Cookeville Corps

Nobody got screwed by DCI. The directors AGREED that the average score for the week of

July 16-22 would determine who would go to Cooksville. In any given week, one corps may do more shows than another corps. Madison had to do the afternoon show at San Antonio, even though they had beat Boston in their last head to head match up. Boston had the higher average that week. Yes, Boston beat Madison at S.A., but Madison had the higher average for the week.

Should Cavaliers be saying they were screwed because BD gets to go on last? No, they know that BD had the higher average for the week. Madison EARNED their spot at Cooksville.

Ranking

Corps

Average

Change

Blue Devils

-

The Cavaliers

-

Phantom Regiment

+1

Bluecoats

The Cadets

-

Carolina Crown

+1

Santa Clara Vanguard

Madison Scouts

+2

Boston Crusaders

Blue Knights

Glassmen

-

Spirit from JSU

-

Colts

-

Crossmen

-

Blue Stars

-

Capital Regiment

+2

Mandarins

-

Southwind

+1

The Magic

+2

Seattle Cascades

+2

Esperanza

Pioneer

+1

Pacific Crest

-****Pacific Crest did not perform this week. No average earned.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Nobody got screwed by DCI. The directors AGREED that the average score for the week of

July 16-22 would determine who would go to Cooksville. In any given week, one corps may do more shows than another corps. Madison had to do the afternoon show at San Antonio, even though they had beat Boston in their last head to head match up. Boston had the higher average that week. Yes, Boston beat Madison at S.A., but Madison had the higher average for the week.

Should Cavaliers be saying they were screwed because BD gets to go on last? No, they know that BD had the higher average for the week. Madison EARNED their spot at Cooksville.

Ranking

Corps

Average

Change

Blue Devils

-

The Cavaliers

-

Phantom Regiment

+1

Bluecoats

The Cadets

-

Carolina Crown

+1

Santa Clara Vanguard

Madison Scouts

+2

Boston Crusaders

Blue Knights

Glassmen

-

Spirit from JSU

-

Colts

-

Crossmen

-

Blue Stars

-

Capital Regiment

+2

Mandarins

-

Southwind

+1

The Magic

+2

Seattle Cascades

+2

Esperanza

Pioneer

+1

Pacific Crest

-****Pacific Crest did not perform this week. No average earned.

Figures a midwest Guy, but if the shoe was on the other foot,. You would be crying foul too.

Hey...I'm all for the winner doing the encore at these big DCI weekend shows. However, if you look back over the past two seasons since this "better for everyone retreat" started:

2005:

Murfreesboro - Cavies played last, won the show, did the encore

Indy - Cavies played last, Cadets won the show, Cavies did the encore

Allentown - corps that played last did the encores

2006:

Lisle - Phantom played last, Cavies won the show, Phantom did the encore

Indy - Blue Devils played last, won the show, did the encore

Battle Creek - Blue Devils played last, won the show, did the encore

San Antonio - Blue Devils played last, Cavies won the show, Blue Devils did the encore

I do think the winner should play the encore, sort of a reward. Last year at Indy and this year at San Antonio the winner had to leave...and the 2nd place corps did the encore...STRANGE!!! :blink:

Does this mean that on August 5th at Allentown, Bridgemen play the encore? I know we'd be happy to do it!

I don't really think that anyone got screwed by DCI either, I wasn't at San Antonio, but I really don't see how Scouts show got 2 points worse in the 3 hours between performances. I read other things on here about how the scores always go down to leave room for the other corps, why should Scouts be punished for the judges leaving room and dropping their score that much. It will be interesting to see how the scores line up this weekend with Boston now having to do the afternoon and evening shows instead of Madison, could the same thing happen to them, then the same discussion will happen only reverse the sides. Maybe this is the boost Madison needs to really start improving their score because we all know that show placement has something to do with how you are scored.

I'd also like to thank oldbandguy for what he wrote, I think it hits the issue right on the head. Thanks :blink:

Does this mean that on August 5th at Allentown, Bridgemen play the encore? I know we'd be happy to do it!

I'm sure that more people would stay after the scores were announced!!! :blink:

It does screw things up for the two big shows this weekend. However, if Boston is the better corps.....then all will be fixed at Quarterfinals!!! :)

This is the system in place, so therefore the corps chosen are the correct corps. It's not like everyone competed, and DCI decided the criteria just yesterday. If you're willing to win by the system, you have to be willing to lose by the system.

Of course, whether it's a good system is up to debate. I think everyone knows the lesson that you can't compare scores from different competitions. I mean, Devils had outscored Cavaliers all week, but lose out to them when they meet head to head. Madison may have outscored BK, but BK beat them, and soundly when they met head to head. I don't know why we use numbers from across the country to determine this, when on one night we have every Div I corps competed, and get to determine the top eight on the field. It just seems like that would be the better way to go about this...

I don't know why we use numbers from across the country to determine this, when on one night we have every Div I corps competed, and get to determine the top eight on the field. It just seems like that would be the better way to go about this...

Exactly.

I don't think anyone got screwed. Rules are rules, and according to DCI it was the directors themselves who decided that the higher SA score would count. Personally, I think this averaging is stupid. IMO, they should have taken the top 8 from San Antonio to Cookeville and the top 8 from San Antonio should get the bye into the next evening show. Sure, it sucks for Boston, but those are the rules. If anyone was really kissing Madison's ##### they wouldn't have finished 10th in San Antonio.

For Boston, I think hey they get more practice time because they won't be at Cookville...but it really sucks for them that they have to perform in the afternoon this weekend.

Personally, I think ALL corps should do the afternoon show at these big competitions and the top 12 should advance to the evening. It levels the playing field more.

Edited by gellio