Lewisburg Scores

cavies played scheherezade in 02 or 03 i think. also, i said sustained notes. that does not necessarily mean whole notes.

Yea, that Cavaliers Scherezade show was awesome. But it paled in comparasin to the year Cavies played Young Person's Guide to the Orchestra. Last year's Bucs didn't live up to the Cavies version at all, huh?

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

cavies played scheherezade in 02 or 03 i think. also, i said sustained notes. that does not necessarily mean whole notes.

:rock:

You know what.................for once I'm going to use my brain and keep my mouth shut.

Boof doesnt need a mic :P

(just kidding Rich)

he doesn't usually use one at rehearsal - we can hear him just fine without one :P

Ahhhh the good ol days of DCA drum corps....now I know why I originally wanted to take this year off! b**bs

Just kidding. For those of you in the Bucs, get used to the rediculous comments and people that constantly want to bash you and your show. Trust me I have been there in my experience with Brigadiers. You should have seen some of the things people used to come up with.

as long as it provided you with some entertainment too. :)

Yea, that Cavaliers Scherezade show was awesome. But it paled in comparasin to the year Cavies played Young Person's Guide to the Orchestra. Last year's Bucs didn't live up to the Cavies version at all, huh?

and your adagio sucked compared to Cavies, as does Claire De Lune.

your pirate show was better than the Cavies tho:P

he doesn't usually use one at rehearsal - we can hear him just fine without one :P

exactly!

Ahhhh the good ol days of DCA drum corps....now I know why I originally wanted to take this year off! b**bs

Just kidding. For those of you in the Bucs, get used to the rediculous comments and people that constantly want to bash you and your show. Trust me I have been there in my experience with Brigadiers. You should have seen some of the things people used to come up with.

i just made fun of you and Scott, not the whole corps :P

Leadsopsrule,

Thanks for the feedback even if it seems to be out of frustration. Obviously, you prefer a different type of show than what we put on the field. I agree with you that we were a bit dirty for our standards (although I think your "every 2 seconds" assessment is a bit of an overreaction.) If we can be 1 tenth out of 1st in brass while still somewhat dirty and the other lines were clean, imagine how well we may to do when we are cleaner. I guess we will have to wait and see.

Before I respond to your post, I want to take something off the table of discussion.

where do they get these judges from? (or who paid the highest for these scores?)

There is no DCA conspiracy and nobody is paying judges, other than DCA. Many people that would discuss your issues with you otherwise will not do so if you make groundless accusations like the ones you made. I don't always agree with the judges either, but I trust that they are doing an honest job.

I was curious about your background since you are a relatively new poster, at least under this alias. I try not to reply to posts from mysterious sources. (I find I only get into trouble that way!) I noticed you list 3 years of Div III DCI experience and that 96 was your favorite year. Funny, 96 was MY favorite year of DCI as well. That was the year that my Div III corps won DCM and took 2nd at DCI Finals. That was a good era for a lot of smaller corps.

As an "aspiring professional musician" I would have thought that you would appreciated and recognized my corps' willingness to take some risks and perform a demanding show, both musically and visually. I agree that it is difficult to put the original orchestral score of a piece on the field and that yes, the Div I corps such as Phantom, Santa Clara and Cavaliers probably perform at a higher level than do we. Even still, should we really not attempt challenging shows?

You mention that you went home and listened to Scheherazade. Would you really have wanted us to perform it in its original form? Which 10-11 minutes of it would you have chosen? We decided to present excerpts from what we thought were the most effective moments in the piece, much like the Div I corps that you alluded to probably would have done.

Again, thanks for the feedback, even if it was a bit harsh. I hope that you get to see us down the road. If we are able to get our performance level up to your standard, be sure to stand up and applaude loudly like much of the crowd did at Lewisburg. (I ALSO went back and checked this on our video tape) Then be sure to buy a t-shirt. B)

Peace,

where do they get these judges from? (or who paid the highest for these scores?)

empire and cabs horn lines clearly out-played the bucs...the brass spread should be huge...ask anyone who attended the show. there was an audible cracked note every 2 seconds during the buc's show and the buc's horn line was the weakest sounding line out of the top 4 corps there...come on guys.

the overall effect of the statestmen, whackers, and cabs' shows were more pleasing to the audience than the buc's wanna-be cavaliers show. that was evident in the golf clap everyone gave for the bucs. honestly, i immediately went home and popped in my orchestral recording of scheherezade so that i could remember what it was supposed to sound like. please save good classical music for orchestras or good open class dci corps that can pull it off.

i'm glad that i don't march...i'm not sure i could put up with the politics of bad judges. they clearly were biased in the bucs favor. but hey, i'm only an aspiring professional musician...what do i know about sound. did these judges hear something i didn't? doubt it. i almost wish i could get a refund for that bs...but the statesmen and cabs made those $19 worth it. thank you to those 2 corps for not selling out and playing whimpy esoteric music, your performances inspired me to try to make it to another show this year. good job and good luck with the politics game.