cookville show cancelled

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How did they stop the Cadets in the middle of their show? Blow a horn or something?

I'm betting the drum major cut the corps off.

In don't recall the year, but I do recall the show - it was Madison's with "Stars & Stripes" as a closer. And, the location was St Louis. This was a Prelims/Finals (regional?) show. I only got down there for finals because we were flooded in up in Chicagoland - major roads were flooded everywhere. Busch Stadium has arbsorbed the heat of the day (they were replaying videos from prelims on the Jumbotron, and they also showed the field temperature being very, very hot) - the stadium was a giant, smelly, sauna bath. In finals, only 1 or 2 corps performed, then during Madison's show, the sky opened up. It poured, and poured & there was lightning (fireworks for Stars & Stripes??), and Madison started getting louder & louder & the crowd went nuts. That was fun. Then we waited for what seemed like at least 2 hours. We teased a couple of times, when Star of Indiana's circus wagons made an appearance & it looked like they were going to set up, but it never happened. The crowd wasn't happy, since it wasn't even raining when they announced that the show was cancelled. Then, we got to drive home through flooded highways in St Louis.

Ahhhhh, I see now. Yes, 87 was the Stars and Stripes show, I thought you mean at DCI Finals in Madison....

I stand corrected! (Or at least I now understand...)

I'm betting the drum major cut the corps off.

Immediately after the table dances (sic) Hop walked out to the field and sent the corps to the tunnel on the vistors side. This coincided with the announcement of the suspension of the show (at that time). It was a MIRACLE no more than one person got hurt on those tables....

How did they stop the Cadets in the middle of their show? Blow a horn or something?

[insert unplugging joke here]

One of the more famous instances of a corps refusing to stop their show was at the 1973 DCI prelims performance of the Stockton Commodores in Whitewater. Major lightning strilkes hit just west of the stadium just as the corps started, and the chief judge waived them off. But, the corps kept on coming, and the crowd went crazy, especially when they played their concert of "Rainy Days and Mondays Always Get me Down" (I'm not kidding.)

I think the show sponsors are risking lives putting people out with lightning anywhere in the vicinity. Fans dumb enough to encourage it are worse.

Rain; no problem, no one's going to melt. I remember the Sunrisers at 1999 DCA finals. The corps on the field and the devoted fans/alumni in the stands were all who were standing in that monsoon. I was one of them (at least the corps had dry clothes to change into).

Lightning, even without rain (re: Boston last year), is a killer. Ask golfers. We had a local incident at a fair just last week. The rides were stopped and people were told to seek cover before the rain started. A bolt hit one of the taller rides and travelled down the structure and along the ground. It hit 5 people standing under a canvas tent where they thought they were safe. Fortunately, none of the injuries were fatal.

It's just not worth the risk.

Also, It was a big mistake having such a big drum corps show at TTU. The souvie lot was very small. It was a small entrance to the bathrooms/concessions. Through Jubal, Madison, and Santa Clara, the front isleway was filled with people, having trouble getting to their seats. I wish it would have been in Murfressboro. Better venue, less rain. There were other choices, one in Nashville, Murray, KY. Just a little rant

I just got home to St. Louis from that show in Cookeville.

In DCI's defense, they may have had very little choice in venues once it was determined that MTSU would not be available. That said...

Either the TTU stadium did not have elevators up to the upper portions of the seating area, or DCI did not have access to them. Dan Acheson passed the group of friends I was with and said there were no elevators available. Not good for my friend that has really bad knees.

We also never had our tickets checked. We just walked right in.

Concessions were very limited -- only chicken sandwiches and pizza.

Again, DCI may not have had many choices in the matter. Vanderbilt Stadium (where shows used to be held in the late 80s/early 90s) was a great stadium. Don't know about Murray State's stadium. There may have been financial considerations as well (e.g. Vanderbilt may have cost too much). DCI probably did the best they could with the situation at hand.

I think you're correct -- if the show was in Murf, there may have been a delay, but the show would have continued. Oh well.

Van

Actually...Hoppy ran on the field and waved his hands back forth until they stopped. :)

As I was leaving the stands after the Cadets stopped, a Cadets supporter was cussing like a sailor about G-D DCI, making the Cadets start their show when he knew they could see G-D lightning on their dopplar radar. There was never any lightning and he sure showed his lack of class! Sir, you were an embarassment to your corps!