Best car speakers for drum corps music?

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't plan on listening to any shows with drum corps amplified vocals on my 'planned' stereo system. Live, I think some corps do it well, others not so well. But recorded, they all sound pretty lousy and cheesy (it's one thing fo a corps to master the live mixing, and another for it to get recorded correctly on for the CD).

What I want is a sytem that will let me hear real separation of 'horn' voices: I need to be able to hear the 3rd bari section as well as the lead sop section, without that tinny sound some cheaper tweeters give out. And I want to hear all 5 bass drums as individual intruments, and not one muffled rumble.

I had some MB Quart speakers a few years back that were good at this...maybe an 8 out of 10. But I'm leaning toward the new Polk SR components...

Only problem is the Polk crossovers are huge! Not sure where I can even fir them.....

For my birthday, my wife got me Infinity Reference 6012si 6-1/2" front speakers and Infinity Kappa 692.7i 6" x 9" rear speakers for my car. I am so looking forward to getting those babies installed and cranking drum corps on the highway.

I'm upgrading my car audio system, and I want to know if anyone in the forum has advice about the best car speakers for reproducing drum corps music.

Right now, I am leaning towards Polk SR series (about $900 a pair). But just becuase they may be one of the best on the market, doesn't mean they'll be the best at reproducing all the voices in a hornline, or separate all the voices within the battery. Short of testing out all the speakers in a store (which is not the same as inside a moving car), I think input from members of this forum will be a much better measure! Thanks in advance for any input!

MB Quarts Q series seperates (5 and 1/4 woofer and tweeter) plus a 6 and 1/2 Q series add a woofer to make a 3 way component system is what I use and in my opinion the best out there. Very expensive and require a good deal of power, but I promise you that you will not regret it.

The dynamat is key. It will eliminate any road noise, panel vibration, etc. to get you a much better sound on ANYTHING that you use. Personally I'd go with the Infinity stuff. Kappa Perfects. I used to work in car audio, and I found the Infinity stuff to be the best out there without being a completely outrageous price.

We have infinities in our car and like them a lot; I believe they are the "reference" models. Nice, rich sound. Star sounds especially thunderous on them. :blink:

I loved tearing out those factory paper speakers. Man those things sounded like crap.

The dynamat is key. It will eliminate any road noise, panel vibration, etc. to get you a much better sound on ANYTHING that you use. Personally I'd go with the Infinity stuff. Kappa Perfects. I used to work in car audio, and I found the Infinity stuff to be the best out there without being a completely outrageous price.

While I will agree with you that the infinity is by far the best in terms of quality vs. price, I also think that Q series quartz are the best there is at the moment. (albeit very expensive)