Extreme Makeover: The Top 21!

It seems that every season, a couple of the division 1 corps undergo a uniform change – some of these changes are more drastic than others, while others tend to be simple or subtle in nature. As a corps member, avid fan, and artist/designer, I thought it might be fun to essentially “re-design” the uniforms of division 1 corps. The idea originally involved only the top 12 corps, and gradually expanded to all competing division 1 units. I have completed a redesign for every division 1 unit that competed in 2005, minus the Troopers. I have not completed a Blue Stars redesign yet, but might if they remain D1 next season. I guess it might be hard to redesign uniforms as traditional as those two units anyways.

Now, I’m not making any claims about the future appearances of these corps – I do not claim to have any professional ties with any of the corps, any uniform company or anything like that… this was a project I did for FUN. So, before you check out the link below, remember that these are just proposed uniform designs.

The site can be difficult to navigate – just click on the little tan button that says “gallery” and you should see thumbnails of my designs. Click on the thumbnail image for a larger view with comments:

See my UNIFORM DESIGNS!

Frankly, I would be surprised if any corps actually took up any of my designs. I try to keep a corps tradition, repertoire, and geography in mind when designing. I also have made decisions based on the corps visual performances over the last five years. Some of the designs are simple updates of their traditional look, while others have been given radical makeovers.

I’m currently working on a series of “ultra-fantasy” uniforms for some corps – uniforms that, while impractical and probably too far-fetched, simply look cool on paper. After this, I plan to create a line of “retro” or “throwback” uniforms for each corps.

Anyhow, hope you take the time to browse and enjoy!

-TGB

Hope the link works... :)

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not bad- they look quite a bit like they do now though- I was expecting some crazy spaceman looking designs! :P

I love the Cadets one, except wheres the creative back side?

Not bad- they look quite a bit like they do now though- I was expecting some crazy spaceman looking designs! :P

Crazy impractical uni-from-another-planet designs will be up probably next week... I'm noly doing a few select corps that I have a "vision" for... Regiment, Devs, and Cavies, to name a few... let me know if you want to see a trippy uni for a particular corps... I'll do my best. :)

-TGB

I really like that Crossmen uni as well. The early 90's uniform was my favorite from them. Good job. Also Glassmen (back to aussies), Phantom, Spirit (very traditional) and putting baby blue back on the Bluecoats.

...let me know if you want to see a trippy uni for a particular corps... I'll do my best. :)

-TGB

How bout Cadets?

Oh wait....GH beat you to it.

KIDDINGKIDDINGKIDDINGKIDDINGKIDDINGKIDDING!!!!!!!!

:P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P

Seriously though- I can't wait to see the weird ones...

Edited by Wild Nights

Great designs! Phantom looks amazing in the sketch...Vanguard too! Although, not sure how I like the belt on the hat there...less can be more.

Madison...wow...if they went to this, I'd be one happy fan.

I personally have always wanted Crown's unis to be a little different, your design looks great.

Glassmen's design change seems a lot like the Mandarins change this year...very different. I could get used to it...but I'd like to see it in a shako.

Capital Regiment...bars look wonderful...and the drop sash really works!

Great job on all of them. I'll be bookmarking your gallery and checking back often!

Can you make a "DCI 2406" Cadets one with the futuristic "Star Trek" Borg cybernetic paraphenalia built in?

That might be fun to riff on. :)

(edit: no "borg" slam intended. Just using it as reference point for "futuristic design" since Star Trek stuff was in the 23rd/24th century)

Edited by bawker