in standstill exhibition at the show. Shenandoah Sound also appeared in exhibition.

The skies opened up during Music City Legend's performance...... heavy rain, gusting winds, lightning, thunder..... I mean pouring-down, you-gotta-be-kidding-me type rain. The DCA officials running the show wisely ordered Music City off the field, just as the rain started hammering down. Once the rain ended, Music City gave it another go, followed by Sunrisers and Skyliners.

Then the rain returned (this time without the thunder, lightning and wind) and doused the CorpsVets, Hurricanes and Marine D&B Corps during their performances. The PA system also cut out several times and eventually died, a victim of the rain.

Congrats to the Hurricanes, the winners of the show. And I'd like to thank the good folks at Shenandoah Sound for giving me the opportunity to announce the show... also "thank you" to the spectators who hung in there despite the poor weather conditions!

Next stop on the drum corps trail for the Haring family: August 5, Syracuse, NY.

Fran

Congradulations to Shendoah Sound.....

Great performences by ALL of the Corps in Arnold, MD...Thank you ALL

Congrats to the 1st place Hurricanes!

Having been away from DC since Bridgeport, 1985, it was great to see ALL of the Corps in Arnold, MD Thank you Fran, another great job...

Thank you, Marine D&B Corps, WOW! (with or without rain...)

Congrads to the Sunrisers, my last DC show in 1985? I had the honor of being in that show and on the Sunrisers podium. It was really good the see the Corps again. Congrats to Dea, great job... :beer:

Hurricanes 79.725

CorpsVets 79.413

Music City Legend 70.125

Sunrisers 69.075

Skyliners 69.050

Tony B)

PS: "thank you" to the spectators who hung in there despite the poor weather conditions!"......Fran can we have are car keys back now?.....LOL

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

what happened to mon valley express?

Today was an experience, I never want to repeat again.Approximately 11:00 just 4 miles from 695 our bus blew a front tire.After shuttling people over to the school and trying to get some rehearsal time in we were rained out.Then we had to shuttle to the stadium.Since all we were able to practice was some music, we had to do a standstill and leave.Of course on the way to our vehicles it down poured again.For 3 hours I tried every number I could find for road service to get the bus fixed or towed. I finally had one of the parents with us take me to the airport to rent a 15 passenger van that was to be reserved and it wasn't there when we got there.So with some redoing the back of the pickup and squeezing people everywhere,we headed home. Now I have to drive back to Baltimore and return the mini van I did get, try to arrange towing to a garage monday and then get the bus back.My priority was to get everyone home safely.After going through the ordeal we had, we did the best we could at the time, it could of ended much worse.A couple people didn't make it, and for once absentiesm helped.We're going to need some time to regroup and get over this experience, but we're safe.Kudos to Terri the bus driver for getting the bus under control and safely to the side of the road, the Maryland State Police who stayed with us until we could start shuttling people, I believe the Corps Vet fed my members,sorry I wasn't there I was still with the bus so I'm not sure but a big thanks to you, and finally MCL for use of their podium.Tough day eh!

Edited by jeff danchik

way to go Hurcs!!! :)

That sucks. I guess the phrase "when it rains, it pours" certainly applies here. Much appreciation for the smart moves taking care of the members. And kudos for getting out there and performing, in spite of all the crap that got flung your way. I'm bummed I didn't get to see you guys, except for when marching past your warm-up to go do our warm-up. And I'm REALLY bummed that my our contras didn't get the opportunity to hang out with your contras. Cause let's face it... contras are contras no matter what color uniform they wear.

Word.

Today was an experience, I never want to repeat again.Approximately 11:00 just 4 miles from 695 our bus blew a front tire.After shuttling people over to the school and trying to get some rehearsal time in we were rained out.Then we had to shuttle to the stadium.Since all we were able to practice was some music, we had to do a standstill and leave.Of course on the way to our vehicles it down poured again.For 3 hours I tried every number I could find for road service to get the bus fixed or towed. I finally had one of the parents with us take me to the airport to rent a 15 passenger van that was to be reserved and it wasn't there when we got there.So with some redoing the back of the pickup and squeezing people everywhere,we headed home. Now I have to drive back to Baltimore and return the mini van I did get, try to arrange towing to a garage monday and then get the bus back.My priority was to get everyone home safely.After going through the ordeal we had, we did the best we could at the time, it could of ended much worse.A couple people didn't make it, and for once absentiesm helped.We're going to need some time to regroup and get over this experience, but we're safe.Kudos to Terri the bus driver for getting the bus under control and safely to the side of the road, the Maryland State Police who stayed with us until we could start shuttling people, I believe the Corps Vet fed my members,sorry I wasn't there I was still with the bus so I'm not sure but a big thanks to you, and finally MCL for use of their podium.Tough day eh!

Jeff, it was an pleasure to meet you and to let you use our podium. When you guys walked onto the field to perform and I saw the contras...I said to the pit, "Hey, that' blonde contra and mini me!" and just looked at me. That was them wasn't it? I am always up for meeting more DCI and DCA people. I also got to meet Jerry, " Sun Runner." I apologize if I got your name wrong, but it was nice to meet ya.

As far as the weather...I knew as soon as the sky turned green, they were gonna pull us off the field. There was rotation in the clouds and we were all lucky that a twister didn't drop down on us. MCL was just happy to get to march and get a score. If we had gone all that way for a stand still performance, that would have just been sad.

Edited by bdjazz93

Jeff, it was an pleasure to meet you and to let you use our podium. When you guys walked onto the field to perform and I saw the contras...I said to the pit, "Hey, that' blonde contra and mini me!" and just looked at me. That was them wasn't it? I am always up for meeting more DCI and DCA people. I also got to meet Jerry, " Sun Runner." I apologize if I got your name wrong, but it was nice to meet ya.

As far as the weather...I knew as soon as the sky turned green, they were gonna pull us off the field. There was rotation in the clouds and we were all lucky that a twister didn't drop down on us. MCL was just happy to get to march and get a score. If we had gone all that way for a stand still performance, that would have just been sad.

The pleasure was all mine :)

Jeff, sorry I didn't get a chance to see you or the corps. As it was, I was surprised that the storm allowed me to see our own corps! I was pressed into service to drive our 15 passenger van (we're in the "too big for one bus, too small for two" situation!) so I was at the hotel getting some badly needed sleep. Since I had to drive down from Indy to Nashville (4-1/2-5 hours) THEN 12 hours up to Maryland, needless to day I was pretty dried by noon Saturday!

Penny's right about the WX. It was pretty scary looking out when I got my wake-up call at 8:00 PM, more like what I've come to expect here.

VERY glad you put the safety of your members FIRST. Perhaps we'll get to see you in Rochester (which, for me, will be a much shorter drive in MCL-1)!

Edited by K2SMA

Maryland

A weekend to remember

i was talking to someone on staff from the corpsvets at the gate while the skyliners were on the field

if we needed to wait until 3 int he morning to perform we would, because everyone had to travel so far to get there, and it would have been a waste to do a standstill in.

Also, to add to MonValley Express's bus breaking down, i drove one of the sunriser trucks, and our other equipment truck traveling behind broke down on sunday, thank god, in the dry, on I-95, anyone else have any travel problems?

anyone else have any travel problems?

Our trip was pretty uneventful.There were a couple of major traffic jams that set our trip back a couple of hours.

We had two marching members that were driving the equipment truck sharing the work load.How they made it through the weekend with little or no sleep,loading,unloading,,marching and performing and then driving 26 hours(round trip) I have no clue.These are truely two remarkable individules that have earned

a ton of respect with this corps in just the last two seasons.

Thank you Jon M and Dave D for your contribution.Its greatly appreciated. :) :) :)

Edited by camel lips

We had two marching members that were driving the equipment truck sharing the work load.How they made it through the weekend with little or no sleep,loading,unloading,,marching and performing and then driving 26 hours(round trip) I have no clue.These are truely two remarkable individules that have earned

a ton of respect with this corps in just the last two seasons.

Please don't do this! Drivers must be rested.Too many corps have had accidents, including deaths because of it. Sorry to be a critic. Plus drivers don't load or unload,thats the corps job. I believe that one of the reasons we had no injuries this past weekend is even though we own our bus, I hire paid professional drivers and on long trips like last weekend we had two.They're friends and they split the money of the one driver between themselves.They're paid well, fed and well rested. The equipment van has 2 drivers and the first driver out misses the show(usually me) to be rested. Love you guys too much. I don't want to see any bad things happen. :)