Sound board rule change

Sound Board penalty  

77 members have voted

1. 1. Should DCI make a rule such that changing pit volumes during a show is a tenth penalty each time?

• Vote Yes; make volume adjustments during a show a 0.1 penalty
    • Vote No; allow staff member to change volume throughout show (current situation)

OK, narrow scope here. Not an argument for or against amps, for or against vocals, none of that. I want to focus on what I see as a fundamental "cheapening". Maybe I am the only one that feels this way, so we'll see.

Currently, it is legal for a staff member to adjust the sound board during a show. The original idea was that this would be to make sure that the balance was correct from outside the pit. I actually have no problem with the concept of letting someone out front listen and balance. What I'm concerned about is that these board operators are adjusting the volume of the mics DURING the show. Not only that, I've watched them push the runners up during drum features, back during horn features, and generally assisting the dynamics of the pit keyboardists.

I personally think this is a terrible thing. I was in a finalist pit. I had to control my volume, match the ensemble, etc. etc.

So my rule change would be as follows. The staff member may adjust the board as they see fit up until the first note. When show timing starts, any adjustment to the board would incur a penalty of 0.1 overall. This would mean that if the board craps out, or you have to pull a plug, fine. It's just a tenth. But this would discourage the use of the board as an ongoing mixer. You can set the amplification rig for the surroundings, but then you have to back off.

What do you think?

Edited by drumcat

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd rather have someone in control of it to adjust...even though it still sounds like most are set at one volume level anyway, so it's a moot point.

The San Antonio Cadets APD is especially guilty of this...can barely hear the intricate brass parts in the closer; the .flv video on Season Pass actually sounds better.

GLONG GLONG GLONG is not a drum corps show. :P

To me, just watching the staff member move those runners up and down all show... it makes my stomach twist.

Well, same here...but if it has to be legal...I figure, at least make it so it's not THIS LOUD during the whole show, and brass can step to the forefront.

I don't think he is saying to **** with quality performances. I think all he is saying is that the quality performances (from a purely dynamics perspective) needs to emanatefrom the performers' ability to control and adjust their own volume level. Otherwise, the kids might just play everyhting at one dynamics level and leave the "mixing" to the guy at the soundboard. I don't think that relly helps the kids become better perfomers. And afterall, it's all aboutthe development and education of the performers.

I don't think he is saying to **** with quality performances. I think all he is saying is that the quality performances (from a purely dynamics perspective) needs to emanatefrom the performers' ability to control and adjust their own volume level. Otherwise, the kids might just play everyhting at one dynamics level and leave the "mixing" to the guy at the soundboard. I don't think that relly helps the kids become better perfomers. And after all, it's all about the development and education of the performers.
Yep. That's it.