Sound board rule change

Sound Board penalty  

77 members have voted

1. 1. Should DCI make a rule such that changing pit volumes during a show is a tenth penalty each time?

• Vote Yes; make volume adjustments during a show a 0.1 penalty
    • Vote No; allow staff member to change volume throughout show (current situation)

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The question now is...is it even possible to bring this to DCI's attention and have them officially look into it?

they could care less what we think

If you were to attend any other type of stadium concert and no one touched the boards once the performance began, you'd be asking for your money back.

With so many people playing so many different things in the pit, at different times, in different ways, with different staging of things behind them making noise, it absolutely must be adusted constantly. Add to this, the layer accousitic varaibilities of each individual venue, and the absurdity of only a ONE minute sound check in a stadium you've never stepped into in your life with the current gear and setup.

If someone wasn't on the boards... I would hate to think what it would sound like.

Also, this isn't something that is suddenly new for most of the staff working with corps. Back when I was in high school ... 15+ years ago... we were using amplified pits and full electronics... and the staff was pretty much all BD staff... from Jay Murphy to Dave Glyde... and pretty much anyone on staff that wasn't working with BD was working with another div I corps.

My point is that amplification isn't some alien concept that the staff of these corps just suddenly threw together. This is something that they have been working with in other similar capacities for more than 15 years, and understood that it was something that would have clear benefit to the ensemble.

They (and amplification) should remain in their "other similar capacities".

If you were to attend any other type of stadium concert and no one touched the boards once the performance began, you'd be asking for your money back.

With so many people playing so many different things in the pit, at different times, in different ways, with different staging of things behind them making noise, it absolutely must be adusted constantly. Add to this, the layer accousitic varaibilities of each individual venue, and the absurdity of only a ONE minute sound check in a stadium you've never stepped into in your life with the current gear and setup.

If someone wasn't on the boards... I would hate to think what it would sound like.

Also, this isn't something that is suddenly new for most of the staff working with corps. Back when I was in high school ... 15+ years ago... we were using amplified pits and full electronics... and the staff was pretty much all BD staff... from Jay Murphy to Dave Glyde... and pretty much anyone on staff that wasn't working with BD was working with another div I corps.

My point is that amplification isn't some alien concept that the staff of these corps just suddenly threw together. This is something that they have been working with in other similar capacities for more than 15 years, and understood that it was something that would have clear benefit to the ensemble.

odd how they said it worked so well in band and these staff members were experts, yet we keep having issues.

which is funny cause band has the issues too

Sure, lets make it sound like ### just to prove a point! To #### with quality performances

"Quality Performances":

We would do very well without all the "Amperage". It's trash, just like the vocals, narration, and all the other Hopkins inspired nonsense that has been inflicted upon the "Junior Drum Corps" activity.

Elphaba

odd how they said it worked so well in band and these staff members were experts, yet we keep having issues.

which is funny cause band has the issues too

I actually don't recall there ever being a problem way back then... it seemed pretty smooth. So, not too sure why there are groups having any issues with this.