question about domes

I keep reading reviews of shows in domes where people complain about the accosutics, and especially how narration isn't carrying well.

is it just some people that feel this way, or is it a shared impression by many fans in domes...and if so, given how this activity requires good accoustics, why do we keep having big shows in domes?

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, obviously not to avoid rain delays! :P

well, you're getting those in domes now too :P

Actually, I thought the acoustics in the Alamo Dome weren't too bad. The Georgia Dome was worse, but not horrific. Indianapolis is an acoustical twilight Zone - I HATE that place! This year was my first experience at the Alamo Dome, and I must say I was impressed. It is a very nice stadium, tons of restrooms (no lines - ever), lots of concession open everywhere, good seating, decent acoustics, souvie set up was good, no distractions from the hallsway in the arena, and the people running the place did a nice job. A big thumbs up to San Antonio. My impression of domes? If they are like the Alamo Dome - Please go back. Consistent filed conditions for all corps, everyone performs under the lights, and it's comfortable and dry the entire show - guaranteed (unless you are sitting in section 324 in the GA Dome).

Well:

The Alamo Dome is the best of the bunch...but remember:

It is essentially a square building which is better acoustically than a round dome like Indy or Atlanta. However, the GA Dome was far superior to RCA.

That being said (lol) I believe the new Indy dome looked more of a square formation than round...can anyone confirm?

Peace!

Narration didn't carry well at all in the GA Dome. However, they have nice elevator staff and decent water falls that randomly appear out of nowhere :P

RCA Dome is much worse! I've never been to the Alamodome so I can't say.

While I appreciate the comfort of the domes (who would have relished being outdoors in Atlanta's 90+ temperatures?) and the relative superiority of their facilities, the sound is mediocre (San Antonio), at best, and bad, at worst (Indy). And while I understand the attraction of indoor stadiums from a creature comfort standpoint, I've always questioned the logic of holding a sound-related event in such sub-standard accoustical environments.

It's not all that bad....some of the not so loud corps were alittle harder to hear obviously...but once you got to the shows that were pretty clean it was ok....and besides...if the competition last night wasn't in a dome it wouldn't have happened...so for me it was worth it!