Cadets' New Opener

At the Wichita, KS show last night, the Cadets unveiled their new opener.

<scratch that>

At the Wichita, KS show last night, the Cadets unveiled the opener that they'll likely be using for the rest of the year.

There, that's better.

My first mistake was telling you that the "new" opener was actually "new". It isn't. Gone is the singing w/ the pit accompaniment, and the silent drill. Making a return this year is the narration. I don't remember if it is exactly the same as last year, but it's very close. Also returning is the Twilight Zone music, and much of the opening musical statement from last year. IIRC, this is all done to the same drill they've been using all year, ending with Dani back at the door, ready to ring the doorbell--but this year she doesn't ring the doorbell. From there, the show seems to be unchanged.

Personally, I don't care much for the new opener. While I don't care for singing, I felt that the previous opener tied the two shows together nicely. Last year's closing drill, with the "history repeating" being sung at the same time, really told you what was going on. This opening just makes the show feel like some kind of a remake of last year, not a continuation.

Oh yeah, and I'm not sure if they'll be performing this at every show, but the 6-7 minute "silent park & blow" at the very beginning of the show was executed brilliantly. It seems that now the very beginning of the show consists of a 6-7 minute silent standstill concert number while the soundboard operator (and about 5 other people) fumbles around with the PA, trying to get it to work. The execution in this part of the show was flawless. And everyone knows about the "Vanguard" yell, right? Well now, the Cadets have their own version during this part. It seems that the audience now yells random things like, "We don't want the PA!" and "Drums and bugles only!" during this section. I think it'll really add to their GE scores. And since they don't seem to be getting penalized for taking an extra 6-7 minutes, they should have no problem keeping this in the show. ^0^

That is all.

Oh my, a scramble to salvage whats left of the season. Desperate times.......desperate times........

~G~

Oh my, there you go, making sure to kick the cadets every opportunity you get.

About the change, I'm a little disappointed in it...what I've seen/heard of the silent opener I liked. Interesting...

About the change, I'm a little disappointed in it...what I've seen/heard of the silent opener I liked. Interesting...

You must of missed his posts a few weeks back praising Cadet shows from the past! :wub:

I saw that post actually...kick the cadets THIS YEAR i mean.

I saw that post actually...kick the cadets THIS YEAR i mean.

1. nothing super wrong with "kicking" the Cadets this year if you don't like the show design, IMO. It's not like he said "the trumpet soloist in the drum solo was horrible" or something "bad" like that.

2. he's absolutely right. Gonig off of judges' scores and probably comments, at the rate things are going Cadets will more than likely stay in the 5-4 range. What corps coming off of a record-high score/World Championship WOULDN'T want to try to "salvage' their season by making chances that could improve their chances of contending again this year?

I know, it's just the smug attitude people have about it, and just hoping for nothing less than complete failure...and at any mention of changes to the show, grin and talk about desperation.

As harsh and as "un-P.C." as it sounds, is it false ??

Many wishes of good luck go out to the Cadets. No vocals mean no issues with me, but I couldnt resist, I mean no more offensive than being told that this years Cadets are the best ever, they will win, it wont even be close, best demanding drill ever, seasons over....and having that shoved down our throats the end of June, beginning of July, huh ?? Works both ways..

~G~

I agree, both are extremes (I shoveled neither crap nor praise, btw)...and neither really contribute much of anything.