Regiment's "crass" sound

I felt they were crass in 2002, and I don't think that's a very controversial statement. There was some overplaying at times in 2003, where the corps allowed their hornline to err on the side of volume, rather than caution, but I think Phantom's sound has been improving every year. Last year's line was spectacular! I would have certainly given them high horns over the Cadets.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I felt they were crass in 2002, and I don't think that's a very controversial statement. There was some overplaying at times in 2003, where the corps allowed their hornline to err on the side of volume, rather than caution, but I think Phantom's sound has been improving every year. Last year's line was spectacular! I would have certainly given them high horns over the Cadets.

You're the second person to mention 2002, so I am off to listen to that right now...

Any particular spots in 2003? Might as well grab that DVD as well.

I felt they were crass in 2002, and I don't think that's a very controversial statement.

I'll agree with that.

As far as 2003, my preference is the concert recording on the DVD.

2005 is getting some love, but I still think the hornline in '04 was wonderful.

Sorry - I can't point out an example. I love PR's sound. Could maybe the swith from G to B flat horns be the reason some people think this. I know many people have said Scouts haven't sounded the same since they were on G bugles. PR is about the furthest from crass as you'll find, I think.

Any particular spots in 2003? Might as well grab that DVD as well.

Does anybody else cringe when the low brass comes in at the big hit in Canon (opener)?

You know what I'm talking about, right?

Gahh! :sshh:

That doesn't happen on the concert recording. I'm pretty sure it also doesn't happen on the quarters VHS (remember, that's the year they put quarters on the tapes and then told us after the fact).

I'll agree with that.

As far as 2003, my preference is the concert recording on the DVD.

2005 is getting some love, but I still think the hornline in '04 was wonderful.

Man, it's painful to watch the visual element of Regiment 2002, apologies to all who marched that show.

I've heard some bad sounds out of the sopranos in the opener so far...nothing terrible, but certainly a few people got over-eager and wanted to play the hero. The Buicks sound yummy. Gotta be honest with you, I don't watch this show often because while I love Shosty, the visual kills it for me, and I don't own the CDs. Listening to it now and not watching it...don't want to be distracted by the visuals.

Tim, you marched in 2002...can you tell us about the brass staff that year, and what you felt were differences heading into 2003 and 2004?

Also, what about the visual? Who wrote that show, was it Sanchez?

Oops, sop soloist in the Piano Concerto movement had some issues with tone.

Man, J.D. must have had a rough time arranging the 1st movement of the Piano Concerto. I'm not saying he did a bad job, far from it...but I've seen the score, and it must have been some rough nights for him figuring out how he wanted to orchestrate it. I think he learned a lesson on arranging piano concerti, because he's handled the Corigliano much differently, don't you think? The pit is much more involved in this year's than in 2002's.

Mellophones are a bit suspect (soundwise). I can see why people have some nits to pick with this show. Still find the buicky yummy though. :P

Man, it's painful to watch the visual element of Regiment 2002, apologies to all who marched that show

Lots of demand, from what the members told me, but relatively little visual pay-off.

I'm no horn guy, but maybe the issue is that Phantom knows it has a low brass reputation, and people (including me) love it...so sometimes the low brass players sometimes try to kick up the volume a little more than they probably should (from a sound quality perspective). ?

I'm no horn guy, but maybe the issue is that Phantom knows it has a low brass reputation, and people (including me) love it...so sometimes the low brass players sometimes try to kick up the volume a little more than they probably should (from a sound quality perspective). ?

Hmm....could be, except...most of the comments/issues I have seen/heard so far are regarding the sops and mellos. Maybe they are just overcompensating? Silly sops and mellos. :P Stop trying to be manly like us Buicks. ^0^