when did it happen

Just wondering when did Drum Corps loose its sense of humour, shows from corps like VK, Bridgemen and its wasnt about winning it was all about the experiance of meeting new people froma all walks of life, and different corps, today is all i see on DCP is members slagging off (A brit term for insulting) people like wayne downey, Blue devils, the Cadets etc etc........... the saddest thing is we are all guilty of this I would love to see the old style drum corps come back.

Edited by Snapps

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just wondering when did Drum loose its sense of humour, shows from corps like VK, Bridgemen and its wasnt about winning it was all about the experiance of meeting new people froma all walks of life, and different corps, today is all i see on DCP is members slagging off (A brit term for insulting) people like wayne downey, Blue devils, the Cadets etc etc........... the saddest thing is we are all guilty of this I would love to see the old style drum corps come back.

Understand your point. But on the field the Cavaliers show is a pure delight and very funny. I havn't laughed so hard since VK. There is a sense of humor out there.

Just wondering when did Drum loose its sense of humour, shows from corps like VK, Bridgemen and its wasnt about winning it was all about the experiance of meeting new people froma all walks of life, and different corps, today is all i see on DCP is members slagging off (A brit term for insulting) people like wayne downey, Blue devils, the Cadets etc etc........... the saddest thing is we are all guilty of this I would love to see the old style drum corps come back.

Make no mistake about it....Drum corps has always been about winning.

I was referring to the attitude of fans, really the fact it seems to get to personel at times

Make no mistake about it....Drum corps has always been about winning.

I am usualy not one to disagree (much) but I feel pretty confident in saying that VK never started a season thinking they had a realistic shot to win the title.

Bridgemen on the other hand were contenders most years.

There was also a rumor going around at the atlanta regional that VK is working on coming back for 08

I really don't think its all that different now. Winning (or at least trying to win) was always what this activity is about. it is serious competition. Corps like Bridgemen and VK just chose a different approach to it.

Edited by johnric

Drum is no longer entertaining, it's simply a popularity contest decided by "fans" who get their opinions from the judges. Considering the number of folks that say "I haven't seen corps X this year, but they're not good, haven't you read the recaps?" as though a recap is an accurate assessment of a show and we should all base our opinions upon these "hallowed" numbers from a bunch of people paid too much for their OPINIONS when they in many cases have no formal training other than as a marching member. That comment is geared towards judges that "know" what they're talking about because they marched a lot of years.

I don't believe in drum corps anymore, maybe I should simply not write on here or support the activity anymore.

What do you all think?

Question might actually be when did corps lose their individual identity or style? Da Bananas and VKs style was the humorous side of things while 70s/80s corps like Kilties, 27th, BD, SCV, Muchachos, etc, etc, ad nasium had styles that if not totally unique were identifiable. Today appears almost all of that has been pushed aside for various reasons.

IOW - when did the phrase "Cookie Cutter" start to appear in the DC world.

Edited by JimF-xWSMBari

You know, I was thinking the same thing. Don't get me wrong, when I marched, drum corps was my life, and we took it badly when our closest rival beat us, but, from reading some posts on other threads, some people take it way too seriously!! How many kids are going to be directly involved with music when they finish their educations, and how many will make it to the "big time"? Drum corps taught me alot, but musically, it didn't help me get the job I have now.

Edited by susantaylor40