When were you deflowered?

It was 1964....

Santa Clara University/Buckshaw Stadium

I was just minding my own business and I heard a rumbling in the distance...nothing new really.

My Dad ran in the house, scooped me up and into the car we went...it was the California State Championships, which at the time was a two day affair;the first day being taken up with Drum & Bell, Drill Team and finally Drum & Bugle Corps competitions, followed the next day by a huge parade through downtown Santa Clara (which to those of you familiar with Santa Clara is where the main Post Office is).

I have no idea who competed (CRS!) or who won, but I was hooked. It was at this same show I saw the unveiling of the Santa Clara Vanguard a few years later...I was hooked than too.

Who won VFW in 64? Just to give me some perspective....

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My very first drum corps show was Blue Rock's show in 1968. Some great corps.....Boston Crusaders, Garfield Cadets, St. Lucy's, the Brassmen, Blessed Sac, and Blue Rock, of course.

But the show that really got me into drum corps was a year later. The 1969 VFW Nationals in Philadelphia...a classic battle between the Troopers and the Kilties!

The first live drum & bugle corp competition I saw was in 1985. SCV pulled off their magic pants and BD did their stuff at a competition in Hayward, CA. I thought I had died and gone to heaven. A fan every since.

My first live drum corps experience was seeing Madison live in Houston in 2001.... AWESOME!! That did it for me

Spring, TX...1988

Scouts, VK, Sky Ryders, Freelancers, Black Gold & British Crusaders.

Changed my life forever!!

Hehe. I remember my mom saying that she took me to that show. My first show....and my first year of......well.....being alive ( Born earlier that year). As far as I know, I saw a drum corps show before I even saw most anything.

It could have been:

July 25, 1980

Casper WY DCW

1 Santa Clara Vanguard 76.800

2 Troopers 69.200

3 Freelancers 63.800

4 Seattle Imperials 59.900

or another show in Casper a year or two later (Corpsreps is missing some shows).

Regardless, it was awesome, but just not for me. (I wasn't ready then, but once I was, I was IN!)

It could have been:

July 25, 1980

Casper WY DCW

1 Santa Clara Vanguard 76.800

2 Troopers 69.200

3 Freelancers 63.800

4 Seattle Imperials 59.900

or another show in Casper a year or two later (Corpsreps is missing some shows).

Regardless, it was awesome, but just not for me. (I wasn't ready then, but once I was, I was IN!)

It was in 1952, The Contest was in Florida, I remember The Harvey Seeds Miami Rebels. and The Vanguard.

The first show I marched was 1955 American Legion Nationals in Washington DC, I was 14 years old, and illegally marching in a Senior Drum Corps (The Harvey Seeds Miami Rebels). Two years later I was one of underage members who got Harvey Seeds, Reilly Raiders and Archer Epler disqualified.

2006, Oswego Illinios. First show of my rookie year, and first live show.

1990 Winston-Salem, NC. Cadets, SCV, VK, Spirit (I think) and Crown. We got to the show site about an hour and a half early. Half of our group stayed to watch SCV rehearse in the parking lot, while about 5 of us went into the stadium to watch VK rehearse on the field. I stepped into the stands right next to the press box and I was hit full on by the VK baritone line. That was the moment that I ceased being a trombonist and became a baritone player.

Edited by Dash Fieldpaint