Atlanta scores!

Wow, and this conclusion drawn from only one show ?? Got any lottery pics for me ???

Cadets were hardly the most well received corps last night and hardly got a full standing "O".

~G~

That's funny b/c many of the reports on here would suggest the opposite. I was in section 324 and the Cadets were very well recieved here in Atlanta. As they were when I saw them a month ago in MA.

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Give 'em a break. The dome's never done a venue of this kind before so they weren't sure what to expect... I heard that sold more tickets then they expected, so concession issues and what not are ok. As for logistics, again, give 'em a break. They couldn't just open it up like it was a Falcons' game... that would be a waste of resources and workers... I don't think we need to act like there are 80,000 (capacity?) people when there are only 8,000 (just throwing out figures).

Next year, hopefully we'll more concession stands open up, the souvie booths moved out into the wider open section, among other improvements.

Sorry, but I'm not gonna cut them much slack here. This is not the first time DCI has hosted a major regional, nor is it the first time the GA Dome has hosted a large marching event. Even at an expected attendence level of 8,000, they were understaffed. There simply were not adequate concession stands open for the volume of people, and the set-up was not condusive to traffic flow. There was half of a single concession stand open for the entire second deck, and very few on the lower deck. No, they don't need to staff it like there is a Falcons game - we are not using the entire stadium. But I would certainly expect the concession stands on the concert side to be open - that is after all where all the seats are sold. A lot of the concession stands on the concert side were not open.

The lack of adequate concessions leaves you with the choice of not buying anything or missing a corps performance. We are fortunate this show was inside. If it was outside in the heat and you had to wait in the long lines for a drink, it can become a potentially dangerous situation.

The lack of adequate concession at stadiums at the regionals and championships has been an issue for years. Based on past experience, I would expect these are issues that can be anticipated, planned for, and included in the contract with the stadium. There are clearly some locations that have no problems getting it right (i.e., San Antonio, Denver, Murfreesboro, Foxboro). Others just don't seem to have a clue (i.e., Orlando).

I was pleasantly surprised at the number of folks in attendance when we went on. It's easily the largest crowd we've ever played to.

Sure, the concessions were way understaffed, but I'd bet we'll something better next year, should the show come back.

Sorry, but I'm not gonna cut them much slack here. This is not the first time DCI has hosted a major regional, nor is it the first time the GA Dome has hosted a large marching event. Even at an expected attendence level of 8,000, they were understaffed. There simply were not adequate concession stands open for the volume of people, and the set-up was not condusive to traffic flow. There was half of a single concession stand open for the entire second deck, and very few on the lower deck. No, they don't need to staff it like there is a Falcons game - we are not using the entire stadium. But I would certainly expect the concession stands on the concert side to be open - that is after all where all the seats are sold. A lot of the concession stands on the concert side were not open.

The lack of adequate concessions leaves you with the choice of not buying anything or missing a corps performance. We are fortunate this show was inside. If it was outside in the heat and you had to wait in the long lines for a drink, it can become a potentially dangerous situation.

The lack of adequate concession at stadiums at the regionals and championships has been an issue for years. Based on past experience, I would expect these are issues that can be anticipated, planned for, and included in the contract with the stadium. There are clearly some locations that have no problems getting it right (i.e., San Antonio, Denver, Murfreesboro, Foxboro). Others just don't seem to have a clue (i.e., Orlando).

Yep Yep and Yep !!!!!!! And OVER PRICED AS ALWAYS !!!!!! They don't think that many people will show. Or they don't care to make money.

The top 5, 10, 12 obviously provides plenty of fodder for discussion, but there is life beyond the 5 and the 10, etc. I only wish that given their creative, challenging, yet wholly accessible show, Crossmen were scoring better. One thing I've noticed is that as I follow them on their tour schedule, they don't seem to be competing as much as their "peers." There have been a couple of rain-outs, but other than that, a couple two or three shows go by -- and no Crossmen. Doesn't it potentially hurt them if they are not going head-to-head with their closest competition as often as they could be? :sshh:

Thanks,

K. Martin

I just don't see that ever happening. To score a 90, a corps has to pull an 18 in each of the 8 major judging categories, which means they have to pull a 9.0 or better in each of the subsections. As you can see from the scores from Saturday afternoon to Saturday evening, the judges always start low in a top 12 show, leaving room to go higher for the better corps.

At finals, they will rarely, if ever, give the first few corps anything higher than a 17.5 in these categories. Their thinking, I'm assuming, is that if they are going to be giving out 9.9s or 10s for the top corps, they have to start in the 8.5 range. If they give the first two corps a 9.0 and 9.1, what will they do by the time they reach the 12th corps? The judges RARELY give the same score to two corps in the same category, so they give themselves room to breathe.

Look, I know - the judges judge on merit alone, and if Spirit pulls a 19.8 GE Visual off the line, they'll get it...blah blah blah.

My point is that you will never see ten 90's at finals, based on the way the current scoring system is set up. The first corps off the line at finals will score in the high 16s, low 17s in each category, and the rest will go up or down from there.

AHEM..................... :wall:

(DCI) The SUMMER MUSIC GAMES of Southwest Virginia, Salem, VA

July 31, 2006

Place Corps Score

DIVISION I

1 Santa Clara Vanguard 88.600

2 Carolina Crown 87.550

3 Madison Scouts 86.000 B)

4 Glassmen 84.800

5 Spirit from JSU 83.550

6 Colts 81.850

Uhhhhhhhh the 10th place corps is only 4 pts away and has almost 2 weeks to get there................... THE END! b**bs

Ok .. I don't really want this whole issue to blow up but ........ I have to say that I have a deep grumbling "faith" in my loins that this years top 12 has some GUSTO!

I see almost EVERYONE finishing with a big big BIG push. Clean clean cleansville. Everyone is hungry. Everyone has something to prove. Old notions of who is in or out of anothers class .... all the old barriers are being broken. New rivalries are forming ........ more excitement for us. What's the end result ........... GREAT DRUM CORPS!

Watch them ALL kick it up a notch .... if the judges are too ***** to start with 9's just so they have room .... then they should be FIRED! It would be a disgrace to insult the activity and these fine programs with inferior evaluations just so that placements could be met. That's called slotting ..... which is more than unethical.

I'll leave it at that.

<**>

Uhhhhhhhh the 10th place corps is only 4 pts away and has almost 2 weeks to get there................... THE END! b**bs

Madison has 3 shows left before quarter finals and only 5 before finals. If they are going to break 90, they'd better do it soon.