Best Contra line Ever?

Jimisback

OK Here goes..

To please the starter of this Topic..Spirit 79..Sasquatch and Co, piston rotor horns..cool. :P

Star 1989, 1990, 1991 great players :rolleyes:

Cadets 1991-they actually pulled the slides to play notes you couldn't normally play on a 2 valve DEG!! b**bs

PR 96..First two mins of the show, nuff said B)

SCV in the late 1980's--Awesome on the K-90 PowerBore b**bs

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK, so I'm biased, but I'd like to give an "Honorable Mention" to the 1980 2-7 contra line. I don't know much about horns, etc. but for a variety of reasons, as you'll see below, they did quite a bit.

Clifford White, our contra that won the 1980 I & E with a 99.5 playing Flight of the Bumblebee made our contra line into something special that year...he played a solo (on contra) during concert with a soprano player which was outrageous. The contra lined didn't go up and down the 50 yard line, they were written into the drill in both 79 and 80 just like any other section. Some of them thought it would be a piece of cake going up and down the 50 but it was not to be. When you had Zingali writing and teaching the drill, throw common out the window.

During On The 20th Century they all kneeled down with a soprano in the center and played the solo with them playing background and swaying back and forth.

At the end of the drum solo, they made a pyramid behind the guard (both 80 & 81). All these different things made them very special to us, and I hope to the fans. They also brought their horns up in some outrageous ways, kind of spinning them, etc. They were just well...special to me. And they were just different... :rolleyes:

OK, so I'm biased, but I'd like to give an "Honorable Mention" to the 1980 2-7 contra line. I don't know much about horns, etc. but for a variety of reasons, as you'll see below, they did quite a bit.

Clifford White, our contra that won the 1980 I & E with a 99.5 playing Flight of the Bumblebee made our contra line into something special that year...he played a solo (on contra) during concert with a soprano player which was outrageous. The contra lined didn't go up and down the 50 yard line, they were written into the drill in both 79 and 80 just like any other section. Some of them thought it would be a piece of cake going up and down the 50 but it was not to be. When you had Zingali writing and teaching the drill, throw common out the window.

During On The 20th Century they all kneeled down with a soprano in the center and played the solo with them playing background and swaying back and forth.

At the end of the drum solo, they made a pyramid behind the guard (both 80 & 81). All these different things made them very special to us, and I hope to the fans. They also brought their horns up in some outrageous ways, kind of spinning them, etc. They were just well...special to me. And they were just different... :rolleyes:

Ok, Nancy, I have to give a big "thumbs up" to the '78 27 contra line because I used to hang with them after shows. Plus they were REAL good players. And real cute ###### guys.

'86 Star.

Close Encounters of the Third Kind...yup.

SOLID.

Peace.

In 78 we found out our show was about 10 seconds short so the staff had one of the contras play that 5 count Close Encounters thingy....it was pretty funny, and every one just pretended to look around...how odd to find out a prelims that you need some time added on... very weird.

Edited by LancerFi

Oy...

I'm sorry, but I categorically refuse to say "tuba line" or "tuba section" in a drum corps. Regardless of key, they're contras, dang it!

word! while i was in favor of the any key change, i do not call them tubas or trumpets. They are still the contrabass and soprano voices in the brass choir, so i still call them contra's and sops!

Oy...

I'm sorry, but I categorically refuse to say "tuba line" or "tuba section" in a drum corps.  Regardless of key, they're contras, dang it!

word! while i was in favor of the any key change, i do not call them tubas or trumpets. They are still the contrabass and soprano voices in the brass choir, so i still call them contra's and sops!

Or in Mr. Freddy Martin's thick Georgia Brouge:

"Big Haw-rns" :P