Calling All Snare Drummers

I think i convinced another to sign up! (Red head in my pic below me :) )

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

100 count rolls? At what tempo? Even at a steady 132 bpm that's not long at all.

You want to build your chops? Pull out your pad/drum/couch/chair/floor (or whatever) and play a roll for 15 minutes. Then try 25 minutes. Then try 45 minutes and then 1 hour. By the way, this would be at a minimum 132 bpm. And, this should be at common time not three quarter.

By the way, back in the older Bush days (mid-to-late 80's and early 90's), to build our chops we use to roll around a factory!! I think the factory was a good 2/3 mile or so. It use to take us about 20 to 25 minutes or so to do it. And, it wasn't at 132 bpm ... not with Dugan in front of us - neck vein popping out and all!!

Feel the burn ...!!!

Well, the roll is at 12, and it's a 32nd note roll, not a triplet roll. Back in the day in the '70's, we played them for 15 minutes or so. If you can play a continuous 32nd not roll at 132 for an hour, man that's cookin' and I could see you playing forever. (Did your hands cramp up and arms get tight and hot or anything?) I didn't have alot of time to practice, so I was crunching my time the best I could. I gotta say, this is motivating.............

^0^ ^0^ B) ^0^ ^0^

Well, the roll is at 12, and it's a 32nd note roll, not a triplet roll. Back in the day in the '70's, we played them for 15 minutes or so. If you can play a continuous 32nd not roll at 132 for an hour, man that's cookin' and I could see you playing forever. (Did your hands cramp up and arms get tight and hot or anything?) I didn't have alot of time to practice, so I was crunching my time the best I could. I gotta say, this is motivating.............

^0^ ^0^ B) ^0^ ^0^

oops, it's at 120 bpm

If you can play a continuous 32nd not roll at 132 for an hour, man that's cookin' ^0^ ^0^ B) ^0^ ^0^

OK. I'll chime in on the braggin rights battle: A line-mate and I in the old Albion Grenadiers used to play a continuous roll (32nd, ~126bpm) together, on the back of a bus seat for over an hour. We did this at the beginning of every bus trip.

I also once won a $20 bet by playin a roll with discernable articulation on a puddle of water. Honest.

^0^ ^0^ B) ^0^ ^0^

Typically, when I got ready for my I&E (and early on, my pre-season workouts), I would do 2 15 minute sessions and then went to 3 and then to 4. I think I did an hour once or twice but most of the time, I didn't feel that sadistic!! I would watch a TV show and basically play when there weren't any commercials. The commercials would be my break. After I did this a few times, I would have enough endurance built up that I could play through the commercials. The key was to concentrate on the TV show and not on the BURN!! It's like holding your breath underwater. The more you think about not having any oxygen, the less time you feel you can hold it. Hold your breath underwater and concentrate on something else and you can hold it for longer.

RRLLRRLLRRLLRRLLRRLLRRLLRRLLRRLLRRLLRRLLRRLLRRLLRRLLRRLLRRLL

The End

Talking snare drumming for a second ...

When I was in Crossmen, we used to do the long rolls around the track. In Cadets and SCV, we never did any ... the thought process was that since you never did 5,000 count rolls in a show, the long rolls were unnecessary.

I tend to agree with not needing the long track-rolls. Having said that, after a long hiatus from snare drumming, I am using fast 25 and 50 count rolls to get my chops back.

Talking snare drumming for a second ...

When I was in Crossmen, we used to do the long rolls around the track. In Cadets and SCV, we never did any ... the thought process was that since you never did 5,000 count rolls in a show, the long rolls were unnecessary.

I tend to agree with not needing the long track-rolls. Having said that, after a long hiatus from snare drumming, I am using fast 25 and 50 count rolls to get my chops back.

Great call.