All-time Finals placements

Ever wonder who would win the all-time top 12?

From another thread:

A27Lancer wrote:

"A question that I'm too lazy to research right now:

What is the LOWEST position they have finished since they first made DCI finals?

Who, besides Blue Devils, have consistently finished better?

In other words, give 12 points for a first place finish in finals, 11 for second place, and so on down to 1 point for 12th. Since 1971, how do the corps rate? It might not mean a heck of a lot, but if someone has the time, it might be fun to see how all the finalists through out history stack up. (No fair giving points to a corps that was disqualified. Treat ties independantly - both corps score the same amount of points."

------

So, I took the liberty of finding this very thing out. I totaled every finalist corps' placement every year since DCI began, through 2005. First place got 12 points, 2nd got 11, and so on. I only calculated FINALIST corps, so if a corps didn't make finals that year, they got no points. The results are interesting.

In 12th place, with a score of 52.......

We have a tie.

The Bridgemen and the Glassmen

The Bridgemen could've gotten 10 more points for the 1977 disqualification, but the original rules stated no points for disqualifications. So I didn't add it in. But it wouldn't have bumped them up a place anyway. Moot point. Glassmen's surge in the late '90s helped them gain position quickly.

In 11th place, with a score of 70............we have another tie.

Spirit of JSU/Atlanta and Star of Indiana

Although Star does not have the lowest point total for a champion (Kingsmen 29), they are the lowest in the top 12. Spirit's absence through most of the '90s kept them from placing higher.

In 9th place, with a score of 76.......

The Bluecoats

Blooo broke into finals in '87 and has stayed put ever since. Nice consistency, and they're sure to move up in future years at their current pace.

In 8th place, with a score of 87........

27th Lancers

2-7 made the cut, with only 12 trips to finals. Impressive.

In 7th place, with a score of 99.....

The Crossmen

With a strong showing through the '90s, the Crossmen are on the edge of the elite. They are the highest scoring corps (in this list) without a title.

In 6th place, with a score of 238.....

The Madison Scouts

The Scouts' two titles, plus their consistency in making finals (except for two years), has put them solidly in the top six. It will be quite some time before anyone comes knocking on this placement.

In 5th place, with a score of 255.....

The Phantom Regiment

Phantom's remarkable string of 2nd place finishes (77-79), plus their title in '96 put them here. They've finished 2nd four times, and 3rd four more times. They've also been in every finals since '74 (their first).

In 4th place, with a score of 259....

The Cavaliers

It's amazing that with SIX titles, the Cavaliers are only 4 points above Regiment. Cavies didn't really hit their stride until '86, when they finished third. They would go on to finish 3rd four times, and 2nd place four times as well.

In 3rd place, with a score of 266....

The Cadets

Cadets have won NINE titles...........NINE!!!.......and are still only 11 points above Phantom. Granted, Cadets didn't make any serious noise in Finals until the early '80s. But since then, they've been on fire. Five 2nd place finishes, and four 3rds put them in 3rd place here, by the skin of their teeth. 3rd through 5th places are surprisingly tight.

In 2nd place, with a score of 326....

The Santa Clara Vanguard

Vanguard has won DCI six times, placed 2nd six times, and 3rd eight more times. Oh yeah, they're also the only corps to appear in every DCI final.......EVER. There are two corps with more titles, but SCV's consistency is amazing. Arguably the greatest corps ever, by these standards.

And our champion, with a score of 334....

The Blue Devils

BD squeaks out the title here by the slimmest of margins, beating SCV by only eight points. With eleven titles to their credit, the Devils are masters at winning championships. They've also been 2nd six times. That means that out of the 34 DCI finals that have been held, the Blue Devils have held their breath as the last two scores were announced....17 times. Wow.

For me, this was a very interesting way of looking at corps' placements historically. I found it very interesting to see the totals so close between certain corps. It will be interesting to see how these positions change in a few weeks.

The rest of the placements are as follows:

49 Blue Stars

45 Blue Knights

39 Boston Crusaders

39 Suncoast Sound

35 Troopers

30 Carolina Crown

30 Freelancers

30 Kilties

29 Kingsmen

23 Velvet Knights

17 Muchachos

15 Magic of Orlando

12 Oakland Crusaders

11 Colts

11 Sky Ryders

10 Argonne Rebels

10 Guardsmen

9 North Star

7 Seneca Optimists

6 DeLaSalle Oaklands

6 Des Plaines Vanguard

4 Royal Crusaders

3 Black Knights

3 Purple Lancers

1 Bleu Raiders

1 Commodores

1 Dutch Boy

1 Seattle Cascades

------------

Sorry for the long post. I hope everyone enjoyed it.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

As someone who always loves putting together silly lists, endless comparisons, and fun little games, thanks for that post! I enjoyed reading it, and I appreciate the time it took to do that. :)

In 9th place, with a score of 76.......

The Bluecoats

Blooo broke into finals in '87 and has stayed put ever since. Nice consistency, and they're sure to move up in future years at their current pace.

I don't think this will matter to your score thing but bluecoats fell out of finals in 1999. Just wanted to let you know

I think in a few years, Boston and Crown will break into that group. Crown will be there quicker than Boston with the success they have had the past couple seasons.

This is a nice exercise and all. But it loses something when only the DCI years are factored in, as if there were no Junior Drum Corps Competitions prior to DCI. The Troopers, Cavies, Boston, Cadets, Madison, and others ( and Kilties, Blessed Sac, etc would have to be included ) would have higher rankings if we somehow could factor in years before DCI. But since it's just the DCI years, it fills that need. And to be fair, it would be hard to assign points in the pre DCI years with contesting ' championships " too.

Edited by X DM

As someone who always loves putting together silly lists, endless comparisons, and fun little games, thanks for that post! I enjoyed reading it, and I appreciate the time it took to do that. :)

Ha, just you ??

I conccur with everything Matt said, thanks for the interesting list......

Awesome !

~G~

Wow - that is great. Thanks for spending the time to do this.

As far as Blue Coats in '99 not making finals - that's my favorite year for them.

Andy