Sound board rule change

Sound Board penalty  

77 members have voted

1. 1. Should DCI make a rule such that changing pit volumes during a show is a tenth penalty each time?

• Vote Yes; make volume adjustments during a show a 0.1 penalty
    • Vote No; allow staff member to change volume throughout show (current situation)

Well, they're already cheating, technically speaking.

- I've seen the EQ knobs on these boards tweaked all over the scale. The rule only allows amplification - no other electronic alteration of sound is permitted. "Equalization" changes the frequency spectrum of the sound.

- Several corps are amplifying field musicians without penalty. Inadvertent though it may be, it's still not legal. Crossmen not only amplify the entire corps with their mics, they even cranked up the applause in San Antonio (just after the end of Born to be Wild, about 6:48 on the APD).

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

- I've seen the EQ knobs on these boards tweaked all over the scale. The rule only allows amplification - no other electronic alteration of sound is permitted. "Equalization" changes the frequency spectrum of the sound.

- Several corps are amplifying field musicians without penalty. Inadvertent though it may be, it's still not legal. Crossmen not only amplify the entire corps with their mics, they even cranked up the applause in San Antonio (just after the end of Born to be Wild, about 6:48 on the APD).

This is exactly the problem. We wanted to make the pit louder, but what we're now doing is allowing those with boards an effective advantage. Equalization does indeed violate the rule. I don't even think it's a violation "in spirit"; I'm pretty sure the rule was that you couldn't affect the sound other than its acoustic amplification. You're also very correct that they are amping field instruments, though it's likely unintentional. I didn't notice anything from the box.

If amplification is going to continue, some very defined rules need to be put in place. Effects of any sort need to be ruled out. Frequency manipulation of any kind must be penalized. It's not a fair competitive environment if this isn't enforced. While it's all entertainment and fun, let's not forget drum corps is a game, and a game with rules. We have rules to make the competitive environment fair. Let's hope they start to get clarified.

Wow just wow. My husband is a sound tech too, and he won't even entertain this discussion.

Wow just wow. My husband is a sound tech too, and he won't even entertain this discussion.

Will you, please? I'm interested to year your take on the statements you quoted.

Please, for the sake of a balanced argument, please tell me why I'm on crack. I'm open to the point, but I need someone to explain how this is a good thing. When I was "sold" on amplification, it was just so that the keyboards wouldn't have to pound. Now I watch guys run the board like it's an instrument.

Frankly, it would be cool to be one of those guys, but still... the point is that I'm not sure it's a level playing field. Fill us in on why it's fair, please!!

Will you, please? I'm interested to year your take on the statements you quoted.

It's kind of like "when you put it that way" (for me)....I didn't think of it in that terms only in what the original poster was proposing. But audiodb has great points. They are cheating and violating their own rules.

And since he put it that way about how...

Several corps are amplifying field musicians without penalty. Inadvertent though it may be, it's still not legal. Crossmen not only amplify the entire corps with their mics, they even cranked up the applause in San Antonio (just after the end of Born to be Wild, about 6:48 on the APD).

Then I need to change my vote to they should be penalized.. if this is the case.

This is exactly the problem. We wanted to make the pit louder, but what we're now doing is allowing those with boards an effective advantage. Equalization does indeed violate the rule. I don't even think it's a violation "in spirit"; I'm pretty sure the rule was that you couldn't affect the sound other than its acoustic amplification. You're also very correct that they are amping field instruments, though it's likely unintentional. I didn't notice anything from the box.

If amplification is going to continue, some very defined rules need to be put in place. Effects of any sort need to be ruled out. Frequency manipulation of any kind must be penalized. It's not a fair competitive environment if this isn't enforced. While it's all entertainment and fun, let's not forget drum corps is a game, and a game with rules. We have rules to make the competitive environment fair. Let's hope they start to get clarified.

This is just a brilliant statement to me. And I so agree. :rolleyes:

if the sound produced on the field by the members is altered in any way, then it's a joke. drum corps is about what the kids can do, not what the sound guy can do

Ok...it is late...i'm tired...but i'll bite:

What does it matter? How is it bothering your world? The corps directors voted it in and if they want it changed, they will do it. BTW...i say corps directors because many of you guys say DCI which isn't accurate really.

If rules are being broken it is up to T & P to take care of it i'm thinking. And since there is no T & P except for regionals and championships, well...maybe all of this is just another way for people to say....Amps suck!

You know, when i marched we only had two valves...so.....all you young rathscallions who got to march immediately on 3 valves all are jerks (I KID HERE OF COURSE)

Perhaps all of you might need to realize you are just becoming old farts like me and are to reticient to allow another generation to tweak, explore and change the art form.

As always, my 2 cents....and your headache!!!

:P