cookville show cancelled

d 2/3 finals in 04, i believe it was during ECJ's show, the announcer started calling for them to stop since there was lightening really close...and they didn't, they finished the show. there was a huge discussion in the d2/3 forums on it.

Was that the show on the CDs? You can hear the thunder during ECJ's ballad, but there wasn't an announcer's voice. It's possible somebody went up to the DM podium and signaled for the show to stop, but the DM ignored the signal and kept the show going.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

d 2/3 finals in 04, i believe it was during ECJ's show, the announcer started calling for them to stop since there was lightening really close...and they didn't, they finished the show. there was a huge discussion in the d2/3 forums on it.

That was awesome.

I do distinctly remember corps performing in heavy rain in the past.

At DATR in '91, it started pouring rain pretty much at the downbeat of our opener, and didn't let up until half a minute or so after the end of our closer. The sound of the raindrops pelting our horns was so loud that it was difficult to hear anything else -- although I do remember hearing the crowd going nuts that we were still out there.

At the Meadowlands in '90, the Cadets went on despite the rain, ostensibly because it was their home show. The tympanist was constantly trying to wipe the tympani heads dry so they'd sound like something other than a pitched, dull thud. There was a bit in their show where a sop player threw his horn twenty or thirty feet into the air and caught it, and I was sure he wouldn't do it that night -- but he did. All in all a great performance from them.

However, I also remember 2003 Finals being nearly rained out entirely, and just about every show we attended in 2002 being delayed by rain the minute we left the field. I recall plenty of rain in the years I marched, but not plenty of shows being canceled for it. Did they just not care about us back then...?

Was that the show on the CDs? You can hear the thunder during ECJ's ballad, but there wasn't an announcer's voice. It's possible somebody went up to the DM podium and signaled for the show to stop, but the DM ignored the signal and kept the show going.

The announcer did tell them several times to get off the field, but they were having none of it. It was drum corps at its finest.

1997 Magic of Orlando during Semifinals. The more the rain came down, the louder the corps got. A lot of fans stayed in the stands through that downpour and you could feel the connection as the crowd fed off the corps' energy and gave it back with extra.

Wonder what the D-Rays minor league team thought as they cleared THEIR field outside the Citrus Bowl while Magic kept going. :P

The announcer did tell them several times to get off the field, but they were having none of it. It was drum corps at its finest.

Either the announcer's PA system was really crappy or a show earlier in the week also had thunder.

Listening to that recording now. What a great show, even without the weather craziness.

One of the more famous instances of a corps refusing to stop their show was at the 1973 DCI prelims performance of the Stockton Commodores in Whitewater. Major lightning strilkes hit just west of the stadium just as the corps started, and the chief judge waived them off. But, the corps kept on coming, and the crowd went crazy, especially when they played their concert of "Rainy Days and Mondays Always Get me Down" (I'm not kidding.)

What was interesting is that the judges put down their clipboards for a short period of time while waiting for the corps to heed the chief judge - maybe 10 seconds or so. Stockton got a free pass for that short period.

Then, there's always the '74 Kilties at World Open and the sprinklers ...

One of the more famous instances of a corps refusing to stop their show was at the 1973 DCI prelims performance of the Stockton Commodores in Whitewater. Major lightning strilkes hit just west of the stadium just as the corps started, and the chief judge waived them off. But, the corps kept on coming, and the crowd went crazy, especially when they played their concert of "Rainy Days and Mondays Always Get me Down" (I'm not kidding.)

What was interesting is that the judges put down their clipboards for a short period of time while waiting for the corps to heed the chief judge - maybe 10 seconds or so. Stockton got a free pass for that short period.

Then, there's always the '74 Kilties at World Open and the sprinklers ...

'96 Phantom at Madison. Corps stands on the starting line for 10 minutes, in the pouring rain, as the staff considers whether to perform. The corps performs and blows the stands down.

'94 DCI Quarterfinals. Top 8 corps are automatically seeded into Semis due to the weather. Glassmen are the last corps to receive a score so we "won" Quarters. :D

'93 DCI Finals, Jackson, MS. Downpour preceding and during the first half of Madison's show, right when the broadcast comes on. Classic close-up of a guard member, dripping wet, waiting to perform.

1987 Finals, Madison Scouts, right? Stars & Stripes Forever in the rain?

I remember in Allentown, i think two years ago, when the sky opened up during Glassmen's show. They literally ran off the field.

I remember that. That was an awesome show. Right at the end of Colts 2nd song, the timpani player was hitting the drums so hard that water was bouncing 10 feet in the air!

Talk about GE :P

1987 Finals, Madison Scouts, right? Stars & Stripes Forever in the rain?

Hmmmm.... 87 was my rookie year but I don't remember any rain on finals night.... Semis either, and I know that it would not have been then, as we went on right after Madison (no rain).