Best car speakers for drum corps music?

I'm upgrading my car audio system, and I want to know if anyone in the forum has advice about the best car speakers for reproducing drum corps music.

Right now, I am leaning towards Polk SR series (about $900 a pair). But just becuase they may be one of the best on the market, doesn't mean they'll be the best at reproducing all the voices in a hornline, or separate all the voices within the battery. Short of testing out all the speakers in a store (which is not the same as inside a moving car), I think input from members of this forum will be a much better measure! Thanks in advance for any input!

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I find a combonation of speakers works. I have a pair of Infinity 4 1/2 (with tweeters, anout 400 for pair) in the front doors and 6 1/2 (about 500 per pair) in the back. That covers the brass sound great, but to get those sweet bass drum runs down to the 5, I have a 12" sub by punch. I had all this installed since I'm a music major and wanted to hear a full spectrum a of music genres, but it's worked out amazingly well for drum corps. I suggest going to a car audio place and taking a CD of essential DC music. Then you can hear it played through various speaker combos at various output levels. Good luck.

So far my dad has blown out 2 sets of speakers by listening to drum corps CD's I burned for him, lol. I'll be sure to point him to this thread for replacing the latest batch. :)

I find a combonation of speakers works. I have a pair of Infinity 4 1/2 (with tweeters, anout 400 for pair) in the front doors and 6 1/2 (about 500 per pair) in the back. That covers the brass sound great, but to get those sweet bass drum runs down to the 5, I have a 12" sub by punch. I had all this installed since I'm a music major and wanted to hear a full spectrum a of music genres, but it's worked out amazingly well for drum corps. I suggest going to a car audio place and taking a CD of essential DC music. Then you can hear it played through various speaker combos at various output levels. Good luck.

:blink:

I can concur with this one, sort of. My Plymouth Voyager mini-van (2001) was fortunate enough to have the Infinity speaker system installed (11 of them throughout the cabin)..Man, when I crank up the drum corps, it's fabulous..Now the 4 disc changer with the little 3 point equalizer..treble/mid/bass could be better, but I can certainly get a great sound from that..And for just plain classical music, either on CD or the radio..it's the bomb!! My Toyota isn't quite that good, but I've been too cheap to see about getting Infinitys put in it.

Pat

Do you have Infinity Reference, or Infinity Kappa? My wife has Infinity Intermezzo with a sub in her Chrysler Pacifica, and drum corps sounds very good in that vehicle (7 out of 10).....

hum... If the corps uses amplified voice - will that change the type of speakes best suited? ^0^

If there's amplified voice in a drum corps show, it sure as #### won't be gracing my car's speaker system.

Let the fighting...begin!