Most unusual, unexpected things to happen in drum corps?

What crazy mishap, accident, or unexpected event are you most fond of that happened in your DCI career, either as a fan or a participant?

For me, at the Powder Springs show last year, I was explaining to my friend (upon seeing Crown for the first time that year) that their show lacked the depth and complexity that the other shows had, and would probably not make it into the top 8 at finals. The kid sitting directly in front of me turns around and says, "Wow, I'm glad you like our show so much!"

:sshh:

Definitely was not expecting that one.

Edited by Hrothgar15

5 dollar hot dogs.

Highway robbery if you ask me.

5 dollar hot dogs.

Highway robbery if you ask me.

Especially for the folks who apparently have to walk out five or six times during the performances to go get one .... (you know who you are) :P

Edited by Liam

What crazy mishap, accident, or unexpected event are you most fond of that happened in your DCI career, either as a fan or a participant?

For me, at the Powder Springs show last year, I was explaining to my friend (upon seeing Crown for the first time that year) that their show lacked the depth and complexity that the other shows had, and would probably not make it into the top 8 at finals. The kid sitting directly in front of me turns around and says, "Wow, I'm glad you like our show so much!"

:sshh:

Definitely was not expecting that one.

Some of the X kilties on here will recall the time in the mid 70's when they were on tour in competition and right in the middle of their field competition, the field sprinkler system went on. Large gushes of water suddenly began flying all over the Corps from every direction. The Kilties though didn't flinch or miss a beat, and the entire stadium crowd got on their feet with an appreciative standing O for them after getting a good chuckle.

Edited by X DM

Some of the X kilties on here will recall the time in the mid 70's when they were on tour in competition and right in the middle of their field competition, the field sprinkler system went on. Large gushes of water suddenly began flying all over the Corps from every direction. The Kilties though didn't flinch or miss a beat, and the entire stadium crowd got on their feet with an appreciative standing O for them after getting a good chuckle.

I've heard about that (and a pic is floating around, too...someone used it on a motivation poster). *chuckles at the thought of a water-induced Marilyn Monroe skirt moment*

Many, many..... but the one that comes to mind first is this one.......

In 1983, I was a rookie in the "big corps" and we were at the Glassbowl in Toledo. At the begining of 1812, we went to the front sideline (I was around the 30) and changed flags. Immediately, we began moving backwards doing an around-the-waist move. Well, those flags had long, thin sort of streamers coming off the end of them. Somehow, the streamers on my flag had gotten competely knotted with the flag next to me. So when we picked them up and started the work, we nearly pulled each other over. By the time we were fully aware of what happened, we were by the front hash. So the other girl (a vet) just yelled to me "throw them off!" In one quick motion, we both heaved the flags back to the front sideline and kept going with no equipment for the rest of the closer.

I'll never forget that!

I've heard about that (and a pic is floating around, too...someone used it on a motivation poster). *chuckles at the thought of a water-induced Marilyn Monroe skirt moment*

That was me with the poster.

motivator2518593.jpg

Okay, I can (still) remember one:

I was one of the phantom parachute operators in 1989 SCV. Don't remember which show, but our phantom "magically disappeared" when we pulled the tarp out at a competition - the phantom mask was on the underside! :o G.R. was noooooot a happy camper about that one.