Cadets the future of drum corps?

maybe itll end like the G to Bb switch.. everyone complained about it at first.. but now its just normal and noone says anything..

you know.. until the next major "revolutionary" change comes around for everyone to cry about

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Most of you speak of this as an apocalypse.

No one sees this as an "apocalypse" unless they're being melodramatic for effect; or are a garden-variety troll.

The real litmus test was after a show won with narration, etc last year...to see if the activity would follow suit, as it's wont to do with copying success. It seems that only a few have decided to go that route, with other top-tier programs like Phantom, Bluecoats and Cavaliers staying more on the "traditional" side of things.

I'll admit, when the rule passed, I was livid. It was unfathomable to me that DCI directors would vote that way, all based on a few Powepoint slides and some promises. Now, we see some of the pitfalls...and even constructive uses...that have come to pass from it, and its not quite as bad as the "apocalypse" of drum corps.

I have no doubt that electronics are next. Don't know how I'll deal with that one, either. Maybe Phantom will do a Rach. piano show that will blow me away, or maybe not.

Hopefully, though, all involved with this activity will draw the line at woodwinds as instrumentation in any way, shape or form. I truly think that there is such a miniscule minority in favor of this it will never come to pass.

While amps and electronics are going to be/will be controversial....they aren't going to be total gamebreakers.

But the Bb switch did not change the main focus of the activity. It was still brass and percussion. It just sounded a skoash different.

Well you see you caught yourself in a loop.

You can't specifically aim at the Cadets. They've probably voiced it more than any other corps so most people nag on them for it.

SCV did amplification

Crown did singing

Blue Devils did narration

Bluecoats and Boston also used human voice

Might I also add that every director approved the soundboard proposal for 2006.

You cannot just blame the cadets, when the top 12 directors of last year are aiding to this "future". They're silent supporters by their actions as well.

I'm not a fan of amplification or what is amped either, but maybe it's better if you realize that nothing their doing is new, particularily the human voice in shows...it's just louder with electronic aid.

Strawman argument. Facts are facts. Hopkins and Co. spearheaded the movement, Cadets have taken the ball and "ran" with it. Cadets & Co. are indeed to blame and to be called out.

~G~

But the Bb switch did not change the main focus of the activity. It was still brass and percussion. It just sounded a skoash different.

thats true.

i guess the REAL importance is..

how many high school marching bands are now using amplification and narration/singing that never had before?

how many high school marching bands are now using amplification and narration/singing that never had before?

Considering that amps/electronics have been legal with band programs for the better part of about 20-25 years...if not longer...then I'd say none.

If anything, drum corps is following suit with the band world with these changes...which is understandable, given the audience now.

Before anyone dismisses me as a fly-by-night flamer, I want to start by saying I have never posted here but I am a casual reader of the forums. I'm 35 years old, and I was in Suncoast Sound in 87, 89 and was a charter member of Magic in 1990. I enjoy drum corps, and I think it is a great activity for young people. I know how forums can be cold to new posters, so I wanted to get that out of the way.

I had the privilege of attending the San Antonio show this past weekend, which was the first show I have seen in several years. I enjoyed watching the corps, especially Cavaliers and Phantom. Very creative, and very entertaining.

However, I was absolutely appauled at what Cadets are doing now. I have accepted all the changes over the years starting with 3 valves, then the b-flat horns, then the amplification and everything else. But now, with the featured vocalists, I believe this has fundamentally changed the activity from Drum and Bugle Corps to some kind of outdoor Off-Broadway mutilation of the activity. I was very excited when Cadets came out, as they have always been a favorite of mine, but when the young lady started singing over the microphone, over top of the hornline, and walking around on the field, I was not only shocked, but disgusted. I have nothing against the kids in the corps, including the singer (I know they are all working very hard), just the very idea of their new style.

Many of you may ask, "well, why not a singer?" Well, perhaps I will offer a sports analogy. When Interleague play started in baseball (meaning American League teams would play National League teams), some traditionalists were upset. I love baseball, but I didn't mind this change because it did not fundamentally change the game. Same rules, same game. But let's say that now all teams had the option of using a smaller, harder ball, whenever they wanted, depending on the situation? Well, that fundamentally changes the game and it is no longer baseball.

Cadets have always been pushing the envelope with their creativity and that is actually something that I like about them. But now it's almost as if they are out of ideas, so they want to change the rules of drum corps, for everyone, so drastically that it is no longer drum and bugle corps. Star of Indiana had the same idea, and rightfully, they moved on to other venues to perform the kind of music they want to perform. I applaud them for that, and for what they have become. If I want to go see Blast, I will buy a ticket and go see it. If Cadets want singers, microphones and that kind of style, they should persue the same route that Star did. Off-Broadway is always begging for these kind of shows.

Drum and Bugle Corps is certainly moving in a more artisitic direction, both musically and visually, and I am happy about that. However, Cadets (and Crossmen for that matter) are encoraching on the very soul of Drum and Bugle Corps. I sat in my seat, stunned and frankly disgusted at what Cadets were doing. The only word that came to mind at the time was "abomination."

I'd be interested in other opinions, both pro and con. Please be mature and offer your comments without insulting the opinions of others.

i'm with you. every change until the 03 rules congress kept drum corps accoustic. this will be leveraged in time to get other electronics on the field

Most people on this forum have become blind and all they say is

Hopkins Hopkins Hopkins Hopkins when they completely ignore that one person in DCI can't make changes alone.

No way in #### is it just this one person. Like I've said to everyone who's suprised by what's on the field ... other corps have already paved the way for "Through the Looking Glass". Therefore innovation's done, simple as that, The Cadets are not doing anything new.

-Just to throw it up in the air

2004, amps were allowed, yet no one made the connection that people don't talk about amps when Jethro Tull happened.

Many people on this forum marched before you were born and helped to form and grow the activity.

The knowledge, effort, and history that thye (we) have is vast, and legit.

"No way in **** is it just this one persone is both true and false. Hpkins is indeed at the forefront ofthis new movement, its his lobbying and his influence that had this implemented.

~G~

Considering that amps/electronics have been legal with band programs for the better part of about 20-25 years...if not longer...then I'd say none.

If anything, drum corps is following suit with the band world with these changes...which is understandable, given the audience now.

yeah.. i was just curious about that.. i know my hs used amps (and a electric guitar) in 97.. back then it wasnt an issue.. ive even seen violins being ampd.. and soloists were ampd a lot..

but i know that some schools/directors have never used amps before, or narration.. i was wondering what kind of percentage of them will be using them now that they see it has become "popular" in drum corps.. since a lot of schools try to emulate a dci corps..

Most people on this forum have become blind and all they say is

Hopkins Hopkins Hopkins Hopkins when they completely ignore that one person in DCI can't make changes alone.

No way in #### is it just this one person. Like I've said to everyone who's suprised by what's on the field ... other corps have already paved the way for "Through the Looking Glass". Therefore innovation's done, simple as that, The Cadets are not doing anything new.

-Just to throw it up in the air

2004, amps were allowed, yet no one made the connection that people don't talk about amps when Jethro Tull happened.

um, many of us did right here on DCP. thanks for noticing