do you feel that being in the top 12 today...

Finals should be top 6. With 23 corps, 12 is more than HALF of division 1. This isn't the NHL is it?

Edited by dciguy01

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Finals should be top 6. With 23 corps, 12 is more than HALF of division 1. This isn't the NHL is it?

" Finals shouild be top 6, " and You expect fans to pay 75-125 bucks for that ? You'd drive fans to the NHL if you did that.

We might as well let everyone into Finals then

I think the past couple of years, being in the top twelve really means something... (snip)

Being in the top twelve has always meant something.

Making the top twelve is great any year--from 72 through today. The competition is just as fierce. The only difference to me is the higher quality of the student in the top six of today coupled with the student already knowing how to play a Bb--the music instruction is a little less intense. Basically, the music instruction is more about shaping today and then tailoring the show to near perfection, since the students show-up with the basics already mastered for the most part.

I think it's probably harder to maintain or break into top 6 status. The design has absolutely got to be there these days (according to the judges). We saw this with SCV recently.

Making finals is and has always been very prestigious. If anything has changed, I would say that corps do not hang on to a "finals or bust" attitude, as may have happened in the past, and that is definitely a good thing. I watched a corps cry their eyes out when I marched (not my corps...we made it....) after getting bumped out of finals by a few tenths...worse yet, a member slit their wrist and was rushed to the hospital...not THAT important......many times when a corps was 13th to 18th or lower, and fell there after being a finalist, they struggled even more the following year. Now, we are seeing more stability...again, a good thing. GB

after getting bumped out of finals by a few tenths...worse yet, a member slit their wrist and was rushed to the hospital...not THAT important......

Are you serious? Someone needs to rethink their priorities... (hope he/she was ok)

I think there's a vailidity to both sides of the issue:

...nowadays the "top 12" is more than half the competing Divison I drum corps. It's not the same as years ago when it was a big deal to even be "Top 21", and make DCI status. Having more competition makes it a bigger deal...when you beat 30-40 units to get in, rather than 10-11 ( and most of the lower units are predestined to a certain place in the DCI schema anyway...and no, I'm not talking about slotting...but how many people pick Pioneer to make semis here?)

The flip side of that is that units now are much more technically adept than their previous counterparts. 13th place in 2006 would have possibly been 8th in 1996, and so on. The quality of instruction is great, and for the most part the units are more stable financially than years previous.

I thought that DCI was onto something with the "regional Div. I" idea a few years ago, as a way to ease corps into competing with the big guns, and to still let them run a more relaxed schedule...which seems to reason would grow Division I in a "slow but steady" way. Apparently, it hasn't really caught on.

There aren't a lot of II/III units out there, and those that are sometimes not always with us each year. Considering that's where the growth to Division I comes from ...all the units from the lower ranks that could conceivably move up due to being stable and consistent organizations total only a few: East Coast Jazz, Spartans, Arizona Academy, and maybe two or three more in a few years. Getting back to 30 Division I corps would be great news...but I think that may be a few more years in the offing. :)

you always think like I do... Well mostly :)

I have to say whether it was 1976 or 2003, being in the top 12 always meant you were in very good company.

If you looked around the field at retreat say in 1976 in Philly, you might feel the same way as the kids did in 2003 - it's just good company to be in, whether you'ved beaten 60 corps or 11 corps.

Just my 27 cents.....

Top 12 is the goal. I agree with Adam K.....when you do not make it.....it hurts.

One can make up all the fluff about how many corps, or how competitive it is or (was). Bottom line, every div I corps should want to strive to be in the elite of the activty.

IMO.....The one difference between now and back in the day...is coming in 13th or 14th is not the end of a drum corps, as it was the case so many times years ago.

Recently....Spirit, Crown, Bluecoats, Madison, Blue Knights, have all slipped out of finals and then gotten back in.

The Colts have been out for a few years, and seem to be as healthy as ever, on and off the field.

10-25 Years ago...Bayonne, Sky Ryders, 27, Finleyville, Freelancers, Suncoast, Guardsmen, Dutch Boy, and dare I say the Blue Stars,,,,,all hit some tough times after falling out of the top 12...... many folded or had to start over, basically from the ground up.

Drum corps as an activity is in great shape these days, and the corps have as much depth and competitive prowess top to bottom as they have ever had.