Regiment's "crass" sound

Like the title says, my purpose here is not to stir the pot, though I know people will use this opportunity to get in some shots...I don't mind, that's what opinions are for...

However, I am curious about this topic, since I posted something similar in another thread, and have not received any answers yet.

I've heard the charge bandied about that Regiment's sound is "crass" an awful lot. What exactly do people mean by that? Certainly, I've heard sounds from the Cavaliers, and The Cadets, and Devils, and SCV, et al., so I am aware that drum corps can, from time to time, sound somewhat crass simply because of the nature of our activity (outdoor performance). And yep...I've certainly also heard crass sounds from Regiment from time to time (baritone tear in the 1994 closer, overeager sopranos in 1997, overall bad sounds in the closer of 2000, etc.) But I would never categorize the hornlines I've mentioned above as "crass" simply because of a few bad moments here and there...not for any corps... I know this differs from certain corps' philosophies, but I simply don't have the same standards for indoor ensembles that I do for outdoor ensembles. I think it's an unfair label to hang on Regiment. Certainly, their brass lines get a lot of attention because they are loud, and tend to be the loudest or among the loudest hornlines in DCI. But loud does not equal the same thing as crass.

I had one guy tell me that the way the Regiment brass staff teaches is obscene! We're talking about a staff that has included, recently, three professional musicians that have played in many symphony orchestras. Nothing I have heard from them could be labeled "obscene," that is simply a bit much...and it makes me wonder what other staffs have to say about the Regiment hornline in the heat of "competition." Of course, once a staff says it, the members begin to say it and believe it, and off we go (and I am sure Regiment is guilty of this too...I know we were when I marched). I've mostly heard the charge coming from fans and alumns of the Cavaliers...now, this is NOT another Cavies vs PR post or thread, so please don't make it one...I am simply pointing out that the contrast in philosophy between both corps may be what causes the label of "crass" to be flung at PR. However, since I have also observed some people who don't state whether or not they are Cavaliers alumni saying the same thing, I am curious enough to want to do a little research.

What I'd really like is for someone to point me to instances of "Crass" in the recent Regiment hornlines. I'm talking more since J.D., Sam, Pat, et al started working with Regiment....more like 2002 to the present). I'm willing to listen with a fresh set of ears to instances of "Crassness" if someone will give me an example. I may not agree with you, but I will at least listen more analytically. I want to know what it is that everyone refers to, because honestly, I may have subconsciously ignored those instances due to my allegiance to the corps...this is why I am wanting to re-evaluate the corps' sound. Please be constructive...simply point out moments in recent years' shows, tell me why you think it is crass, and I will listen to them.

Thanks in advance.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm sorry that I don't have anything to contribute. I just had to show off my punk rock awareness.

I think Phantom Regiment has a fine sound.

Heh...it's all good. I taught a rock history course in high school, and know about crass, but didn't make the connection right away.

If you like Crass, check out Husker Du. Not quite punk, a little more refined, and one of the better bands of the 80s that no one knows of.